Best Microphone option for games/Skype.

X1XNobleX1X

Hello forums,

I'v come across this issue with my Astro A40, where the microphone can become horribly static and distorted in games, and sometimes Skype.

What is my best option in buying a new mic?

I had a Blue Yeti prior, but sold it, it was just too big and in games in sounded horrible. 

Is the snowball/AT2020 any different? Or should I go for the modmic 4.0?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Modmic 4 if just for games. I guess.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

hmm I'm using the steel series Siberia V2 sound quality's okay and mic I guess it's okay according to my friends in skype.

But I guess it's always better to have separate mic.

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

If you're just going to skype, go with the snowball. It's not as great as the blue yeti of course but it will do the job at a budget. It's an all around good mic although i'd strongly recommend just getting the yeti

If you're just going to skype, go with the snowball. It's not as great as the blue yeti of course, but it will do the job as a budget

Does it distort in games like the Yeti does?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

That wouldn't be the Yeti distorting, that'd be the game having limited mic bandwidth. It'll happen with any mic.

That wouldn't be the Yeti distorting, that'd be the game having limited mic bandwidth. It'll happen with any mic.

Is there any way to stop this?

It it's the game itself, it probably would be better to get a clip on mic right?

I wasn't aware that the yeti distorted in games, but yeh the snowball can do the trick for you.

Is there any way to stop this?

Don't use in-game chat.

It it's the game itself, it probably would be better to get a clip on mic right?

I'm not sure I follow your logic...?

Zalman's clip on is cheap and definitely works as well as most people need.