Wanted: Life hack -- twisted headset cable.

watts300

Due to subtle but repeated usage habits, my this headset cord simply cannot stay untwisted.  It takes place over a couple of days, but I think it would have to be happening because of putting the headset on the desk in a different orientation than when it was being worn.  

I'm concerned that over time, the wires inside the insulator will become worn and separate like repeatedly bending a paperclip.  Plus it shortens the overall length of the cord increasing tension on it. 

Rather than trying to make a continuous and conscious effort to keep it untwisted, I'm wondering if there are any tricks to help prevent this... such as wrapping the cord with something. 

Does any one have any tips? 

post-122698-0-21585200-1414335146.jpg

stand somewhere high and let the headphones dangle like a yoyo and it will untangle itself.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Some duct tape and 7 days on your desk. And then wrap them like this it those are earbuds :

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

That's a neat idea.  I haven't seen that.  I'll need to get a few straws. 

stand somewhere high and let the headphones dangle like a yoyo and it will untangle itself.

Ya, that's what ends up happening about every other day.

untwist it once, fix it to your desk.

It basically already is attached to the desk.   From the front IO, it is in about a 2" loop on the side of the desk.  With the rest of the cord untwisted, it's about 18-24" of length which keeps it up off the floor (and out of the chair's wheels) but enough slack to have a reasonable about of head movement. 

post-122698-0-63240000-1414336042.jpg

post-122698-0-70701700-1414336050.jpg

Get a thick cable sleeve. It will help preventing the twists:

That's a good idea, too.  How does the sleeve wrap around the cable?  Is it cut down the side like the straw trick linked up above? 

That's a good idea, too.  How does the sleeve wrap around the cable?  Is it cut down the side like the straw trick linked up above? 

Never used one. Just slide the cable in, and tie/glue the ends, I guess.

Personally, I'd go with recabling altogether. Braided cables are much less prone to twisting, and looks sexy: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222167-diy-hifiman-headphone-recabling-with-braided-strands-image-heavy/

The one I'm using now:

IMG_5518_zps51fc4678.jpg

Never used one. Just slide the cable in, and tie/glue the ends, I guess.

Personally, I'd go with recabling altogether. Braided cables are much less prone to twisting, and looks sexy: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/222167-diy-hifiman-headphone-recabling-with-braided-strands-image-heavy/

The braided cables do look fancy indeed.   I think I'll call that an advanced-technique and I would try your cable sleeve suggestion first. 

Lol it doesn't work that way shearme  :D

Haha.  Thanks for the understanding. :)