Laptop graphics card

Go to solution Solved by maxamus456,

don't they have external graphic cards?

Yes they do! 

http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

Or maybe something home made like,

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616

Hope this helped!

maxamus456

Hi iv'e been google ing if I can put a new graphics card in my laptop, my laptop is Sony Vaio iv'e upgraded the ram to 8 gb and I feel like my computer is really loud and i blame the graphics card because its not that special so i was wondering if i could put a new graphics card like nvidia or something like that, im really confused google says no, my dad says no, my friend says yes and he asked some one that is working around this kind of stuff.
Thanks in advance.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Hi iv'e been google ing if I can put a new graphics card in my laptop, my laptop is Sony Vaio iv'e upgraded the ram to 8 gb and I feel like my computer is really loud and i blame the graphics card because its not that special so i was wondering if i could put a new graphics card like nvidia or something like that, im really confused google says no, my dad says no, my friend says yes and he asked some one that is working around this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Doubts, 99% of laptop gpus are soldered.

but you can give the model number, would be easier to check for sure.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Only certain VAIOs do, most of them are built in just like any other laptop.

"Rawr XD"

Only certain VAIOs do, most of them are built in just like any other laptop.

well, wasn't thinking brand specific or pre-configured. I meant just in general like this: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616#null

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The answer is most likely no, though it may be possible with certain models.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

well, wasn't thinking brand specific or pre-configured. I meant just in general like this: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616#null

lol ExpressCard to PCIe over an HDMI cable

Generally though those things aren't really worth the cost and compatibility isn't guaranteed for every laptop.

"Rawr XD"

You probably can't - they're either soddered in, or they're very, very expensive. Not to mention that the socket is specific to the GPU model so you'd be severely limited in your GPU choice. You'd be better off getting a new laptop, honestly.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Just checked your model @AddiDb, doesnt look like you can swap it out :\ 

I suppose if you really were insistent, you could unsolder the chip from the mobo and solder a new one on, but thats just about impossible..

So long story short your stuck pal, maybe look at an external graphics card through an esata port?

Or just build a gaming rig!  :P

Yeah that VAIO doesn't have a mxm slot. External GPUs are limited by bandwidth, so good luck getting one of them to work, but it really might be better to buy a new machine. If you want one with fairly ok gaming peformance, a 850M or 860M (maxwell) GPU would do ya just fine and you could probably find one for like $800 or so (for the 850M, or 860M if on a sale), and it'll act like a 750Ti GPU in a desktop would

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday