Worth getting a sound card?

Lord Lucifer

Hey all,

I have a Gigabyte Z97X G1 Black Edition motherboard and am using it's on board sound.

spec:

Audio
  1. Creative® Sound Core 3D chip
  2. TI Burr Brown® OPA2134 operational amplifier
  3. Support for Sound Blaster Recon3Di
  4. High Definition Audio
  5. 2/5.1-channel
  6. Support for S/PDIF Out

I generally use my Steelseries H Wireless headphone for watching/playing anything and to my ears it sounds great, but would there be benefit with a proper sound card?

Thanks

GUS or die

Old shit no one cares about but me.

No.

This.

The only perceivable difference would be a placebo.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I'll say buy a better sound system with the money for a Sound card. 

Even onboard graphics are good enough for almost everything these days, with the exceptions of those audiophiles.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

I'll say buy a better sound system with the money for a Sound card. 

Even onboard graphics are good enough for almost everything these days, with the exceptions of those audiophiles.

Listen to those graphics. Oh yes.

;)

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I would only grab a sound card if you are dissatisfied with your current situation.

For example, my motherboard sound gets interference from my graphics card. I got a sound card and it's fine now.

Compatible with Windows 95

Linus says no.

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

I would say Yes. Get an Asus soundcard, only if you have a the headphone that goes with it. meaning a really good one. No BEAT. But like studio headphone or kind of 250-300$ dollars HEADPHONE (no mic). Then you'll see a really good difference.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

If you're using it as wireless (bluetooth) then it won't matter whatever source you're using, onboard, or a $1000 sound card or equivalent. Wireless/bluetooth operation means the transmitter sends digital signal to the headphone, and then the headphone do the digital to analog conversion on the fly, in the dac unit inside the headphone itself. So it won't use the dac of whatever audio source installed on your PC.

If you're using it in bypass mode (wired mode), then the source can make a difference. But then again, if you're using it as wired, better get other wired headphones that's about the same price, and it will most probably sound better.