PCIe Lanes Confusion

Linus' recent video linked below has left me a little confused so I hope someone can help me out

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/228327-pcie-lanes-pcie-8x-vs-16x-in-sli/

I got an Intel i7 3770k running on an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 board and currently I have a graphics card (Asus GTX 760) and a Wi-Fi card on my board. My CPU has 16 PCIe lanes so I'm assuming that my GPU is running 8x and the Wi-Fi card 1x (please correct me if I'm wrong) I want to run two graphics cards in the future and though it will not initially be an SLI setup I do want to be running both cards in 8x

To do this will I have to remove the Wi-Fi card? (use a USB Wi-Fi thing instead perhaps)

Will the two graphics cards automatically be running 8x 8x?

Also if I remove the Wi-Fi card before adding a second graphics card will the single card automatically run at 16x?

I have tried reasearching this myself but the information is rather unclear so if anyone can inform me it would be much appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who replies

-words-

I have a WiFi card installed in a 1x slot and both my GPUs installed in 16x slots (running 8x/8x) and haven't noticed any drops. Although my motherboard does feature a PLX 8747 chip which gives an extra 32 PCI-E lanes i believe. 

You might have to remove your WiFi card. Since Nvidia cards require that you run at a minimum of 8x/8x to use SLi.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I have a WiFi card installed in a 1x slot and both my GPUs installed in 16x slots (running 8x/8x) and haven't noticed any drops. Although my motherboard does feature a PLX 8747 chip which gives an extra 32 PCI-E lanes i believe. 

You might have to remove your WiFi card. Since Nvidia cards require that you run at a minimum of 8x/8x to use SLi.

I thought this would be the case, I wasnt shure though. Will my graphics card(s) automatically run at the highest number of PCIe lanes possible? (16x / 8x 8x)

I thought this would be the case, I wasnt shure though. Will my graphics card(s) automatically run at the highest number of PCIe lanes possible? (16x / 8x 8x)

i think they will i used a wifi card in PCIe with 2 770s on a 16lane cpu, motehrboard was a z77 sabertooth

its was the pc with the most 7s ever

Yes. If you had two cards with 32 lanes available, They'd run at 16x/16x. If you have 16 lanes, they'd run at 8x/8x. 

Three and four card configs work differently depending on manufacturer. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i think they will i used a wifi card in PCIe with 2 770s on a 16lane cpu, motehrboard was a z77 sabertooth

Thanks for info :) looks like Wi-Fi cards don't affect PCIe lanes perhaps

Yes. If you had two cards with 32 lanes available, They'd run at 16x/16x. If you have 16 lanes, they'd run at 8x/8x.

Three and four card configs work differently depending on manufacturer.

Okay thanks for the info :)

Your board is probably a 8x/4x/4x config instead of a 8x/8x/4x config. With the first config you can't have 2Way SLI and a wi-fi pcie card installed because the 2nd gpu slot shares bandwidth with the 3rd pci-e slot. However if you decide to get rid of your wi-fi card, it will be 8x/8x and SLI will work fine.

Your board is probably a 8x/4x/4x config instead of a 8x/8x/4x config. With the first config you can't have 2Way SLI and a wi-fi pcie card installed because the 2nd gpu slot shares bandwidth with the 3rd pci-e slot. However if you decide to get rid of your wi-fi card, it will be 8x/8x and SLI will work fine.

Thankyou, looks like I will have to buy a USB Wi-Fi thing before I add a new graphics card :)

There are also x8 of PCI-E 2.0 coming off of the chips, which is likely what your WiFi card is using. It's also what board manufacturers try to use first rather than gpu lanes. On Z97 and X99 it's gotten hard though because of SATAe and M.2.

There are also x8 of PCI-E 2.0 coming off of the chips, which is likely what your WiFi card is using. It's also what board manufacturers try to use first rather than gpu lanes. On Z97 and X99 it's gotten hard though because of SATAe and M.2.

You haven't bothered to read my comment, right? Cheap boards tend to not take advantage of the chipset. Hence why you see a z68-v pro gen3 having a config of 8x/8x/4x and a cheap MSI z77 board of 8x/4x/4x because it only takes lanes from the CPU.

Adding to @Faa 's comment, according to AsRock, your motherboard has two separate PCI-E 2.0 x1 slots provided.

These PCI-E 2.0 slots are from the chip set.

In other words, no need to worry if you plan to SLi.

- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE3) or dual at x8/x8 mode)

- 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots

- 2 x PCI slots

- Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™

- Supports NVIDIA® Quad SLI™ and SLI™

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

You haven't bothered to read my comment, right? Cheap boards tend to not take advantage of the chipset. Hence why you see a z68-v pro gen3 having a config of 8x/8x/4x and a cheap MSI z77 board of 8x/4x/4x because it only takes lanes from the CPU.

Actually x8/x8/x4 is 16 lanes from the CPU and 4 from the chipset. The other 4 were likely chewed up by stuff they MB manufacturer put on like usb 3.0 controllers.