Please help choose a monitor!

Iceberg233

Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting a new monitor, so my choice is stock between two of the Asus monitors that give me a hard time to decide on. I'm talking about: VG278H and VG248QE. I know that the first one comes with 3D kit, 120 Hz refresh rate with 2ms response time, 50,000,000:1 c/r, and its 27", BUT in the same time the other one is 144 Hz 1ms, 80,000,000:1, 24" and costs $300 cheaper, so I'm confused. Giving the fact that I can buy a 3D kit for $130 I will save quite some money... 27" or 24" is not a concern! So my question is: which one provides better quality for both 3D and 2D gaming? Thank you for your time!

The 27 inch version is more expensive because it has the 3D setup integrated within the monitor itself so there is no need for additional cables to be run along your desk, it also has a larger format screen. But it is a larger 1080p screen making the pixel density much lower, and in 2D and maybe 3D mode, making the gaps between pixels much more prominent.

If you dont mind the extra cables the 24" is much better because it is cheaper and it has the better stand as well. With it being a 24" the pixel density is higher so you dont need AA or AF to make the image seem smoother. It has many of the same features as the 27" other then the integrated 3D sensor piece.

I would say get the 24" with the sensor kit. Cheaper and just as effective with a few pluses.

--As a side note take into the consideration the fact that gaming in 3D is not always the best experience (for some people) and the TN panel used in almost all 3D monitors has bad viewing angles as well as much worse color reproduction. post in this thread if you want recommendations on IPS 60hz monitors in the future.

--As a side note take into the consideration the fact that gaming in 3D is not always the best experience (for some people) and the TN panel used in almost all 3D monitors has bad viewing angles as well as much worse color reproduction. post in this thread if you want recommendations on IPS 60hz monitors in the future.

OK, I'm posting for recommendation then :D

This is my first post, (just registered) but I'm following Linus on youtube for over a year, and said that you guys on the forum are really helpful, so I'm looking for an advice on gaming monitor :)

- price point 260 euro max (340 USD, or 350 Canadian )

- Some more available brand (since I'm in Europe, but not in EU, so we don't have all the brands here) like Asus, Dell, Wievsonic, Acer, HP...

- 23-24 inch 1080p , so only 16:9

- IPS

- Gaming oriented, but also good color reproduction, for movies, browsing etc...

Any sugestions :) ?

My 5000€ dream machine
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzFFLD

You cannot get a 16:9 24" monitor.  The monitor I use is an Asus PB238Q.  I have had no problems with it while gaming.

- Some more available brand (since I'm in Europe, but not in EU, so we don't have all the brands here) like Asus, Dell, Wievsonic, Acer, HP...

What monitors do you have available to you. 

Do you recommend the Asus PB238Q then :) ?

Well, pretty much all oh the mainstream ones are available here. It may be difficult to find Eizo, Achieva, Benq and such... but I would appreciate recommendation for them also regardless

Thanks for the help :)

Also, I should have mentioned that 24 inch is more of a reference. Anything from 22 to 25 inch is fine

My 5000€ dream machine

The Asus PB238Q is a 23inch monitor.

24inch.. well true 24inch monitor (size not rounded), are 16:10 aspect ratio, so 1920x1200.

The Asus PB238Q is a 23inch monitor.

24inch.. well true 24inch monitor (size not rounded), are 16:10 aspect ratio, so 1920x1200.

Anything from 22 to 25 inch will bi OK :) as long as it is 16:9 1080p

My 5000€ dream machine

Anything from 22 to 25 inch will bi OK :) as long as it is 16:9 1080p

Why do you want exactly 16:9 type of monitor? How is it going to benefit you over 16:10 one? Just curious, because I currently have a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, so when I found out that all of these latest Asus 24" monitors are 1080p only, I did'n understand why... It looked like a downgrade for me (in terms of pixel density)

Most games are designed for console. So as TV's are 16:9, the game is designed for that. While they are games that adjust the Field of View camera based on your aspect ratio so you don't loose information on 16:10 monitor, many devs don't bother to break their head with the math. So it goes by width. So,

sc2_fov.gif

Does it impact gaming in reality? No. In the case of StarCraft you have Fog of war, so you don't see units that you are not suppose to see.

Games don't put enemies or things that comes on your edge of the screen. However for games like TF2 and such, some people buy 21:9 aspect ratio monitor, or triple monitor for cheating.. or as they call it "competitive edge".

Devs used to do the works for implementing the aspect ratio system properly with the field of view, when games were more PC focused rather then console, and it was at a time, where you had 4:3 and 16:10 monitor being popular. Now, everyone jump on 16:9 because they were cheaper, compared to 16:10, and had the "Full HD" sticker  on it, which is what the consumer was looking for. The increase popularity of 16:9 drops the price due to higher demand, and increased the price of 16:10... and you have what we have now today.

Why do you want exactly 16:9 type of monitor? How is it going to benefit you over 16:10 one? Just curious, because I currently have a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, so when I found out that all of these latest Asus 24" monitors are 1080p only, I did'n understand why... It looked like a downgrade for me (in terms of pixel density)

I too have 16:10 monitor at the moment (19" Samsung touch of color), and the reason is simple - 16:9 simply feels more natural.

Mostly noticeable in FPS. I think it represents natural field of view more naturally. Why? I can tell you what I know from school - evolution made us that way. Since as we evolved we didn't have natural predators from the air, our field of view evolved to be wider.

Also, I need 1080p since I'm a TV guy... everything in my OB truck is 16:9 so I'm used to it :)

And media consumption most important of all... I want to watch TV shows at 1080p pixel for pixel (without scaling or black bars) , witch is what I do on my PC most of the time anyway :D 

My 5000€ dream machine

Made perfect sense! Thanks everybody!