Recommended Build for 3D Animation & Gaming

Hi All,

As you can see from the title I'm planning on buying a Desktop PC for my Animation Course (in University) and I'm not sure what the best and suitable hardware I should buy for Animation and Gaming:

The computer will mostly be used for Animation related work such as using Maya and Adobe Applications such as After FX and Photoshop but I also love Gaming on my computer for titles such as Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs and I might need a new rig for upcoming games especially Witcher 3 and The Division..    :)

I have researched throughout the internet and pre-built PCs caught my attention but building a computer myself seems cheaper; what do you guys think? could any recommend a computer rig for this build?

Budget (around £1500)

(UK website and the build components from 1 website such scan.co.uk or aria.co.uk?)

(A monitor would be included in the budget)

I've looked at some components that could be seen in my build:

- CPU: INTEL® Core™ i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30 GHz 

- MEMORY: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4/2133mhz 

- VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB 

and also will be used a wireless internet connection so which adapter would you suggest?

If there is any additional information needed please let me know and I would love some feedback on this post  ;)

Go for an i7 as it's got hyper treading which will give you a boost when you're rendering. Be aware that the 5820K does not come with a CPU cooler so you will have to purchase an after-market one, I suggest the Cooler Master Hyber 212 Plus. 16GB of RAM is fine, however if you are running multiple instances of maya or you are using Photoshop, FX and Maya at the exact same time then I'd consider getting 24GB.

I'm curious as to why you are choosing wireless over a hard-wired connection. A wired connection will be more reliable and faster.

CPUIntel Core i5 2500k @ 3.30GHz | GPU: ASUS 6950 2GB | MOBOGigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 | RAMG.Skill Ripjaws X series (2x 4Gb) | Case: Antec 900 Black Steel | Storage: 1TB Black WD1002faex | PSUAntec Earth Watts 750W |

Display23" LED 1920x1080 Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 60Hz | Sound: Sennheiser HD 280 Pros

You should get a Xeon.  Same performance for a price of a i5 without being able to Over-Clock

Because he had a hard drive.