Linus Tech Tips App

I was wondering whether people would actually want an app for the forum. I know and iOS developer and I am sure some of you guys know some so I was wondering whether you guys wanted it. Also the app could be charged at a small sum say 1 $ so that the app developer can at least cover his costs and the forum can make a small amount of money as well. The app could also link to Linus's videos as well as maybe general tech new submitted by users of the forum.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

This has been asked before, it's a good idea but the mobile version of the site actually works really well. Only problem I have with it is figuring out how to reply to peoples posts.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

This has been asked before, it's a good idea but the mobile version of the site actually works really well. Only problem I have with it is figuring out how to reply to peoples posts.

But would a full on app for Android and iOS not be better.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

But would a full on app for Android and iOS not be better.

Ya it probably could be better, but would it be so much better to make all these lazy techies go and download it? :P

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Ya it probably could be better, but would it be so much better to make all these lazy techies go and download it? :P

That is true but if it is good enough then people should go and download it because I have been known to be on the forum on my nexus 7 in meetings and its is awkward because the functionality is not fully there. 

Ultimately Linus and Friends would have to decide.   But I would be up for it!

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

Ultimately Linus and Friends would have to decide.   But I would be up for it!

That is true well I hope they see this. 

This seems like a great idea! I would definitely get it if it went for 1 dollar (probably more if it comes to it).

does this mean that a mobile app is not allowed to be developed or can we develop it and then see what happens as long as it is good. 

Id love to get notifications pushed to my phone like on the facebook app

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I like desktop mode on forums on phones. o_0

You click their post and a 'quote' button should appear.

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

yes that would be awesome and would allow for replies in some cases to be made a lot faster because even though Iwork in IT I am not always at my desk so I dont recieve notifications. I could then reply to topics on my neus in meetings :) . There is nothing else to do in them because they are department meetings and I am the head of IT and most of it is just boring general business stuff. I only need to listen if somebody's department wants something related t IT or something is broken. Us techies get used. 

Owen, on 03 Jun 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

Tap on their post and the quote button should pop up :).

I would like that app vary much!

Thanks I think that it will be a positive thing for the forum in the long run. It would also enable the people to reply quicker to forum threads because people are not always at their computer. 

Do you think that the app is a good idea then. 

An app for the forum would be awesome!!

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

Do you think that the app is a good idea then. 

yer it'd be a great idea

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

it would be a good idea simply for push notifications, the forum itself seems to work quite well on mobile but you have to check it. so yeah go for it i'll put in my 1$

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Sounds awesome. How about an app for Windows Phone as well?  :ph34r:

The mobile version is great for surfing the forum and replying to posts. If you want to create an app, go for it, but I'm not downloading it as it isn't needed(and I wouldn't pay for it either, not that I'm a cheapskate, but come on, an app for viewing a website?).

Plus this has been suggested to death, either make one or don't post about it.

The mobile version is great for surfing the forum and replying to posts. If you want to create an app, go for it, but I'm not downloading it as it isn't needed(and I wouldn't pay for it either, not that I'm a cheapskate, but come on, an app for viewing a website?).

Plus this has been suggested to death, either make one or don't post about it.

Calm down man. You have to do research before doing something like this.

Calm down man. You have to do research before doing something like this.

Oh I am perfectly calm, but at this point I would start deleting threads/locking them and point these threads towards the suggestions thread(which this has been suggested multiple times in...).