Is there a way to get kicking bass on the DT 770 Pro's

theKumba
Go to solution Solved by BoredErica,

Idk how to describe it. It's more like a heavier, more noticable bass. Not like an Equalizer that makes the whole sound seem dampened. (I thought "kicking" would be description enough, don't blame me for that)

Could you tell me how to set up the equalizer slider thingy to get what I want?

Ok, I thought my joke was pretty funny, lol.  :P

For EQing, try not to push sliders above +0dB because it will cause clipping and other distortions. Instead, you move the sliders which are flat at +0dB down so you basically decreased the volume of the track. Now, up the volume in Windows or your amp so it sounds just as loud as it used to be. Now you can start experimenting with sliders. Up the sliders a bit, and decrease the sliders for some other parts. If you just add frequencies in the bass it will sound muffled. Because bass by itself actually does sound muffled. The lower frequency bass sounds more muffled than the higher frequency bass, so in theory increasing midbass will help remove muffledness. There are a few ways of thinking about it... One is to jump straight in and do what you want. That's how I approach it.

You can also think about the frequency response of your old headphones. If you can find a FR graph, it will show what frequencies it played and how loudly. And if you compared it to your DT770's FR graph, you can see what areas the DT770s are missing or have too much off and adjust from there. Some people try to think about what instruments need help and estimate the frequency, but that's really hard IMO. You can also download other people's FR profiles and try to tweak from there.

Here's is a classic V shaped EQ:

MDR7506_feq.png

Here is a setting I just whipped up that actually sounds pretty nice on my HD800s:

Untitled.png

Of course, my headphones are different from yours, so it might not work as well for you.

I've also asked your question on HA, because I'd like some more tips for EQing.

And just as importantly, maybe you should try your headphones (if they are relatively new to you) for a week or two. Your head will adjust to the sound a bit. 

And finally, there are parametric EQ which should be superior to the EQ built into Foobar. I should play around with that more.

Like the title already says I want to get the "kicking" punchy bass on my DT 770 Pro's that I'm used to from my old Razer Electra. Now all I've got is crisp and clear sound with a very deep and nice base, but it just isn't the same. On the other side I don't want to get back to the old headphones, because they basically sound like shit.

I use the 80Ohm version and an Asus Xonar XDG soundcard.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

What is "kicking" bass, and do you kick it back?

Idk how to describe it. It's more like a heavier, more noticable bass. Not like an Equalizer that makes the whole sound seem dampened. (I thought "kicking" would be description enough, don't blame me for that)

is what u mean is punchy ??

is what u mean is punchy ??

Exactly. Thank you.

TBH, you're asking how to make a beef steak taste like chicken. They're 2 different things, not the same. 

Best is to fiddle with EQ, but I doubt you'd actually get what you want without sacrificing the quality of the sound as a whole.

Other options, well, get another pair of headphone with bigger bass.

Ok, I thought my joke was pretty funny, lol.  :P

For EQing, try not to push sliders above +0dB because it will cause clipping and other distortions. Instead, you move the sliders which are flat at +0dB down so you basically decreased the volume of the track. Now, up the volume in Windows or your amp so it sounds just as loud as it used to be. Now you can start experimenting with sliders. Up the sliders a bit, and decrease the sliders for some other parts. If you just add frequencies in the bass it will sound muffled. Because bass by itself actually does sound muffled. The lower frequency bass sounds more muffled than the higher frequency bass, so in theory increasing midbass will help remove muffledness. There are a few ways of thinking about it... One is to jump straight in and do what you want. That's how I approach it.

You can also think about the frequency response of your old headphones. If you can find a FR graph, it will show what frequencies it played and how loudly. And if you compared it to your DT770's FR graph, you can see what areas the DT770s are missing or have too much off and adjust from there. Some people try to think about what instruments need help and estimate the frequency, but that's really hard IMO. You can also download other people's FR profiles and try to tweak from there.

Here's is a classic V shaped EQ:

MDR7506_feq.png

Here is a setting I just whipped up that actually sounds pretty nice on my HD800s:

Untitled.png

Of course, my headphones are different from yours, so it might not work as well for you.

I've also asked your question on HA, because I'd like some more tips for EQing.

And just as importantly, maybe you should try your headphones (if they are relatively new to you) for a week or two. Your head will adjust to the sound a bit. 

And finally, there are parametric EQ which should be superior to the EQ built into Foobar. I should play around with that more.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Meh, only 18 bands??

greq_zps2fdec7dc.jpg

B)  B)

I believe parametric EQing would be better entirely.

rockkick.jpg

With just normal sliders you can cause some weirdness.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

get another pair of headphone with bigger bass.

yeah maybe like sennheiser HD 202 some say it got a great bass.

u have a Sennheiser HD 800 ?? How rich are u ?

I have approx 22k USD... but keep in mind I still have to pay for college and stuffs. Other people have expensive headphones too. Any kid that wants to work a summer job can earn enough money to get HD800, the question is if they care enough to spend that kind of cash. That's a question of priorities, not wealth.

Meh, only 18 bands??

greq_zps2fdec7dc.jpg

B)  B)

HAHAHA

Hey Creatip. One of the guys I've been talking to a lot regarding amp powering LCD2 and your Youtube video is Xnor. And guess what? He's the one who made your EQ in foobar. I had it installed the whole time, I just didn't bother to replace it with the old EQ, and over time I thought the old EQ was the new EQ. 

Like the title already says I want to get the "kicking" punchy bass on my DT 770 Pro's that I'm used to from my old Razer Electra. Now all I've got is crisp and clear sound with a very deep and nice base, but it just isn't the same. On the other side I don't want to get back to the old headphones, because they basically sound like shit.

I use the 80Ohm version and an Asus Xonar XDG soundcard.

Here is an interactive picture showing the frequencies of many instruments:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm