General Cynogenmod questions. Maybe someone can help.

Cheeky Leo

Hey guys,

I own a HTC One S with Apex Launcher currently on top of it, since the phone is on 4.1.1, but isn´t supported anymore I though, that I could maybe upgrade to CM 11, since the installation process is pretty easy thanks to the CM Installer.

The only thing holding me from doing so is, that I don´t know if and how it´s possible to reverse this prozess and get back the current state of my phone. I´d be nice to have that option. Can I just back my phone up to my pc and ,if I for some reason shouldn´t like CM, get back to my old backup?

Thanks a lot in advance,

CheekyLeo

Before you go down the route of custom ROM installs you should firstly be reflashing to a new recovery (clockwork etc...) that allows you to do full phone backups. This means you are able to then take them off your SD card and store them somewhere incase you want to reflash back. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Probably not. You'd have to back up recovery too, and that's nearly impossible. And don't do it through CM installer, do it the manual way as described at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_ville

If you need any help, just post here or PM me, I've installed CM before.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Before you go down the route of custom ROM installs you should firstly be reflashing to a new recovery (clockwork etc...) that allows you to do full phone backups. This means you are able to then take them off your SD card and store them somewhere incase you want to reflash back. 

Thanks, goot to know that.

Probably not. You'd have to back up recovery too, and that's nearly impossible. And don't do it through CM installer, do it the manual way as described at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_ville

If you need any help, just post here or PM me, I've installed CM before.

Sure I can do it, but what´s wrong with the installer?

Sure I can do it, but what´s wrong with the installer?

HTC phones don't unlock their bootloaders easily, I don't think it even works. Also you'll learn new things along the way.

Update your device's firmware before doing it. And back up your contacts and files.

HTC phones don't unlock their bootloaders easily, I don't think it even works. Also you'll learn new things along the way.

Update your device's firmware before doing it. And back up your contacts and files.

What I already did was connecting my phone to my pc and dragging all the files on my pc and then a thumbdrive. Is this enough or should I take any further steps?

What I already did was connecting my phone to my pc and dragging all the files on my pc and then a thumbdrive. Is this enough or should I take any further steps?

Have you exported your contacts?

Have you exported your contacts?

Nah, but they should be backed up on my google account, shoudn´t they? 

Nah, but they should be backed up on my google account, shoudn´t they? 

They could be, but export them anyway, just in case.

They could be, but export them anyway, just in case.

Yeah you´re right. How should I do that, I don´t want to use the HTC programm for that, I don´t like it at all :D

Yeah you´re right. How should I do that, I don´t want to use the HTC programm for that, I don´t like it at all :D

On stock 4.2, I had to open Contacts, press the menu key, and then Export. Should create a .vcf file on the SD card.

Done

On stock 4.2, I had to open Contacts, press the menu key, and then Export. Should create a .vcf file on the SD card.

Will my phone support Googles Hot Word detection, when getting cm?

Erm op, the HTC ONE s is not support by the installer:http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/CyanogenMod_Installer

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Hey Cheeky Leo, Had the One S a little while back. don't know if you got root, but trust me you don't need CM installer and it will be a lot less trouble to go the manual way.

for root and custom recovery, search for a tool made by hasoon2000. it roots and installs a custom recovery, but you need to be on windows 7, windows 8 and above really screw up the android drivers.

Second, you need to Get S-off. this means your bootloader will be completely unlocked. you can live without S-off, but it sucks. look for rumrunner s-off, it's by far the simplest one. as for rooting, go with windows 7.

Now the fun part begins ! you can choose your rom ! Visit the XDA forum to see what you can install

Personally I don't recommend using CM if you use snapchat and your Camera a lot. Cm11 has some little bugs with the one s Camera.

There's also a Guy Named Flowwolf who makes videos about different roms for the One S. his videos are a little dated, but it can show you what kind of roms you can get.

He's got a terrible Accent, but he took the time to do what no one else did

Finally, my favorite was a Miui rom, no idea why, but the battery life was amazing, if your willing to live with 4.2.

P.S.: your device's codename is VILLE

Hope that helps !

Project Mercury : 4460 | EVGA 960 FTW | 8 gb | 650 Watt PSU | 240GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Custom painted Evolv ITX

OH ! almost forgot, there are near stock 4.1.1 roms available that will do just like what you have right now, with root though, which is a good thing I guess ! :)

Project Mercury : 4460 | EVGA 960 FTW | 8 gb | 650 Watt PSU | 240GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Custom painted Evolv ITX

OH ! almost forgot, there are near stock 4.1.1 roms available that will do just like what you have right now, with root though, which is a good thing I guess ! :)

Thanks for the detailed information, I´l l make sure to check everything, but my device isn´t rooted and I wanted to have CM11 to get mainly Okay Google Hot Word detection, since I use it a lot, is it supported on CM11 M11?

And what do you mean with the camera bugs? I don´t use Snapchat, maybe occasionally, but I´d like to snap a photo or two when I see something nice, and don´t want it to fail there.

Thanks for the detailed information, I´l l make sure to check everything, but my device isn´t rooted and I wanted to have CM11 to get mainly Okay Google Hot Word detection, since I use it a lot, is it supported on CM11 M11?

And what do you mean with the camera bugs? I don´t use Snapchat, maybe occasionally, but I´d like to snap a photo or two when I see something nice, and don´t want it to fail there.

For that use it should be alright, the phone is now my Girlfriend's and she had trouble when switching to front facing Camera, but the rest works well. google hotword detection is supported on 4.2 and above. Also, you should Root, it's really worth it since the One S is becoming an "older" phone. Still a great phone though.

For that use it should be alright, the phone is now my Girlfriend's and she had trouble when switching to front facing Camera, but the rest works well. google hotword detection is supported on 4.2 and above. Also, you should Root, it's really worth it since the One S is becoming an "older" phone. Still a great phone though.

Yeah, the phone itself is great, battery life is amazing, for me since I´m not a heavy user at all, it´s thin, but the display is a bit small for my hands. I don´t use the front facing camera at all.

Is there somewehere a detailed and easy to understand guide how to upgrade my phone? A lot of guides I found were not very beginner/noob friendly and tbh I don´t want to read up on everything.

Yeah, the phone itself is great, battery life is amazing, for me since I´m not a heavy user at all, it´s thin, but the display is a bit small for my hands. I don´t use the front facing camera at all.

Is there somewehere a detailed and easy to understand guide how to upgrade my phone? A lot of guides I found were not very beginner/noob friendly and tbh I don´t want to read up on everything.

just use Hasoon2000's program and Rumrunner S-OFF, it's dead simple. You only need to be running windows 7, That's for root, custom recovery and S-OFF

unfortunately you're gonna have to read up a bit if you don't want to mess up your phone

The one s was the first phone I rooted. it definetly isn't the most simple one since there's a second layer of security on the bootloader on HTC devices, but I got some great results.

Good luck !

just use Hasoon2000's program and Rumrunner S-OFF, it's dead simple. You only need to be running windows 7, That's for root, custom recovery and S-OFF

unfortunately you're gonna have to read up a bit if you don't want to mess up your phone

The one s was the first phone I rooted. it definetly isn't the most simple one since there's a second layer of security on the bootloader on HTC devices, but I got some great results.

Good luck !

Ok, thanks a lot. 

Good luck !

And do I need some more files than the S-off and hasoon2k? except the cm11 m11 itself and the G-Apps?