Which graphics car should I get? R9 290x, GTX 970, Gtx 780 or GTX 780 ti?

Skreedles

The R9 290x, GTX 970, Gtx 780 or GTX 780 ti?

The 780 ti might be a little above my price bracket.

It's getting hard to get ahold of a gtx 970.

depends on what you have now, and what your needs are. if you are gaming on a single 1080p or 1440p display, one 970 or 290 will be more than enough.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

A 970 or two now and then wait for Pascal.

Linus is my fetish.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

The R9 290x, GTX 970, Gtx 780 or GTX 780 ti?

The 780 ti might be a little above my price bracket.

It's getting hard to get ahold of a gtx 970.

Gigabyte 970 , i just OC'ed mine , its a beast :D

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

I would say r9 290, since I still prefer it over my 970's. But they do use a lot more power than a 970.

GTX 970, anyone should do.

I would say r9 290, since I still prefer it over my 970's. But they do use a lot more power than a 970.

I'd wait until you can get a Gigabyte 970 they seem to be the best.

I can only get ahold of the MSI 970 classic, My other options are the Gigabyte 780 and R9 290x I'm wondering if the MSI classic will be loud.

EVGA GTX 970

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

I think its worth the wait for a 970.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

EVGA GTX 970

I think its worth the wait for a 970.

The only 970 I can get ahold of is the MSI 970 classic.

The only 970 I can get ahold of is the MSI 970 classic.

It's a fine card. If you aren't in a rush, wait until you can get the one you really want.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Gigabyte 970s sell out so fast. There were only 13 windforce OCs left in stock when I got mine, and they are all gone by the following day.

G1s sell out even faster. 

Now I need to save for a whole new PC in 2016 with Pascal and Skylake.

Linus is my fetish.

It's a fine card. If you aren't in a rush, wait until you can get the one you really want.

I talked to where I'm buyign from (I have a credit with them) and they said they are crazy back ordered so I would have to wait a while(month or two) do you think it would be better than a gigabyte 780 or r9 290x or if it is loud?

I talked to where I'm buyign from (I have a credit with them) and they said they are crazy back ordered so I would have to wait a while(month or two) do you think it would be better than a gigabyte 780 or r9 290x or if it is loud?

How badly in need of a GPU are you?

The r9 290x from gigabyte isn't loud, neither is it the quietest 290x. If the place where you are getting this card can get their hands on a powercolor pcs+ 290/x, then I highly suggest you get it if you have the room in your case. 

How badly in need of a GPU are you?

I don't want to wait two months for a better 970.

I don't want to wait two months for a better 970.

Thats not what I'm asking.

Are you building a brand new system and just need a GPU to finish it out?

Or do you already have a system built and just looking to upgrade your GPU?

If you are building brand new and just need a GPU to finish it out, get the MSI 970.

If you already have a system with a GPU, wait until you can get the one you want.

If your situation is a different scenario entirely, please share.

Thats not what I'm asking.

Are you building a brand new system and just need a GPU to finish it out?

Or do you already have a system built and just looking to upgrade your GPU?

If you are building brand new and just need a GPU to finish it out, get the MSI 970.

If you already have a system with a GPU, wait until you can get the one you want.

If your situation is a different scenario entirely, please share.

I'm finishing off a new CPU, the vents for the hot air to go out seem small on the back.

I'm finishing off a new CPU, the vents for the hot air to go out seem small on the back.

You mean a new system? A CPU is a processor.

Vents out the back of the MSI 970? Could you link the product to me please?

Well, its Maxwell architecture.  It doesn't put off a tremendous amount of heat.  You might hit the high 60s, low 70s absolute highest temps.  I wouldn't worry about it.  This is a solid card, it has the specs, and it has the features of a 900 series GPU.  If you don't want to wait, that is a very good card.

If heat eventually becomes a concern for you, which it wont.  This is a reference PCB, so you could always do the G10 modification for ~$100 to drop temps by another 20C, as well as make your system more quiet.

I would get that card.

I find it surprising how small the exhaust vent is.

Its a low TDP card.  Like 165 or something like that.  It doesn't put out nearly as much heat as cards have in the past.