OCTA CORES are they worth it or not?

i was checking out phone arena when this hit me right in the eye:http://www.phonearena.com/news/Monsters-from-Asia-the-fancy-6.4-mm-thick-UMi-Zero-and-its-Super-AMOLED-display_id61491

i don't know how to feel about it, you all tech geeks out there, tell me, are they actually better or not? and are they worth it?

because almost every china flagship has an octacore while the highest snapdragon is a quadcore... what do you think?

to me it seems like a hell of a telephone but i'm not sure if i'm ready to soar into chinese phonemarket...

Not yet imo...

It will help with multitasking but RAM is a more critical point at this moment...

Edit: Phone in link looks smexy...

i was checking out phone arena when this hit me right in the eye:http://www.phonearena.com/news/Monsters-from-Asia-the-fancy-6.4-mm-thick-UMi-Zero-and-its-Super-AMOLED-display_id61491

i don't know how to feel about it, you all tech geeks out there, tell me, are they actually better or not? and are they worth it?

because almost every china flagship has an octacore while the highest snapdragon is a quadcore... what do you think?

to me it seems like a hell of a telephone but i'm not sure if i'm ready to soar into chinese phonemarket...

The only two apps aside from benchmarks that can use all 8 cores are Asphalt 8 and Modern Combat 5. Every other app besides those two, octa core is pointless. Also the MT6592 is only Cortex A7, which are weaker cores compared to the Krait cores in Snapdragon CPU's. However they do use a lot less power per core. In the end though, four or even two stronger cores will be better for regular use. 

"Rawr XD"

Edit: Phone in link looks smexy...

Yes. 

Screw Octa-core ARM powered phones, I want a Broadwell Y chips in my phone. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i mean.. look at that design man!

this is the first phone i'm liking more than my lumia 920 ( estethically) 

Since most of them (like Samsung's Exynos line) use an "Octa-Core" processor which is really just use 1.7GHz quad core+1.3GHz quad core processors and you can't use both at the same time (at least, not out of the box ;)), I'd say no. I'll take the 805 over that 64-bit Exynos any day.

P.S. Phonearena. More like iPhonearena. Read GSMArena, with their 11-odd-page-long reviews. :3

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

i mean.. look at that design man!

this is the first phone i'm liking more than my lumia 920 ( estethically) 

It looks like an Oppo Find 7 imo...

It's not that 8-core is bad though. If you can live with an 8-core FX over an i5/i7 then you can live with an MT6592 phone.

"Rawr XD"

No not at all, pretty much nothing besides benchmarks use all 4-cores as it is on phones and single thread performance is what matters which there's less of in Octa-core ARM chips so a phone with a Snapdragon 800/805/810 will beat it out in everything besides a few benchmarks.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Like PC's, extra cores and threads are worth it if software/workload uses it.

(In my opinion, not fact of course)

Problem is...  Phones are meant to be phones first, computers second right.... otherwise just get a portable phone for your laptop or use your tablet/various devices to make calls, damn offtopic fast again... lol

OnTopic.

They pump up the thread count, add more features and added CPU time needed from the software now to gain performance which may very well bog down/drain every other phone not up to spec.

Killing more sales than they make maybe?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Since most of them (like Samsung's Exynos line) use an "Octa-Core" processor which is really just use 1.7GHz quad core+1.3GHz quad core processors and you can't use both at the same time (at least, not out of the box ;)), I'd say no. I'll take the 805 over that 64-bit Exynos any day.

The phone in the OP is the Mediatek octa-core, which is a real octa core and all 8 cores can be used at the same time out of the box. But with only two apps on Android that can use 8 cores at a time it's kind of pointless over something like a Snapdragon 600/800 with it's Krait cores

"Rawr XD"

Problem is...

They pump up the thread count, add more features and added CPU time needed to gain performance which may very well bog down every other phone not up to spec. Killing more sales than they make.

Actually Mediatek is the only one with a true octa core, and they achieved this by using weaker Cortex-A7 cores compared to other dual/quad core CPUs with Cortex-A9's and the likes

"Rawr XD"

The phone in the OP is the Mediatek octa-core, which is a real octa core and all 8 cores can be used at the same time out of the box. But with only two apps on Android that can use 8 cores at a time it's kind of pointless over something like a Snapdragon 600/800 with it's Krait cores

Ah, OK. But still, my comment about having the 805 over any Octa core still stands.

My bit of advice to the OP: More cores =/= better performance.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Realistically, 2 strong cores like the A7 and A8 is all you need. With more cores and higher clocks, you consume more power under load, during idle the cores are power gated and under locked to save power.

ok, but don't you think about what coul the future bring to us? i mean, having spare horsepower is better isn't it??

dont look only at this phone, te mx4 meixu has 4 cores at 1,7 Ghz and 4 at 2,2 so, i don't think tey'll be a total loss against those 2,5 Ghz

Meh 8 cores are not necessary, its like amd and intel, 8 weak cores vs 4 strong cores,

But holy shiz man that design on the phone is absolutely sexy!

It looks like an Oppo Find 7 imo...

True, but the colours though

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

ok, but don't you think about what coul the future bring to us? i mean, having spare horsepower is better isn't it??

dont look only at this phone, te mx4 meixu has 4 cores at 1,7 Ghz and 4 at 2,2 so, i don't think tey'll be a total loss against those 2,5 Ghz

Not on a phone. You'll be wanting a new phone before mobile apps start using 8 cores in large numbers.

Meizu MX4 is based on ARM big.LITTLE processor, so only four of the cores can be used at once. In less demanding apps like social networking, the four Cortex A7 cores are enough to get the job done, and Cortex A7 cores save a lot of battery life. When you really need the power, it switches to the much more powerful A17 cores. It's like having two separate CPUs and being able to switch between them for power or efficiency. 

"Rawr XD"

no, they aren't really 8-cores, just 2 CPU's that are 4 cores. This helps with battery savings, but for performance sake it doesn't get you anywhere.

Hell it kind of holds you back as typically BOTH CPU's have a really low max clock speed.

and is that phone the first rip-off of an other chinese phone? Thought I'd never see that before.

Looks like a OnePlus One with a near exact logo of Xiaomi's Mi branding.

If you like leaving everything running on your phone while maintaining a smooth experience then sure it's worth it. But that 2 GB of ram will cap out long before all eight of them cores do.

Meh 8 cores are not necessary, its like amd and intel, 8 weak cores vs 4 strong cores,

But holy shiz man that design on the phone is absolutely sexy!

True, but the colours though

Exactly, people need to understand that in android phones, you pretty much get the equivalent of amd CPU whereas Apple A7 and A8 are Intel CPUs. I was pretty excited to see nvidia show off their tegra k1 dual core version (nvidia called them super cores) more than the lower performing quad core. The fact that the dual vote never made it into a phone left me with no option- go with the only high performance dual core phone on the market.

As a programmer it gets hard to optimize your code for 1+ cores. It's better if you get a processor with few strong cores than many weak cores.

ok, i got it, the world isn't ready for eight cores....

and it will probabily never need them anyway

Realistically, 2 strong cores like the A7 and A8 is all you need.

...If this were 2011.

Exactly, people need to understand that in android phones, you pretty much get the equivalent of amd CPU whereas Apple A7 and A8 are Intel CPUs. I was pretty excited to see nvidia show off their tegra k1 dual core version (nvidia called them super cores) more than the lower performing quad core. The fact that the dual vote never made it into a phone left me with no option- go with the only high performance dual core phone on the market.

Sorry, the A7/A8 aren't "high performace", the OS is optimized. Put the A8 in a Nexus 5 and it'd laaaaaaaaag.

There's nothing slow about the 805/808/810. Nothing.

ok, i got it, the world isn't ready for eight cores....

and it will probabily never need them anyway

Just like in the 1980s, people said we'd never need 2GB of RAM. Or 500GB hard drives. Or dual core processors. Get my point?