Starting a website: Squarespace or...others

T.Vengeance

What would you guys recommend? I've been using Squarespace's 14 day trial and their site building templates aren't to my taste at all. I feel like just buying a domain and building my site from scratch. Taking into account this is just a personal project and has no definite deadlines, which would you do? I could probably learn CSS coding too (or html or whatever language site builders use...I have no clue xD).

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

HTML and CSS go hand and hand. HTML is for making your paragraphs, headers, pics etc. CSS is for making your site pretty, adding colors and fonts and such.

I would recommend you learn javascript too, its used a ton for things like slide shows and auto expanding pages

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

HTML and CSS go hand and hand. HTML is for making your paragraphs, headers, pics etc. CSS is for making your site pretty, adding colors and fonts and such.

I would recommend you learn javascript too, its used a ton for things like slide shows and auto expanding pages

Considering I don't really have the money to rent such a complex server like what Linus does for LTT, do you think it would be safer just to go with Squarespace + their domain and hosting? Or create a site from scratch, buy a domain, and search around for hosting services?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Considering I don't really have the money to rent such a complex server like what Linus does for LTT, do you think it would be safer just to go with Squarespace + their domain and hosting? Or create a site from scratch, buy a domain, and search around for hosting services?

well what are you going to do with your site? LMG pays so much because they have thousands of people on constantly.

Personally i would build my own site from scratch, that way i can do whatever i want and im not restricted by sqaurespace. Plus it will help you learn web development if thats a career field you want to get into.

It also seemed like you dont really know much about building a website. I would recommend you sign up for a free week on lynda.com with linus' offercode and watch an html/css course :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'd recommend learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript

well what are you going to do with your site? LMG pays so much because they have thousands of people on constantly.

Nothing much. It's mainly just a site showcasing design plans, and portfolios of my current projects. Tbh I'm completely blind in this, so excuse my ignorance. I'm just worried about transferring platforms IF (and I do stress that IF) it goes big. So pretty much I'm worried about sticking with a company that isn't very stable in hosting a site.

Yeah for a basic site you can get cheapo $4.99/mo hosting from GoDaddy or wherever else.

I recommend checking out WordPress if you'd like a more complex design that you can learn the HTML and CSS coding for as well.

SquareSpace looks pretty awesome but if you don't like their templates and site builder then looking at self-built is a good idea.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nothing much. It's mainly just a site showcasing design plans, and portfolios of my current projects. Tbh I'm completely blind in this, so excuse my ignorance. I'm just worried about transferring platforms IF (and I do stress that IF) it goes big. So pretty much I'm worried about sticking with a company that isn't very stable in hosting a site.

i edited my post, please reread it :)

If it goes big you should be able to pay for more hosting, or switch providers easily since you should have all of the websites files

Yeah for a basic site you can get cheapo $4.99/mo hosting from GoDaddy or wherever else.

do not use godaddy, ive only heard bad things from them

do not use godaddy, ive only heard bad things from them

The emphasis there is on using a cheap hosting plan.

Though I've used them personally and have never had an issue. I do like how everyone talks about "hearing" bad things about them. Can you be a little more specific? I know that there are better alternatives for the more techy power user.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The emphasis there is on using a cheap hosting plan.

Though I've used them personally and have never had an issue. I do like how everyone talks about "hearing" bad things about them. Can you be a little more specific? I know that there are better alternatives for the more techy power user.

slow servers and a lot of limits for what you pay for. Plus there commercials are awful

There's this website called 000webhost with free hosting, you have to do everything from scratch but it's free hosting but you need your own domain, not the easiest to use though. Otherwise Weebly, or Wix.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!