Need a new phone

Go to solution Solved by IkS-10,

Here's an interesting turn of events: I took the plunge and bought a Nexus 5 off eBay. Stock android and nexuses (nexi?) have always beckoned me and I was a bit disappointed that this year's Nexus was a phablet. Nexus 5 is still a great phone and android L seems to improve the battery life quite well (with the developer's preview at least). Compromised on the speaker front but I think I still stayed fairly true to my original wish list. The price was probably the most compelling thing for me though, at least this way I can change phone in another year and a half and not feel too guilty.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Hi everyone,

I am in need of a new phone since my HTC Sensation is showing its age now. I have some specific requirements that just don't seem to be fulfilled by any phone that I have found.

I need:

1) screen of 5 inches or less (maybe 5.2")

2) decent processor (snapdragon 800 or higher preferably)

3) wireless charging and NFC

4) decent battery life

5) decent camera

6) dual front facing speakers

7) at least 32gb of storage or microSD slot

8) Android (but no Samsungs)

I have only found the Sony Xperia Z3 that ticks all these boxes, but that's still a bit of a compromise in the size department seeing as I don't want a large phone. The Z3 compact would have been perfect if it had wireless charging or at least had a case that adapted it to wireless charging like its big brother, the Z3. (Maybe there would be third party cases to add this functionality?)

The only areas I am willing to compromise in are size and the speakers.

Thanks!

You cant really get all those in one phone youll have to sacrifice some of the things you want 

Honestly, if the Z3 compact is 'perfect except for missing wireless charging' then just get that one and plug a cable in it. It's really not that much effort :P

HTC m8? WITH DOT case AND http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/05/11/how-to-add-qi-wireless-charging-to-the-htc-one-m8-2/, but you don't really need wirless charging it is slower.... so it checks everything off yours list.

It's not a case of "needing" it, but a case of wanting it  B) .  Also that solution isn't so elegant as it takes up the micro USB port. And since I charge my phone overnight, speed isn't a huge issue.

You cant really get all those in one phone youll have to sacrifice some of the things you want 

I should think that we're at a point now that smartphone manufacturers could offer all those features in a phone, they're just too preoccupied with trying to make phones thinner and lighter so they skimp out somewhere.

Honestly, if the Z3 compact is 'perfect except for missing wireless charging' then just get that one and plug a cable in it. It's really not that much effort :P

Yeah the Z3 compact is probably my most compelling option. The wireless charging would have been nice particularly in the Sony's case since they have that little flap covering the port which would add precisely 0.3 seconds to the plugging in process  :P

The nexus 5 ticks everything but front facing speakers, not so great battery life, as it's a little smaller in that department, but with some management it can last a day easily, and goes up to 32gb in the storage area with no micro sd slot. The Z3 or LG G3 are the better choices if you don't mind size and the lack of front speakers on the G3.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

4) decent battery life

5) decent camera

Only phone that checks all of these would be Z3. HTC One M8 would as well except for wireless charging, but come on, spend the five seconds to plug it in yourself.

I'd go with the Z3. Even the M8 isn't that small of a phone due to its height. 

"Rawr XD"

Here's an interesting turn of events: I took the plunge and bought a Nexus 5 off eBay. Stock android and nexuses (nexi?) have always beckoned me and I was a bit disappointed that this year's Nexus was a phablet. Nexus 5 is still a great phone and android L seems to improve the battery life quite well (with the developer's preview at least). Compromised on the speaker front but I think I still stayed fairly true to my original wish list. The price was probably the most compelling thing for me though, at least this way I can change phone in another year and a half and not feel too guilty.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Hi everyone,

I am in need of a new phone since my HTC Sensation is showing its age now. I have some specific requirements that just don't seem to be fulfilled by any phone that I have found.

I need:

4) decent battery life

5) decent camera

I have only found the Sony Xperia Z3 that ticks all these boxes, but that's still a bit of a compromise in the size department seeing as I don't want a large phone. The Z3 compact would have been perfect if it had wireless charging or at least had a case that adapted it to wireless charging like its big brother, the Z3. (Maybe there would be third party cases to add this functionality?)

The only areas I am willing to compromise in are size and the speakers.

Thanks!

I dont think there a phone that is that perfect

apple.com

Only phone that checks all of these would be Z3. HTC One M8 would as well except for wireless charging, but come on, spend the five seconds to plug it in yourself.

I know its easy to dismiss wireless charging, but come on its a cool feature. Its nice to be able to just sit the device down and have it charge, and in the case of a heavily used device, it prevents unnecessary wear to the Micro USB connector.

Nexus 5, except for the speakers

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

G3 has wireless, in america I think you have to buy adapters from LG, but outside for the international its out of the box, unlike the S5

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

http://www.amazon.de/Mondpalast-magnetische-Ladekabel-Xperia-compact-Silber/dp/B00KDI49FG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412629314&sr=8-1&keywords=xperia+z2+dock+cable

Take a look at this if you don't want the hassle with the flaps on the Z3. Search for those in your country and you should be fine without Wireless Charging.

BTW, its magnetic so you dont need to worry that your connector breaks.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses