Downdetector Down? :D

thebennyboy

Is it only me having issues accessing downdetector.co.uk/.com? Quite ironic tbh :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Is it only me having issues accessing downdetector.co.uk/.com? Quite ironic TBH :D

I think it's living up to it's name. :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Yes, right here: http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

I wonder if there is a downdetector for downdetector?

What is this "downdetector" and what is the point of it?

Cant you tell if a site is down just by going to it?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It is a site that monitors hundreds of services, people go on there and report that they are having issues.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

You usually type in a site's URL and it'll tell you if it's down or not. ;)

EDIT: Maybe I'm thinking of something's else, like the link I posted. :blush:

It's more likely just my ISP being shitty. Switching to another this weekend.

It is a site that monitors hundreds of services, people go on there and report that they are having issues.

You usually type in a site's URL and it'll tell you if it's down or not. ;)

EDIT: Maybe I'm thinking of something's else, like the link I posted. :blush:

But what is the point if you could just type the site url into your search bar and see if the site is down...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

But what is the point if you could just type the site url into your search bar and see if the site is down...

Perhaps because the issue may not be on your side. Being able to check also helps. You should check it, they also monitor ISPs and Mobile providers.

Well, sometimes it can just be your problem and not a problem anywhere else, and these types of sites tell you this.

It's working for me now. :)

Well, sometimes it can just be your problem and not a problem anywhere else, and these types of sites tell you this.

Perhaps because the issue may not be on your side. Being able to check also helps. You should check it, they also monitor ISPs and Mobile providers.

How does knowing that the issues is on your side help you with anything?

I mean if you cant access a website then try accessing the website from another country's server, or try clearing your cache, and if that doesnt work then there isnt much else you can do and it probably isnt on your side...

Spoiler

It's working for me now. :)

It's probably just my shitty ISP.

How does knowing that the issues is on your side help you with anything?

I mean if you cant access a website then try accessing the website from another country's server, or try clearing your cache, and if that doesnt work then there isnt much else you can do and it probably isnt on your side...

The average joe isn't likely to know how to do that. Downdetector also allow you to report issues with Cellular, which can be useful. It's a good port of call before you start screwing around with your own stuff only to realise that it's not your issue.

It's probably just my crappy ISP.

Well, it sucks for you then. :(

The average joe isn't likely to know how to do that.

I guess so. I can easily figure out where the problem is with a tracert but i guess most people dont know how to do that...

Spoiler

Its working for me however just went onto another website and tried it and this came up ... O_o

i6wm0m.png

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Because sometimes, you can't access a website even though it's not down.

This allow you to actually troubleshoot where the issue might be from, be it from your ISP or your computer. Being able to rule out "the website isn't working so obviously it's the website's fault" is good.

This might not have happened to you, but it sure did for me in the past. Where I couldn't access a certain website yet my friend was browsing it just fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Because sometimes, you can't access a website even though it's not down.

This allow you to actually troubleshoot where the issue might be from, be it from your ISP or your computer. Being able to rule out "the website isn't working so obviously it's the website's fault" is good.

This might not have happened to you, but it sure did for me in the past. Where I couldn't access a certain website yet my friend was browsing it just fine.

Or you could just type

tracert <website address>

in CMD and find where the problem is...

Spoiler

Or you could just type

tracert <website address>

in CMD and find where the problem is...

Yes, I'll be sure to tell my mother next time she can't access her facebook to open a command prompt and input tracert websitehere in it, yup...

That kind of website is a quick and dirty way to find something, not everyone enjoy going through command lines and prefer just being told "yes it's up" or "nope it's down". I'm one of those people, if there's a website to make my life easier, why in the world wouldn't I use it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Its working for me. 

How do we check if a service is down if the down detector is down?? lol