Setting up a raid. Moving data to external drives then back again.

Bupalooga

So iv got a second 2tb hdd to set up a Raid 1 redundancy array with my existing 2tb drive. There's about 1.2tb of data existing, the OS is on an ssd so this is mostly files, media, games & installed programs. I need to move my data off the existing drive over to 2 external drives (1tb & a 500gb) & then back again onto the fresh raid setup.

Whats the best way to do this? Simple copy paste or is there some free software i should use?

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

Hello Bupalooga,

since most, to all, files wont be write protected or administrator approval needed, i would suggest;

-attaching the 1tb and 500gb to the motherboard

-then bring up the 2tb folder view

--place to fit one side of your screen

-then bring up either the 1tb or the 500gb 

--repeat as you did with the 2tb but this time to the other side of your screen

-then highlight all and click and drag

-then change the drive to the next one 

-and repeat, highlight all and drag

I would wait 10 mins or until all the files are counted and starting to transfer, if no, yes no questions pop up than go to bed, it'll be awhile.

this method is as you asked, copied. 

I have done this myself many times, always has worked. NEVER CUT and paste, power outage can be a prick to you then. there is no need to get software to do a manual copy. 

one extra thing i do is highlight all the files/folders and right-mouse click and view properties. do this on both original and new files, see if the bits are roughly the same... some variance can occur due to placement of files on the platter, but its a good way to see if all files have been transferred. 

QUICK ANSWER
COPY FILES.

Best regards
Markes12344

NAME: HAF Satlite MOBO: ASUS Maximus Extreme-Z IV CPU: i5 3570K 4.4GHz 1.256V GPU: ASUS 1080Founders RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1600MHz 7-8-8-24 PSU: EVGA 750W Gold STORAGE: 1TB Samsung Evo | 4x4TB WD Green Raid10 OS: 10 x64 Pro COOLING: Custom 360rad CPU under water soon GPU too

NAME: Node Box Server MOBO: Intel DB55SB CPU: i5 750 GPU: ASUS 560DC OC 1GB RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMP 1333MHz PSU: Coolermaster 1000W Bronze STORAGE: 90GB Corsair FORCE Jails| 5x4TB WD Raidz2 60GB Corsair Force Cache OS: Freenas COOLING: Back to Stock