Screen tearing is not so bad... (I am dead on the inside.)

DivisibleByZero

Strange one, windows aero themes are supposed to enable vsync in 2d applications, have you tried changing to another aero theme just incase there is a bug? I know it's a pain but if that doesn't work and you have tried various graphics drivers then I would probably do a reformat in case something has gone wrong with windows themes.

on a 2nd look did you try a different PCI-E slot?

And what is your clock speeds on your GPU?

3rd edit ^_^, have you updated your Bios since getting your 970?

and if you can try hooking your computer up to a TV if you have not already and see if the lines continue to be there then new monitors can be ruled out.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/refreshlock.html%C2'> maybe?

I have tried just using one monitor. I still get tearing.

that is odd... If its happening on both displays, with different graphic cards, and with different display configurations, then the only conclusion I can reach is that the monitors are both timing their refresh cycle on a fluctuating electrical frequency, or maybe the answer is

9148130.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

when in doubt, bios update.

re-install windows using one (60hz) monitor & integrated graphics.

Install graphics card and drivers after windows.

try then (on single monitor)

This is a pain in the ass, I know.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Strange one, windows aero themes are supposed to enable vsync in 2d applications, have you tried changing to another aero theme just incase there is a bug? I know it's a pain but if that doesn't work and you have tried various graphics drivers then I would probably do a reformat in case something has gone wrong with windows themes.

I have tried different Aero themes. I have tried booting to Ubuntu from a usb key and the screen tearing still occurs. So I don't think it is a windows issue.

on a 2nd look did you try a different PCI-E slot?

And what is your clock speeds on your GPU?

3rd edit ^_^, have you updated your Bios since getting your 970?

and if you can try hooking your computer up to a TV if you have not already and see if the lines continue to be there then new monitors can be ruled out.

maybe?

I will try a different PCI slot shortly, but I don't think that is the case, since the tearing still occurs with integrated graphics. I have updated by BIOS, and even so, I have had the tearing before the GTX 970. The TV idea is not bad. I will give it a shot. I am doubtful though, since I have tried many monitors.

that is odd... If its happening on both displays, with different graphic cards, and with different display configurations, then the only conclusion I can reach is that the monitors are both timing their refresh cycle on a fluctuating electrical frequency, or maybe the answer is

9148130.jpg

Dammit. Doesn't Linus have a alien buster side business? Maybe I could hire them.

when in doubt, bios update.

re-install windows using one (60hz) monitor & integrated graphics.

Install graphics card and drivers after windows.

try then (on single monitor)

This is a pain in the ass, I know.

I already updated the BIOS then booted to ubuntu. I will try again.

Try this.... if you haven't already...

RIght Click on Desktop>Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings>Monitor Tab>check "Hide Modes Monitor Cannot Display" then look for 60hz. (do this for both displays)

NEXT

Go into NVidia Control Panel>Change Resolution (under "Display Tab")>choose 60hz for refresh rate (do this for both displays)

NEXT

Go into NVidia Control Panel>Adjust Desktop Size and Position (under "Display tab")>Select "No scaling" in "Scaling" Tab> Select Perform Scaling on "Display" (or you can try "GPU" if you already tried "Display")... Do this for both displays.

Save & Exit. Try a restart and test it out... hope this helps :)

Try this.... if you haven't already...

RIght Click on Desktop>Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings>Monitor Tab>check "Hide Modes Monitor Cannot Display" then look for 60hz. (do this for both displays)

NEXT

Go into NVidia Control Panel>Change Resolution (under "Display Tab")>choose 60hz for refresh rate (do this for both displays)

NEXT

Go into NVidia Control Panel>Adjust Desktop Size and Position (under "Display tab")>Select "No scaling" in "Scaling" Tab> Select Perform Scaling on "Display" (or you can try "GPU" if you already tried "Display")... Do this for both displays.

Save & Exit. Try a restart and test it out... hope this helps :)

I tryed Go into NVidia Control Panel>Adjust Desktop Size and Position (under "Display tab")>Select "No scaling" in "Scaling" Tab> Select Perform Scaling on "Display", no luck. But "Hide Modes Monitor Cannot Display" is grayed out.

Random thought - Tried a different GPU in the system with the 970 and see if the monitors STILL have tearing? (Since you've not gotten them tearing on other systems)

My instincts are saying "Only happening on system with 970, since getting the 970, try different GPU to the 970 in system with 970 (or put the 970 in another system and test if it still causes tearing) and possibly RMA the 970 if it's the cause". >.>

Random thought - Tried a different GPU in the system with the 970 and see if the monitors STILL have tearing? (Since you've not gotten them tearing on other systems)

My instincts are saying "Only happening on system with 970, since getting the 970, try different GPU to the 970 in system with 970 (or put the 970 in another system and test if it still causes tearing) and possibly RMA the 970 if it's the cause". >.>

I upgraded to the 970 because I thought my GTX 660 was causing the issue.

so turn off  global vsync and use ingame only or ingame off and global only.  i guess there can be an issue if bolth setting are on

remember it takes 2 seconds to google it yourself......

my rig (close anyway, couldnt find my qnix 1440p moniter or my msi z77 g45a matx mobo)   http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LzzqwP

Just before you gona blow that 150$ for new mobo... try atleast fresh install windows (remember to install drivers before testing for tears) and only use 1 monitor (pick one... as standard as it can get to eliminate variables) this way you can rule it out that it is an software issues (fresh install with latest drivers will fix softwares issue if it is one)...

And just for the sake of testing... is it possible to test screen tearing with different ram sticks? I've seen ram causing an impossibru problems in the past... so if you have ram sticks laying around that you know that are working perfectly then test them (just remember to remove all of your current sticks)

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

so turn off  global vsync and use ingame only or ingame off and global only.  i guess there can be an issue if bolth setting are on

Oddly enough, games are the one thing where screen tearing is not visible. It is everything else

Just before you gona blow that 150$ for new mobo... try atleast fresh install windows (remember to install drivers before testing for tears) and only use 1 monitor (pick one... as standard as it can get to eliminate variables) this way you can rule it out that it is an software issues (fresh install with latest drivers will fix softwares issue if it is one)...

And just for the sake of testing... is it possible to test screen tearing with different ram sticks? I've seen ram causing an impossibru problems in the past... so if you have ram sticks laying around that you know that are working perfectly then test them (just remember to remove all of your current sticks)

.This install of windows is about a week old. I had this issue before the re install. I have installed ubuntu onto a usb stick, and booted to it. I still got tearing. In this system I have 8x2GB of ram. I have tested every combination of ram stick to ram slot. I have tested 2x2GB and 1x4GB. No luck.

Oddly enough, games are the one thing where screen tearing is not visible. It is everything else

.This install of windows is about a week old. I had this issue before the re install. I have installed ubuntu onto a usb stick, and booted to it. I still got tearing. In this system I have 8x2GB of ram. I have tested every combination of ram stick to ram slot. I have tested 2x2GB and 1x4GB. No luck.

Still trying to figure that out?

I told you , your only solution is a HAMMER!!! or a chainsaw , whatever you prefer. 

Still trying to figure that out?

I told you , your only solution is a HAMMER!!! or a chainsaw , whatever you prefer. 

Yes, I am still trying to figure it out. The hammer/chainsaw awaits the culprit of the tearing, but until that time I will not destroy a perfectly good mother board.

Have you tried plugging your optical drive in and out again?

No, seriously, do you have a friend closeby that you can lend the mobo of? Or if you have connections at a pc store, ask if they can just plug one of their test mobo's in. Sell them to the idea by saying : If it fixes the issue, I'm buying the mobo.

Yes, I am still trying to figure it out. The hammer/chainsaw awaits the culprit of the tearing, but until that time I will not destroy a perfectly good mother board.

Please record a video of you end up going with my advice !!!

Just order a cheap mobo and use your order from distance right. That means that you can return a product within 14 days if you are not happy with it or bought the wrong one. You might have to pay the shipping cost tho.