best 970 cooler

themaniac

what cooler for the 970 cools the best i don't want you to recommend the one with the best performance just the one with the best cooling

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Gigabyte Windforce 3 or EVGA ACX 2.0

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

ok thanks

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Maxwell kicks out so little heat, they all seem like massive overkill to me. Have fun testing this hypothesis with overclocking, though, whichever you decide on. :)

what cooler for the 970 cools the best i don't want you to recommend the one with the best performance just the one with the best cooling

Hands down Gigabyte. Windforce X3 or G1

"Rawr XD"

Not ACX 2.0. They're just reused 980 coolers that don't even fit over the GPU properly.

"Rawr XD"

ok and could you link me a comparison of all of the coolers for the 970 i looked and i couldn't find any comparisons of all of them

Spoiler

The Twin Frozr is very good. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I believe both Windforce 3X(called Overclocked version) and G1 (Gaming) video cards use the same cooler, the "WINDFORCE 3X cooling system".

The 970 Overclocked is a less factory overclocked and "backplate-less" version of the 970 if compared to the more expensive and more factory overclocked G1 Gaming, both from Gigabyte (Both at amazon, the G1 is out of stock though)!

Now, if you want to compare the 970's from Gigabyte, the main difference is the backplate. If it actually helps dissipate heat and you don't mind the extra $20, then go for it but I guess both have similar overclocking capabilities (apart from the silicon lottery).

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I would get either the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G or the MSI GTX 970 TF http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NN0GEXQ and my preference being the STRIX. The G1 Gaming doesn't cool any better and is louder than the ASUS or MSI options.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

I would get either the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G or the MSI GTX 970 TF http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NN0GEXQ and my preference being the STRIX. The G1 Gaming doesn't cool any better and is louder than the ASUS or MSI options.

G1 cools better then Strix. Why would you say Strix has an advantage over the MSI TF? (and don't say 0db fan because it's pointless)

"Rawr XD"

G1 cools better then Strix. Why would you say Strix has an advantage over the MSI TF? (and don't say 0db fan because it's pointless)

ASUS customer support > MSI is the primary reason.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

Because some people don't like having a computer that sounds like a refrigerator so having a silent GPU is not pointless at all. I rather silence over a lousy few extra fps.

Gamed for about 3 or 4 hours last night, my Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 peaked at 61 degrees with under 50% fan speed. I also know the MSI card stays below 65ish.

Because some people don't like having a computer that sounds like a refrigerator so having a silent GPU is not pointless at all. I rather silence over a lousy few extra fps.

My already-quiet case fans are louder than my Gigabyte 970. I can't hear it unless I manually ramp up the fan speeds to around 60%, and then it's hardly anything more than a subtle "woosh"

You won't even hear a reference card at idle. It will be drowned out by your case, CPU, and other fans anyways

"Rawr XD"

You won't even hear a reference card at idle. It will be drowned out by your case, CPU, and other fans anyways

Well being that there is not even any reference cooled 970s on the market I believe you are correct in that nobody will ever hear it LOL.

Well being that there is not even any reference cooled 970s on the market I believe you are correct in that nobody will ever hear it LOL.

I said reference card, not reference 970. Unless you have no case fans you likely won't even hear a reference 290X at idle/low load. 

"Rawr XD"

Ahem...

I would recommend the MSI Twin Forzr. My 780ti's are Twin Frozr's and they are DEAD silent. They also perform insanely well. I would highly recommend them off my personal opinion on them. 

Also, Bit-tech rated the MSI as better than the EVGA and Asus. I've read in other places too that the MSI>Asus. I can try to find those as well.

Here are some overviews of all the cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gtx-980-970-roundup,27716.html#xtor=RSS-181

edit: they missed some of the smaller known options. Those can be seen here (it's wccftech, but it should suffice): http://wccftech.com/article/complete-maxwell-roundup-geforce-gtx-980-gtx-970-aib-variants-compared/

I'd say your best options are the MSI, Zotac, and Gigabyte

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May