Semi-passive PC build?

Hello guys,

First my apologies for my grammar. I'm from the Netherlands and I got dyslexia so yeah...

With that said, I want to build a semi-passive pc. I want the fans off when in idle and under load I want 'normal' temperatures. I was thinking of this list:

CPU:              Intel Core i5-4690 Boxed

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI

GPU:              Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5

HDD:              WD Green WD20EZRX

Case:             Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black

RAM:              Kingston HyperX Fury black HX318C10FBK2/8

PSU:              Corsair RM750

SSD:              Crucial MX100 256GB

CPU Cooler:  Gelid Solutions Tranquillo Rev 2

I got a budget of 1100 euro's and want to play games like assasin's creed unity and far cry 4 on ultra.

If i need to give more information please ask.

Already thank you for your help!

~ThekingofFanta

The STRIX and the RM750 have "zero fan" technology. Youre gonna need a really beefy CPU cooler that can cool the CPU in idle without the fan spinning. Then all you need to do is program the fan profiles in your bios or with the fan utility of the mobo and you should be good to go.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Maybe you can get a CPU with a lower TDP.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

snip

~ThekingofFanta

I notice you have a 4690 and a Z97 motherboard... Zboards cost more of OC ability but you need a K processor to OC I reccomend either an H97 motherboard to save money... or getting a 4690K for OCING and if you're not gonna OC you could also get a H97 mobo and a lower i5 like 4570 to save even more money cause there's not much power variance between i5s (of the same generation)

Also you have a stock cooler(assuming cause you don't list an aftermarket one) for a "semi passive" build I suggest an NZXT Kraken AIO like X41 cause you can set custom fan and pump curves and have them not turn on til they hit a specific tempurature of your choice so you can make it semi passive and 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I chose the Z97 motherboard beacuse i can add another 970 to put it on SLI. I forgot to add an aftermarket cooler :D. What cooler do you suggest, im leaning more to a air cooler  but if you can change my mind :D.

I'm not sure about this, but I think you should get 4690k and overclock it and get a liquid cooler, I don't know how much it will help playing games on ultra res but yeah

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

Don't go with a rm series they'll bad. 

if you really want passive get this it will support your system easily.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151122&cm_re=fanless_power_supply-_-17-151-122-_-Product

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Welcome to the forum.

if there is no fans moving air through the case then it will heat up fast especially with a silent case so you could get some noctuas and undervolt them to the high heavens to provide a little airflow

Maybe I will buy Noctua's but they are so expensive :(. I think I will add them later and go for the standard case fans on a low RPM

I think theres a zalman fully passive cpu cooler, may check that out. Also have a loot at TastyPCs one, its quite similar

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Tafel_karel? Nederlands? Why would I lie of having dyslexia...

I think he's saying that your grammar and spelling are exceptional, which is pretty true. Respect.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

I think he's saying that your grammar and spelling are exceptional, which is pretty true. Respect.

Thanks, im working hard for good grammar. I hate it when people make a lot of faults in their grammar.

But back on-topic, is it possible to get good temperatures when it is semi-passive cooled.

Hey,

It is definitely possible to build a semi-passive rig that gets good temps under heavy load.

I'd say your parts list generally looks good for a semi-passive rig, however in terms of the case, while I really love the R4 I don't think it's ventilated enough for decent passive cooling, as with a passive build you really want to be as close to "open-air" as possible.

Also with the CPU Cooler, ideally you want it to have the biggest heatsink possible that you can fit in the case. Check out some of the fully passive coolers like the Nofan CR-95 to get an idea of what a fully passive build would look like. As you don't need the rig to run completely passively under heavy load, you won't need to go quite that big, but basically the bigger the cooler the longer it will stay passive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

It is definitely possible to build a semi-passive rig that gets good temps under heavy load.

I'd say your parts list generally looks good for a semi-passive rig, however in terms of the case, while I really love the R4 I don't think it's ventilated enough for decent passive cooling, as with a passive build you really want to be as close to "open-air" as possible.

Also with the CPU Cooler, ideally you want it to have the biggest heatsink possible that you can fit in the case. Check out some of the fully passive coolers like the Nofan CR-95 to get an idea of what a fully passive build would look like. As you don't need the rig to run completely passively under heavy load, you won't need to go quite that big, but basically the bigger the cooler the longer it will stay passive.

Hi Lauren,

really liked the video.

I'm considering something similar. I have a Fractal R2 (yes it is that old). Whilst nice, the airflow is a bit off.

Are there any cases you think would be particularly suited to a passive build? For example the Coolermaster HAF series. I kind of wish the 780T had a side panel option like the 380Tthen it would be make a great semi-passive case.

I guess my question would be, would you want to shape the airflow in the a semi-passive case. For example something like the Silverstone Raven series, where case stands up of the ground and there is a distinct top to bottom movement. Or maybe the HAF XB, where the motherboard is parallel with the ground and so the hot air rises away from all the components. Never passing across each other or getting stuck below a card or heatsink.