Is it normal for PC games to occisionally drop a single frame here and there?

maxbrokeaway

It might be my overactive OCD doing it's thing.  But I'm noticing something in most of my pc games lately

Before I go further, know that I play with Vsync on.

Continuing with the question:  I am noticing more and more with my video games that although they all will read out a constant FPS of 60, that if i Move in a straight line, and pay close attention, I can see occasional frame drop....where the i get a single individual "stutter" or "skip".  It's hard to notice but it's there.  just a tiny single frame "skip" as I move along.  Is this kind of thing normal?  Or do I have a hardware issue?

Sorry if this is the wrong section.  I just didn't feel like this was exactly troubleshooting until I know it its not normal.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the world of tears.

maxresdefault.jpg

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Stop using vsync? Haha That shit is terrible for input lag .. Thats what you might be experiencing. 

know that I play with Vsync on.

Please stop.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

v-sync-on-stuttering,3-F-413547-22.jpg

That is what is happening with vsync on (best pic I could find after 20s of google)

vsync isnt good for gameplay i agree 

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I have G-Sync so all this does not apply to me. I hope G/Free Sync solutions become available to everyone soon :)

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Ok...so this is most likely a normal issue with vsync.  Understood.  I can't stand to play with Vsync off unfortunately...my system is pounding out so many frame tears that it makes the game look like its going 30fps instead of over 100.  I like the fluidity of Vsync...i guess my next upgrade will be a monitor that supports gsync.  Thanks so much for all your replies.  

Change your nvidia panel to Adaptive with V-sync off

"Who are you the King of Siam, you got to get the best one? Who cares? They’re all the same these machines. They’re all made from the same asian suffering." - Louie Season 3 Episode 10, GO WATCH IT NOW.

Ok...so this is most likely a normal issue with vsync.  Understood.  I can't stand to play with Vsync off unfortunately...my system is pounding out so many frame tears that it makes the game look like its going 30fps instead of over 100.  I like the fluidity of Vsync...i guess my next upgrade will be a monitor that supports gsync.  Thanks so much for all your replies.  

Play in FullScreen. People do not know this but borderless can cause weird stuttering in some games.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I may just not know what I'm looking for, but I don't think I have ever noticed any input lag in any game with Vsync enabled. I get the theory behind it, I understand why there should be lag, I just don't notice any.

On the other hand, I find tearing to be an utter deal-breaker. Drives me absolutely crazy. I've tried Adaptive Vsync and found it to be very hit-and-miss in which games it actually seems to work in. I still notice plenty of tearing with Adaptive Vsync on in many games.

It might be my overactive OCD doing it's thing.  But I'm noticing something in most of my pc games lately

Before I go further, know that I play with Vsync on.

Continuing with the question:  I am noticing more and more with my video games that although they all will read out a constant FPS of 60, that if i Move in a straight line, and pay close attention, I can see occasional frame drop....where the i get a single individual "stutter" or "skip".  It's hard to notice but it's there.  just a tiny single frame "skip" as I move along.  Is this kind of thing normal?  Or do I have a hardware issue?

Sorry if this is the wrong section.  I just didn't feel like this was exactly troubleshooting until I know it its not normal.

Thanks in advance.

that's normal for Vsync, with the way it works. Linus has a video on it I believe