Best 980?

UltraNeonGaming
Go to solution Solved by Schoolofmonkey,

Thanks for using your free time to record the G1 for me, I really appreciate it :)

Done mate.

Sorry it took so long, 5 kids take up a lot of you time..

I filmed it on my Samsung Galaxy S3, so it will sound a little louder due to being a phone mic.

Also is your PSU enough? Since you have a PSU with Corsair Link can you tell me how much your whole system is using?

Because I have been planning a 4790k with Strix 980 build for a while now

I honestly havent looked at how much power its using. I know that a 760w PSU has no problems keeping up. I can look and see what kind of power it uses. Give me a few minutes.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Yes, when looping Unigine Valley for an hour. I have no way to monitor VRM temps.

Nice, the reason i'm worried about VRM temps is because some1 said people are reporting them hitting 90c

I honestly havent looked at how much power its using. I know that a 760w PSU has no problems keeping up. I can look and see what kind of power it uses. Give me a few minutes.

Okay :D

Okay :D

After one loop of Unigine Valley Corsair Link says the maximum power output from the PSU was 319w of the 760. Enough head room to add a second without any worry. That is with a 4790K running at 4.7GHz. Hardware monitor shows the max GPU temp after the loop was 63c.

I have heard that before about the VRM temps, but I am trusting Asus I guess. Lol. I can neither confirm nor deny the issue as I cannot measure it on my personal card.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

After one loop of Unigine Valley Corsair Link says the maximum power output from the PSU was 319w of the 760. Enough head room to add a second without any worry. That is with a 4790K running at 4.7GHz. Hardware monitor shows the max GPU temp after the loop was 63c.

I have heard that before about the VRM temps, but I am trusting Asus I guess. Lol. I can neither confirm nor deny the issue as I cannot measure it on my personal card.

Okay thanks, that means il be good with the HX850i :D

Okay thanks, that means il be good with the HX850i :D

Yeah lol you will be just fine.

Yeah lol you will be just fine.

Hey just found out that you can use Asus GPU tweak to see the VRM temps, If you don't mind could you please show me what temps you get as this is my only worry with this card.

Hey just found out that you can use Asus GPU tweak to see the VRM temps, If you don't mind could you please show me what temps you get as this is my only worry with this card.

I just downloaded GPU Tweek but I dont see a VRM temp monitor anywhere. Any ideas where it is?

I just downloaded GPU Tweek but I dont see a VRM temp monitor anywhere. Any ideas where it is?

Hmm I saw on this forum some posts about the Asus 780 (Yes 780) and they could see their VRM temps in there

If you can't find it it's Okay :D

You should keep Asus's GPU tweak if you didn't have it installed already, it's good for monitoring your card, Especially a beast like the 980

If you can't find it it's Okay :D

You should keep Asus's GPU tweak if you didn't have it installed already, it's good for monitoring your card, Especially a beast like the 980

Thermal imagine temps

Strix GTX970

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_970_strix_review,9.html

Strix GTX980

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_strix_review,9.html

Now remember GURU3D run them on an OPEN test bench with a ambient of 21c in Antarctic conditions :P

After owning 2 Asus GTX780ti cards, one DirectCUII and Matrix, BOTH had major problems with cooling the VRM's.

Both GTX780ti cards the vrm's hit over 100c.

The Strix is no better, Guru3d still hit 70c gpu on both cards with very low ambient temps.

If anyone tells you theirs is below 70c in a closed case with higher ambient are lying or have a aggressive fan profile.

The G1 has lower temps from the Guru3d review and higher in my closed Enthoo Primo case, though I haven't seen over 68c with the air con off.

GTX970 G1 Gaming:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_970_g1_gaming_review,9.html

GTX980 G1 Gaming

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_g1_gaming_review,9.html

But each to their own.

I'm not a Gigabyte fan, do not like their motherboards at all, and had 2 faulty GTX780ti's.

I have all ROG stuff including my motherboard, but the facts spoke for themselves in this instant.

The G1 is a better, cooler and higher performer than the Strix, but yes the Strix is sexy.. ;)

Here's my temps and overclock ran this morning before turning on the Air con, ambient 26c, it really hot on the Gold Coast today..

post-59432-0-29440600-1414382250_thumb.j

Thermal imagine temps

Strix GTX970

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_970_strix_review,9.html

Strix GTX980

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_strix_review,9.html

Now remember GURU3D run them on an OPEN test bench with a ambient of 21c in Antarctic conditions :P

After owning 2 Asus GTX780ti cards, one DirectCUII and Matrix, BOTH had major problems with cooling the VRM's.

Both GTX780ti cards the vrm's hit over 100c.

The Strix is no better, Guru3d still hit 70c gpu on both cards with very low ambient temps.

If anyone tells you theirs is below 70c in a closed case with higher ambient are lying or have a aggressive fan profile.

The G1 has lower temps from the Guru3d review and higher in my closed Enthoo Primo case, though I haven't seen over 68c with the air con off.

GTX970 G1 Gaming:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_970_g1_gaming_review,9.html

GTX980 G1 Gaming

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_g1_gaming_review,9.html

But each to their own.

I'm not a Gigabyte fan, do not like their motherboards at all, and had 2 faulty GTX780ti's.

I have all ROG stuff including my motherboard, but the facts spoke for themselves in this instant.

The G1 is a better, cooler and higher performer than the Strix, but yes the Strix is sexy.. ;)

Here's my temps and overclock ran this morning before turning on the Air con, ambient 26c, it really hot on the Gold Coast today..

Thanks for the reply, Do you think that these high VRM temps will be a problem? Also consider that I will keep this system for a max of 4 years, so I want it too last

I also don't want the gigabyte one because it's loud and I am a quiet freak

Thanks for the reply, Do you think that these high VRM temps will be a problem? Also consider that I will keep this system for a max of 4 years, so I want it too last

I also don't want the gigabyte one because it's loud and I am a quiet freak

Mate that makes 2 of us, because I have 2 babies, one 2 1/2 and the other 15 months, bed time is quiet time in the house, so any noise from my PC on my desk bugs me.

I had to put a Kraken G10 on my GTX780ti Matrix because the fan noise bugged me.

Well lets say the G1 fans are quieter than the 2 Nocuta 140mm fans on the Kraken x60 cooling the Matrix.

I won't lie, yes when you first boot your machine the G1 Gaming fans run at 100% until Windows/Linux loads, but from there on it you never see over 50%, and that was because I had a HUGE overclock on the card.

Keeping it stock (that what I went with the GTX980 over the GTX780ti I had) I personally have never seen over 40% fan, which actually very quiet.

This has to do with the rather long heat sink and 3 fan design on the G1's.

Yes they don't have the 0db feature that turns off the fan, but the fans run at 12% (300rpm), which unless you head is against the card itself you'll never hear.

I wish there was a proper way to show you the noise, because they aren't loud when in use.

I too looked at the Strix because I do love the look of the Asus cards, it would of matched my Maximus VII Hero perfectly, but I wasn't going to have another hot card from Asus, that I had to fiddle with to keep it cool.

Honestly yes you can run the VRM's at 100c without causing harm, many people own Asus cards, but the life span is shortened.

I don't mind which card you buy in the end, both card's are beasts and have their own pro's and cons.

Just helping with real life experiences and info, there's nothing worse than dropping $800+ on a card and hating it, I know I've done it...

Mate that makes 2 of us, because I have 2 babies, one 2 1/2 and the other 15 months, bed time is quiet time in the house, so any noise from my PC on my desk bugs me.

I had to put a Kraken G10 on my GTX780ti Matrix because the fan noise bugged me.

Well lets say the G1 fans are quieter than the 2 Nocuta 140mm fans on the Kraken x60 cooling the Matrix.

I won't lie, yes when you first boot your machine the G1 Gaming fans run at 100% until Windows/Linux loads, but from there on it you never see over 50%, and that was because I had a HUGE overclock on the card.

Keeping it stock (that what I went with the GTX980 over the GTX780ti I had) I personally have never seen over 40% fan, which actually very quiet.

This has to do with the rather long heat sink and 3 fan design on the G1's.

Yes they don't have the 0db feature that turns off the fan, but the fans run at 12% (300rpm), which unless you head is against the card itself you'll never hear.

I wish there was a proper way to show you the noise, because they aren't loud when in use.

I too looked at the Strix because I do love the look of the Asus cards, it would of matched my Maximus VII Hero perfectly, but I wasn't going to have another hot card from Asus, that I had to fiddle with to keep it cool.

Honestly yes you can run the VRM's at 100c without causing harm, many people own Asus cards, but the life span is shortened.

I don't mind which card you buy in the end, both card's are beasts and have their own pro's and cons.

Just helping with real life experiences and info, there's nothing worse than dropping $800+ on a card and hating it, I know I've done it...

Thanks, I'm still choosing, I like the gigabyte one because of it's performance, and the Strix because it will match my Asus and Corsair themed build (Please sponsor me Asus/Corsair :))

I will think about which card I will drop my money on

Thanks, I'm still choosing, I like the gigabyte one because of it's performance, and the Strix because it will match my Asus and Corsair themed build (Please sponsor me Asus/Corsair :))

I will think about which card I will drop my money on

Yeah wish I could change the stupid blue led on the G1 to a red one, then it would match the Hero, the rest of the card is black including the backplate..lol..

But whatever you choose you'll be happy with gaming performance.. :D

Yeah wish I could change the stupid blue led on the G1 to a red one, then it would match the Hero, the rest of the card is black including the backplate..lol..

But whatever you choose you'll be happy with gaming performance.. :D

Il probably go with the STRIX 980, also this is my first PC build! I am really excited! :D

So you think those VRM temps won't damage the card in anyway or hurt overclocking too bad, I know the G1 overclocks better but do you think when I raise the voltage while overclocking, the VRM's will run too hot? Also what is the max temp VRM's can run at before they will get damaged.

Il probably go with the STRIX 980, also this is my first PC build! I am really excited! :D

So you think those VRM temps won't damage the card in anyway or hurt overclocking too bad, I know the G1 overclocks better but do you think when I raise the voltage while overclocking, the VRM's will run too hot? Also what is the max temp VRM's can run at before they will get damaged.

Yes it will limit your overclocking a bit, it's already been proven that the G1 is overclocking much higher than the Strix, if you can stick it under water you won't have a problem.

Generally the recommended temps for VRM's are 80c and under, it's the sweet spot to prolong their life.

But unless you're going to do a stupidly higher overclock with over voltage (which you can't do atm anyway) the card will shut itself down before you cause any real damage.

You won't damage a VRM, high temps will just shorten the lifespan, but the GTX780ti Matrix would run at 104c and never crash, but it was still a really high temp, which pushed up all the temps in the case.

Sad thing is you can't store test a GPU before buying, so you'll never know till its too late how loud or hot the card can get.

We rely on reviews like Linus's, Guru3d etc and forums to get real opinions.

It's the main reason I like Linus's reviews, honesty, though it would be nice if they started hot box testing cards and not only on a open test bench :P

Yes it will limit your overclocking a bit, it's already been proven that the G1 is overclocking much higher than the Strix, if you can stick it under water you won't have a problem.

Generally the recommended temps for VRM's are 80c and under, it's the sweet spot to prolong their life.

But unless you're going to do a stupidly higher overclock with over voltage (which you can't do atm anyway) the card will shut itself down before you cause any real damage.

Sad thing is you can't store test a GPU before buying, so you'll never know till its too late how loud or hot the card can get.

We rely on reviews like Linus's, Guru3d etc and forums to get real opinions.

Main reason I like Linus's reviews, would be nice if they started hot box testing cards and not only on a open test bench :P

Hmm I am stuck again :/ leaning towards the G1 because if I am buying such a high end card it better be good.

How quiet is the G1?

That is my only worry with it

Hmm I am stuck again :/ leaning towards the G1 because if I am buying such a high end card it better be good.

How quiet is the G1?

That is my only worry with it

When the babies go to bed tonight I'll try my best to record the fan at idle, load and 100%, it's the only time the house will be silent..lol.

I'll take the side of the case off, and put the reorder about 2 foot away (which is about how far a average desk is).

Will turn the Air Con off (it's still 26c here and humid as anything..lol)

Don't have a Strix, but if someone else out there who does can do the same, it would be most helpful to the rest..

When the babies go to bed tonight I'll try my best to record the fan at idle, load and 100%, it's the only time the house will be silent..lol.

I'll take the side of the case off, and put the reorder about 2 foot away (which is about how far a average desk is).

Don't have a Strix, but if someone else out there who does can do the same, it would be most helpful to the rest..

That would be great!, Thanks!

Il probably get the G1 because of it's better performance and better temps :D

Was just browsing your profile, I am sorry to hear about your wife, My best wishes go out to you and her.

Was just browsing your profile, I am sorry to hear about your wife, My best wishes go out to you and her.

She's getting there.

I don't know if you've ever heard of Charlotte Dawson, she took her own life the same day as my wife was having surgery, they we very close friends, so she had a double whammy in hospital.

But we were at the hospital today for a check up, they screwed her over again so it's back to the media (she was on Channel 9 and ABC news).

Because I can't work, I try to help others with what I know, also try to keep fresh with new tech, which means selling the old to get the new.

Takes me a while to settle into a forum, don't like stepping on toes..lol..

Once these 2 Jedi's go to bed (the 15mo is hitting the 2yo with a light saber..lol), I'll do my best to record the G1 for you, I hate any excessive fan noise as well. ;)

I heard about Charlotte Dawson

Thanks for using your free time to record the G1 for me, I really appreciate it :)