GTX 970 STRIX coil whine.

Popple2000

Hey guys, i've had my 970 for a week or so now and have come to notice a mild coil whine on loading screens in games but not under full load or while playing anything.

Is this something that should be returned or is it ok and I should just deal with it? ( there are no 970's anywhere near me atm - all on back order )

Cheers.

Hey guys, i've had my 970 for a week or so now and have come to notice a mild coil whine on loading screens in games but not under full load or while playing anything.

Is this something that should be returned or is it ok and I should just deal with it? ( there are no 970's anywhere near me atm - all on back order )

Cheers.

asus hasz a no coil whine garuntee so if it bothers you rma it

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

put fraps and see how many fps u get on the loading screens, im guessing you get more than 1000fps which is normal for it to whine a bit

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Don't ASUS market that card for it's no buzzing sounds etc? I'd RMA it saying it wasn't as advertised.

Should accept it.

yes they have a 0 coil whine garuntee

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

Cheers.

Unless its nails on a chalkboard screeching type sound ur fine. Any other kind of noise is known as power noise which every gpu has.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

put fraps and see how many fps u get on the loading screens, im guessing you get more than 1000fps which is normal for it to whine a bit

Interesting, ty - I'll check.

Unless its nails on a chalkboard screeching type sound ur fine. Any other kind of noise is known as power noise which every gpu has.

Take WoW for example: when I cycle through my toons on the character selection screen I can hear the coil whine changing frequencies depending on the background image being shown but then it stops once I load into the game.  It's not super loud - but I find that now that I know its there I am always listening for it.

Cheers.

Interesting, ty - I'll check.

Let me know if thats the case ( its been the case so far for every gpu that ive tried it on )

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Loading screens only? A GPU always coil whines at ridiculous frame rates like 500fps etc, it's perfectly normal and you shouldn't be gaming at 500 fps. As long as it doesn't whine at full load and normal frame rates like 90 it's fine. It doesn't do any harm btw.

Let me know if thats the case ( its been the case so far for every gpu that ive tried it on )

I will when i get home - currently at work.  Thanks !

Loading screens only? A GPU always coil whines at ridiculous frame rates like 500fps etc, it's perfectly normal and you shouldn't be gaming at 500 fps. As long as it doesn't whine at full load and normal frame rates like 90 it's fine. It doesn't do any harm btw.

Good to know it doesn't actually hurt anything, thanks !

Hey I/O, we got another one over here.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hi there, sorry... did I miss something ?

Hi there, sorry... did I miss something ?

No, just some jackass who was running his mouth saying that the Strix cards are the best and they don't suffer from coil whine.  You're like the 3rd or 4th person on this forum alone who has noticed coil whine.  It is completely normal though, happens when your card is doing frames of 500+.  Happens to my 780 when I am in loading or exit screens of Unigine Heaven.  Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

No, just some jackass who was running his mouth saying that the Strix cards are the best and they don't suffer from coil whine.  You're like the 3rd or 4th person on this forum alone who has noticed coil whine.  It is completely normal though, happens when your card is doing frames of 500+.  Happens to my 780 when I am in loading or exit screens of Unigine Heaven.  Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

Thing is; the noise frequency variates heavily between each GPU (PSU same story) and everyone's hearing isn't equally good. If the frequency is 24KHz and you can only hear up to 22KHz you won't hear it, but if a 5 years old kid comes across he'd be asking "what's that noise" because he can hear up to 30KHz who knows. Glueing the coils is not done by hand afaik, design matters a lot too, but manufacturers can never guarantee 100% coil whine free, it isn't the first time that Asus did marketing like this.

overview-1024x709.jpg

Basically the noise is always there but it should be not within your audible range. Higher power consumption cards are harder to get quiet though, it's rare to see gtx 750's coil whining where as every TitanZ/295x2 has coil whine guaranteed. 

He's a salesguy, definitely. Claims cards like the 290 vapor-x/tri-x are quiet cards when theyve been measured to be 50-60dBa at full load from 4", like 20 dBa louder than a 970 Strix for example.

----------------------------------------------------derp

20khz is the max human hearing range

20khz is the max human hearing range

He's just using it as an example.  Not a true numerical value of what a human can hear.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the WAY late reply.

750 - 1100 fps on the screens that make her squeal.

Cheers.

If it annoys you, just limit your fps to 200 with NVidia inspector. No harm done.