what should I know about... satellite internet...

JAW96

okay, so anyone who saw my little rant should know my internet sucks, and this has pushed me and my brother to look into some desperate measures... satellite internet *throws up in mouth*. I was wondering what are some companies I should look into like what is "bonus data"? what are quirks that I should be aware of?

P.S. if it makes a difference my family has a dish network subscription.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Don't expect to to be able to play multiplayer games on Satellite internet by any means. I remember we ordered Satellite internet once and it was fast and all, but it had a horrendous 15GB cap and outright couldn't play multiplayer games, because of massive latency. I forgot what company it was, I'll edit the post once I remember.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Don't expect to to be able to play multiplayer games on Satellite internet by any means. I remember we ordered Satellite internet once and it was fast and all, but it had a horrendous 15GB cap and outright couldn't play multiplayer games, because of massive latency. I forgot what company it was, I'll edit the post once I remember.

I was kinda expecting that, but as it stands I can't play multiplayer, so ya...

Is there no DSL or cable in your area? I lived around 9 mile and Taft close to Detroit and the Internet was great. .

Satellite, should be the really last option on your list.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I was kinda expecting that, but as it stands I can't play multiplayer, so ya...

Heh, I can't do any real multiplayer gaming as my internet is awful too... They were supposed to fix it TODAY but by the looks of this speedtest, if they did... I guess we're paying for ping of 150+ .66Mb/s down, and .65Mb/s up instead of 3Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up.. GG

3850119581.png

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Latency is going to be your problem. Forget gaming, your ping time will suck a fat one. Watching netflix and the youtubes shouldn't be a problem though. If you can live with that, go for it. I've had to deal with satelite internet, I feel your pain. 

Is there no DSL or cable in your area? I lived around 9 mile and Taft close to Detroit and the Internet was great. .

Satellite, should be the really last option on your list.

oh, wait yeah they do! it is right by the unicorn drinking from a latte machine... If that was a option would you think I would be looking into this...

Heh, I can't do any real multiplayer gaming as my internet is awful too... They were supposed to fix it TODAY but by the looks of this speedtest, if they did... I guess we're paying for ping of 150+ .66Mb/s down, and .65Mb/s up instead of 3Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up.. GG

3850119581.png

see my internet doesn't suck all the time (hitting 2mbs when we pay for 6), but is HIGHLY unstable (I have literally had it 200 BITES per second, I couldn't even login...)