BIG all wood case (?)

pelto93

Can you more experienced folks think of a reason I might regret a LARGE (28"X20"X11") all wood case that I am thinking about making? It would like a TJ07 the size of a 900D. It would support two triple rads with plenty of ventilation. Do you foresee any problems with this idea?

nope just make sure to sand it with a fine grain and wax it

and use motherboard stand-offs from another case

Can you more experienced folks think of a reason I might regret a LARGE (28"X20"X11") all wood case that I am thinking about making? It would like a TJ07 the size of a 900D. It would support two triple rads with plenty of ventilation. Do you foresee any problems with this idea?

If its done well, I think it will be really cool actually.

It must have good ventilation though as wood holds heat better than your traditional case. But other than that I don't see why not.

If you do make a wooden case please do a build guide of it.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Fire hazard, splinters, its been done before the list goes on and on

nope just make sure to sand it with a fine grain and wax it

yea use a heavier wood no easiy alight woods and ebony case would be awesome if you where a billionare

post-66400-0-00097200-1413063421.gif
Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Uhhhhhh...

That could catch fire if not suitably built

Really, you actually think it could catch on fire by itself? This only chance of this happening would be a faulty PSU, putting it near a fire hazard already, or putting a stake through the PSU while you summon Satan Claus.

Go for it. Though not too much of a fan of the wooden grain or veneer for PC Cases, but Plastidip is always an option.

yea sure why not, i made a few before, still using one today.

benefits are you can make how you want it, you can mount you mobo upside down, you can do w/e you want.

downside is if you want to upgrade you need to change a panel or modify it.

the change it catches fire is small but it can happen, and when it does your done.

i would say go for it! :) 

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

As long as you don't go LANing a lot it'll be all good ;)

As for the fire hazard thing its as much of a fire hazard as your house, desk, drawers and everything else made of wood :P To date I've probably had more builds on a wood plank or shoe rack then in a metal case lol

1vhDQwGl.jpg

Uhhhhhh...

That could catch fire if not suitably built

what the hell you two on about? unless you have crap components, nothing should go above 90C for the chip. wood itself has selfignition temp of 200-500C depending on the sort. there is physically no way of it catching fire, apart from it being meant to catch fire

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

all the posts above are from people with no experience of this.

i got my own wooden pc case i did lan with it and temps of components stressed or gaming and get around 60 to 70° celcius.

1. fire hazard, the biggest crap they all tell you sure wood catch fire and burns easy if you get the wood heated up above 100°c and i think your pc will be already shutting down if it will be getting that high.

2. don't matter what wood you take just be sure to take around 8mm if you don't use wheels to move it otherwise it will get heavy trust me my first mistake was 12mm mdf.

3. you get way more space in the case than any other case you would buy, you have your own positions for the components special made etc.

4. draw on paper what your case should look like in different ways + mods, draw them also in a 3d program like sketchup free and easy.

5. take very good measurements because once its cut it nasty to reattach take your time average building time of a case will take u for more than 24 hours of pure work.

6. if your case is 60cm in height, 50cm depth and 20 cm width you can fit an standard atx mobo 1 to 7 HDD (not ssd is more) 2 double 120 or 140mm rads and 2 triple rads and still have enough room for push pull config with 2 tanks and 2 pumps.

7. if you want a plexi window get a sturdy one around 5 mm or more is great to handle be careful not to scratch it.

if you need more tips i will answer your questions.

Thank you, everybody, for your advice and the warm welcome to the forum!

To those folks who have been using a closed wood case, have y'all noticed any differences in noise levels between a wood case and a metal/plastic case? Should I take measures when mounting fans or hard drives for example?

Thank you, everybody, for your advice and the warm welcome to the forum!

To those folks who have been using a closed wood case, have y'all noticed any differences in noise levels between a wood case and a metal/plastic case? Should I take measures when mounting fans or hard drives for example?

it should be quieter

take measures all the time. dont just drill where you think you should ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

like others have said, this bothered me. no, its not going to catch fire. unless your components can maintain 200*C plus, it wont burst into flames. 

I dont think it would even be possible if you tried.

time to watercool a old pc with lighter fluid to prove a point