EKWB FC GTX 980 TIM placement

Hey so I've been putting the ek water blocks on my 980's and am not convinced about the placement of the thermal pads. Anyone else been through this lately?

What do you mean by not convinced? They go on all the RAM chips as well as the chokes and MOSFETs. Nice foxhound picture btw :)

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Hey so I've been putting the ek water blocks on my 980's and am not convinced about the placement of the thermal pads. Anyone else been through this lately?

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers ;) in my sig you can find links to the CoC and the forum's F.A.Q. check them out!

Post some pics so we can see if anything is wrong :) if they are covering all the vrms and vram then it's fine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They cover all the VRAM and the mofsets but not the chokes. There was definetly more TIM on the stock cooler. I'll post some pics in a sec.

Ok, here are some pics:

post-75291-0-82353800-1412950430.jpg

post-75291-0-63197200-1412950433.jpg

post-75291-0-03784900-1412950435.jpg

post-75291-0-19246400-1412950432.jpg

PC's up and running like a charm with good temps all over and NO LEAKS!

Would really like to hear from someone else who's installed this water block though as I'm still a bit worried something is getting hot under all that metal.

Cheers

Ok, here are some pics:

attachicon.gifBare Card.jpg

attachicon.gifInstructions.jpg

attachicon.gifMy Interpretation.jpg

attachicon.gifCommitted.jpg

PC's up and running like a charm with good temps all over and NO LEAKS!

Would really like to hear from someone else who's installed this water block though as I'm still a bit worried something is getting hot under all that metal.

Cheers

If the intructions didn't show any thermal pads on the chokes (which they didn't), then it's fine. The chokes might be making direct contact with the block or something. They may just not need cooling.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

If the intructions didn't show any thermal pads on the chokes (which they didn't), then it's fine. The chokes might be making direct contact with the block or something. They may just not need cooling.

AFAIK chokes need little cooling. The mosfets how ever do. 

In the case of my Z77X-UP7: e9e2cee737b618788c5ee24cebe42876.pngYou can see that the chokes have no heatsink coverage at all. Whats under the heatsink are mosfets. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

EK is VERY thorough on their instructions - so just believe them

they've always been the best performing waterblock designs for years, so I would just relax instead of challenging their experience/expertise