(canada) CAD currency coming for Canadian Steam users on October 7, 2014

Briggsy

Taken from an email I just received:

Dear Steam User,

Steam will soon be priced in Canadian Dollar!

If your Steam wallet has any money in it on October 7th, 2014 (Pacific Time), your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to the Canadian Dollar, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.

I can see most people here in Canada thinking this is a good thing. I only have one concern: when they switch, will we have to pay Canadian Sales Tax?

Currently we do not pay sales tax for steam games, but I know for a fact that for Origin I do, because they take payments through a 3rd party company (Digital River) that resides in Canada.

Anywho, we will see.  :mellow:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

it wasnt already? and pretty sure this is a repost, let me check

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/225246-steam-to-introduce-several-local-currencies-throughout-october/

found it :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

it wasnt already? and pretty sure this is a repost, let me check

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/225246-steam-to-introduce-several-local-currencies-throughout-october/

found it :)

it is and isnt. There is general one, but not a specific "Canada" thread

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So long as I don't have to pay PST, it's good. If I don't have to pay GST, it's awesome.

It'll either save me headache, or money. I use prepaid credit cards so there is a 2.5% conversion fee from Visa/MC and a 2.5% conversion from Peoples Trust Company, and I always forget at least one of them.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

My concern is tax and whether they adjust the prices. Is a game going to be $40 US and $45 Cdn? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Of course they will.  They aren't doing this because they're nice guys.

My concern is tax and whether they adjust the prices. Is a game going to be $40 US and $45 Cdn? 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

it is and isnt. There is general one, but not a specific "Canada" thread

so? it still covers it, would you want 10 different win10 topics or just one large one? :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

so? it still covers it, would you want 10 different win10 topics or just one large one? :P

Well yes and no.  The Steam news affects a great deal of countries all with their own currencies and taxes and exchange rates. So I'm fine with having 10 different threads about it if each thread is talking about how it will affect an individual country. 

But opinion doesn't really matter to the mods. 

Spoiler

Steam dosnt have a physical Canadian office,So i dont see them charging tax now cause they take Canadian currency.

Of course they will.  They aren't doing this because they're nice guys.

Exactly. And let me tell you that it won't be a straight USD to CAD conversion at current rate. It never is. That 40$ would be 44,87$ at the actual rate. They'll probably make it 50$... 

Exactly. And let me tell you that it won't be a straight USD to CAD conversion at current rate. It never is. That 40$ would be 44,87$ at the actual rate. They'll probably make it 50$...

That's quite optimistic of you. If it is anything like it is in Australia it would be $60.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

That's quite optimistic of you. If it is anything like it is in Australia it would be $60.

I didn't want to alarm anyone but yeah, that could happen :( 

We'll have to wait and see. Meanwhile let stay optimistic ! 45$ for the 40$ game !! :D