How many of you have had your HD580/600/650's headband crack?

jobe

I'm planning on getting some new headphones soon. Around $400, with some wiggle room. I like Sennheiser stuff, and have been taking a hard look at the HD600/650, but I'm worried about the numerous reports of the headband cracking in half with normal use.

I had HD555's, which are notorious for it's own cracking problem, and after a few years, I had to replace them.

Should I just risk having to cough up $100 for a new headband once in a while? Anyone know if Sennheiser has changed the design on newer production units?

yea

I've got a pretty big head and my 558's so far are fine, that being said I've only had them about 5-6 months.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I've read they changed the material for the HD558/598 so that it's more durable.

yea

I think far more people break their gear on LTT than on any other forum... I think it's due to the people here, not the gear. Just treat your gear nicely.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I call BS to the claim of 600/650 headbands cracking in half "with normal use"

I've got a 650 and there's no way a piece of plastic like this can cleanly crack in half under "normal" situations.

I'm planning on getting some new headphones soon. Around $400, with some wiggle room. I like Sennheiser stuff, and have been taking a hard look at the HD600/650, but I'm worried about the numerous reports of the headband cracking in half with normal use.

I had HD555's, which are notorious for it's own cracking problem, and after a few years, I had to replace them.

Should I just risk having to cough up $100 for a new headband once in a while? Anyone know if Sennheiser has changed the design on newer production units?

Actually, if you're ready to cough up $100 once in a while (for easier measurement, let's just say $100/year), then just get the higher end, the HD700. I think the headband on that is built tougher than the HD6xx lineup. It's about $700 on amazon, so in 3 years time, you'd have spent the same with HD6xx as the HD700, and you got a better headphone.

Alternatively, just get a headphone from other brands with metal headbands.

I've had the HD650 for about 4 years, and there's no signs of cracking on the headband.

Alright, cool, they're back at the top of my list then.

I try and take care of my stuff, so I shouldn't have a problem.

yea

in 3 years time, you'd have spent the same with HD6xx as the HD700, and you got a better headphone.

"Better"

dr%20evil%20laser.jpg

As much as I'd love to jump for HD700's or 800's, I have to account for the expense of a DAC and Amp as well. 

yea

Not really. The DAC expense remains the exact same, the amp is the same (O2). Although you kindda can go by HD600/650 without an external amp. Dac and amp expenses are trivial at this point to the cost of HD800s. (Unless you wanna get all audiofeelz placebophilez on me here.) Even if you decide to get Odac/O2 combo, $150 upgrade from O2 for a $1k headphone? That's immaterial.

Also, it's kindda dumb to upgrade by numbers alone. HD650 for example have very different sound signatures to 700/800, it's perfectly plausible to prefer 650 over 800. And I know more than one person who would rather use the HD650s than the 800s or god forbid, the 700s.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Not really. The DAC expense remains the exact same, the amp is the same (O2). Although you kindda can go by HD600/650 without an external amp. Dac and amp expenses are trivial at this point to the cost of HD800s. (Unless you wanna get all audiofeelz placebophilez on me here.) Even if you decide to get Odac/O2 combo, $150 upgrade from O2 for a $1k headphone? That's immaterial.

Also, it's kindda dumb to upgrade by numbers alone. HD650 for example have very different sound signatures to 700/800, it's perfectly plausible to prefer 650 over 800. And I know more than one person who would rather use the HD650s than the 800s or god forbid, the 700s.

I've heard the HD600 before, and liked it. If I was going to buy a different model, like 700's, I'd audition them before buying them at a one of the Hi-Fi stores near me.

I'm looking at getting the Magni/Modi. I've read that they work very well with the HD600's. For around $600 bucks total, it should be a pretty kickass setup.

yea

I've heard the HD600 before, and liked it. If I was going to buy a different model, like 700's, I'd audition them before buying them at a one of the Hi-Fi stores near me.

I'm looking at getting the Magni/Modi. I've read that they work very well with the HD600's. For around $600 bucks total, it should be a pretty kickass setup.

I got confused, thought this was another thread which had a guy that wanted HD650s. Anyways, that combo sound fine if you want a peace of mind, although if you're strapped for cash just the Magni and the HD600 is fine.

I also have the HD 650 since about 4 years, use it almost every day, i am not very careful with it and no problems with cracks or other kind of damage.

For around $600 bucks total, it should be a pretty kickass setup.

Totes!

Personally, shit leaves a bad taste in my mouth ( biggrin2.gif ), and I think it's totally overkill, but they do look pretty and are built nicely at the very least.