New power suply. how much Watt do i need.

Telhma
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

a 750w psu is enough for 970/980 SLI. Now, an 850w is ideal if you wanted something like 290 XFIRE just to give you some extra breathing room. So...if efficiency of the 900 series becomes the new standard then 750w will be plenty for two-way SLI. If future Nvidia/AMD cards aren't as efficient...well, then 850w would still be the safe choice.

I found out yesterday my powersuply was a little to old for my new processor (it only has a 4 pin conector to feed the processor)

So, i have to look for a other one.

My computer will have a i7-4790k wich i hope to overclock (only at boost to all cores 4.5/4.6 Ghz)

It's cooled with Corsair H105, and installed in the case are also 5 other fans, (2 are led, but i maybe change them by regular ones)

My computer will have 6HDD's installed, and 2SSD's

I think i will not install a optical drive.

A USB 3.0 cardreader will be there.

The motherboard is ATX.

and right now the graphicscard is a GTX660.

16GB DDR3 1600 Ram is installed.

So, anny clue how much power i need for this? the pc will be used for rendering, and when it renders the CPU is working att 100% for sure.

now, it seems more and more programs start to switch the rendering process from the CPU to the GPU. if the program i use will do that also, i probebly will change the graphic card in to 2 SLI 970 cards (or whatever it will be att that time) wich probebly also will run att 100% then while rendering. just optional, but what powersuply will i have to use then?

a 750w psu is enough for 970/980 SLI. Now, an 850w is ideal if you wanted something like 290 XFIRE just to give you some extra breathing room. So...if efficiency of the 900 series becomes the new standard then 750w will be plenty for two-way SLI. If future Nvidia/AMD cards aren't as efficient...well, then 850w would still be the safe choice.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Possibly a Evga 850, or corsair 860i or if you want to be really safe get a Evga supernova 1000w

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Possibly a Evga 850, or corsair 860i or if you want to be really safe get a Evga supernova 1000w

1000W is way overkill. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

1000W is way overkill.

Why do you think I said " if you want to be really safe"

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

I think it will be a 850 then, i expected it to be around 750w, but somebody told me you need to have a 20% more powerfull PSU then you need, so than i would need a 900w well, 850 is not that far away from that. and because i not expect all the hard drives to spin around like crazy when i am rendering, i guess 850w will be enough, and because i allready have 2 awnsers pointing me in that direction, i think it will be fine :)

thanks all.

Why do you think I said " if you want to be really safe"

850W is safe.

1000W is not driving your car at all because "It's not safe"

I think it will be a 850 then, i expected it to be around 750w, but somebody told me you need to have a 20% more powerfull PSU then you need, so than i would need a 900w well, 850 is not that far away from that. and because i not expect all the hard drives to spin around like crazy when i am rendering, i guess 850w will be enough, and because i allready have 2 awnsers pointing me in that direction, i think it will be fine :)

thanks all.

20% more powerful for crappy PSUs.

If you have a 80 Plus gold, you can go to around 10%.