Laptop shocked my wife.. help please!

Hail Hydra

If this is the wrong forum for this im sorry. I didn't know which one to post this one.

She was using the lap top while laying on the couch. The laptop was on top of a pillow. When she picked it up to move it, it gave her a shock.  She lifted it from the bottom side near the fan. The laptop is a toshiba laptop about 2-3 years old.

She said this is the second time this happened in two short days.  One time it was plugged into the wall, the other it was not.  What could be causing this? bad psu? maybe static electricity from being on the pillar. She hand she lifted it with has a 18k wedding ring on it.

Any suggestions? Is it safe to use? Should i get a new one since paying people to look at it is expensive?.( it was a 300$ laptop new),  

Too bad the warranty is (I guess) over. Maybe Toshiba can still do something about it

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Sounds like static? But I would be careful...

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If this is the wrong forum for this im sorry. I didn't know which one to post this one.

She was using the lap top while laying on the couch. The laptop was on top of a pillow. When she picked it up to move it, it gave her a shock.  She lifted it from the bottom side near the fan. The laptop is a toshiba laptop about 2-3 years old.

She said this is the second time this happened in two short days.  One time it was plugged into the wall, the other it was not.  What could be causing this? bad psu? maybe static electricity from being on the pillar. She hand she lifted it with has a 18k wedding ring on it.

Any suggestions? Is it safe to use? Should i get a new one since paying people to look at it is expensive?.( it was a 300$ laptop new),  

Save any information on it periodically, and if it breaks get a new one (or if she wants something better).

It sounds like a static build up. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

No big deal

If she keeps using it on a pillow, she'll eventually burn down the house anyway

I would just get a new one...

Unfortunately I don't really know why this might happen.

The pillow probably caused the static.  I wouldn't set it on stuff like that only on something like a table or desk.

Sorry for the lateish reply, but I wanted to give my two cents. Since this happened while the laptop was unplugged it almost has to be caused from static. The voltage/current within most laptops is not enough to give a shock, so it has to be caused from static(older machines with CCFL backlit screens would have the voltage to shock, but you would only get shocked by purposely putting your finger in the inverter and your laptop is only 2-3 years old, so its not CCFL.). 

Sounds like static buildup indeed. 

Tell her to never ever ever ever ever ever ever put a laptop on a pillow, by the way.  Pillows and blankets are notorious for killing laptops. 

To start with, they'll block off the air intakes at the bottom.  Secondly, they'll accelerate dust buildup in the cooling system.  Both of these will make it run hot.

Sounds like static, definitely tell her to stop using the laptop on a pillow. It may be what is causing the static and it's dangerous as it can block the cooler.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED