Kraken X61 mounting problems.

Hi all,

I just got a second x61 from a friend who decided to build a custom loop for his rig. I have my CPU X61 mounted in the front position of my Arc Midi R2 in push/pull (necessitated by the internal steel structure of the case), but I did not remove the ODD bay at the top. I would like to leave it in if I can.

With the Kraken G10 installed on my R9 290 and the X61 ready to go in the top mounting position, I hit a snag. The rad doesn't fit because it hits the rounded edge of the ODD bay structure (see picture below). I tried to get it to fit in an unorthodox mounting position but that way the motherboard top heatsink and RAM interferes with it.

Anyone know how to deal with this aside from removing the ODD bay by drilling out the rivets?

Thanks everyone.

post-122963-0-62652300-1412796614_thumb.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

@Ian_Balisy Can you flip the rad around? (with the tubes coming out of the bottom)

*derp* mis read. 

If you've tried it with the tubes coming out of both sides, and neither side work, then you're going to have to do something with that drive cage--either move it out of the way, or drill holes in it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

if your real desperate to keep the drive cage, you can top mount it and have the fans on the out side of the case

@Ian_Balisy Can you flip the rad around? (with the tubes coming out of the bottom)

*derp* mis read. 

If you've tried it with the tubes coming out of both sides, and neither side work, then you're going to have to do something with that drive cage--either move it out of the way, or drill holes in it. 

I'm pretty sure I will have to remove the ODD bay.  <_<

if your real desperate to keep the drive cage, you can top mount it and have the fans on the out side of the case

Unfortunately this would prevent the top panel from going back on. Unless someone has experience with this exact situation and found a solution, I'm going to remove the ODD bay.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

You could always cut or bend the rounded edges if you don't want to remove the bay.  I would personally remove it though as it would be easier.

You could always cut or bend the rounded edges if you don't want to remove the bay.  I would personally remove it though as it would be easier.

My plan is just to remove it, since then it will still be intact for any purpose down the line (it's about 2-3mm of space that's making the difference though, so it's kind of frustrating). I'm going to drill out the rivets and remove it. Still can't seem to control both waterblocks though, LED control only works for one unit it seems.

Thanks everyone.