Alternative to the iPod...listening to music?

equippedbum

Faf? What's faf?  :blink:

needless messing about such as doing a time consuming process like converting music files in an age where we have mobile storage mediums of up to 512GB.

It takes like 30 seconds for me to pick out the options I want...

and it takes me almost a day and a half to pick out what i want to put on my iPod and again for me at least using a Phone as a media player will never be a thing till they make the SDcard hot swappable and give at least a week or twos worth of battery life. 

You have some seriously high standards... I can get 1000 tracks under 2gigs easily. Recharge after two 9 hour shifts at work while I'm sleeping.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

It's not subjective if you fail a blind test.

Looks clunky, interface looks meh. If I'm that hardcore, I'd just strap O2/odac with my cell phone and it'd have better sound quality (although still imperceptible). It's a $2600 player with lots of memory. Memory for what? Lossless files when Mp3 or other superior codecs exist?

On the go audio for lossless when they can't even pass an abx at the best of times with their best gear on Foobar at home, but now it makes a difference outside where there are noises from the outside environment? (Even with in-ears, the outside noise bothers me way more than the super-high noise floor on my cell phone... in fact, I can't even hear the noise floor once music starts playing and people outside start talking.) Add in features that don't do anything... Balanced? For what?  Lol.  Duralumin is an alloy of aluminum. Optical, for what? This isn't a PC, there are no ground loops. Hope the optical cable doesn't get damaged outside. The only thing that's cool with the player to me is the memory size, which I don't need because I can't even fill up 2gb of space on my cruddy cell phone because OGG compression is so ludicrously good.

For that price you can buy a laptop with O2/Odac that sounds better... Unless of course, the entire argument rests on the fact that spending $3200 on a player is worth it if it takes up less area than an ultrabook. Many things are subjective, but some opinions are more ridiculous than the rest (like wanting your steak well-done).

10 bux says that most people who buy it do so for sound quality, not really for features or to save space.

TBH, I used to be like that, dissing almost everything that doesn't make sense to me. But yeah, as time goes, meet more people, I got a bit wider horizon. What doesn't make sense to me, could make sense to others, and vice versa.

I'd never ever buy a Ferrari car, even if I have the money. For what? I live in a crowded city, nowhere to speed the car. And then there's the luxury car taxes, insurances. Not to mention thieves and vandalists everywhere. BUT....that's from my brain, my judgment, what makes sense to me. In reality I've met a few Ferraris on the streets, so at least for them, it make sense. Just a matter of point of views actually.

Same, I'd never buy that AK240, even if I have the money. But again, that's me, not necessarily have to be the same with others.

The 256GB internal is aimed to store DSDs, as it's also a native DSD player. 1 stereo song can go up to 2GB, and DSD supports multi-channels audio (and that's 1 reason why it got the optical, to connect it to an AV receiver for multi channels), which of course are larger in size.

Blind ABX tests are objective tests, with individual subjects, meaning it's still subjective, in a way. I can't pass an ABX tests between a 196kbps mp3 and a 320kbps mp3, but there are people who can pass the test with consistent and accountable results. That's the subjective part. For me, it makes no sense to choose a 320kbps mp3 over a 196kbps mp3, but for people who could pass the test consistently, it make perfect sense. My point of view and their point of view is different, thus, subjective.

We do it all the time here too, right? When I say MDR-1R or HE-400, or LCD-3 sound good, that's subjective, opinions according to me. On general population, maybe most people will agree, but there are people who wouldn't agree, thus, subjective again.

When you do meet the guy who own and love his AK240, even after hours of arguments, he'd just have to say the magic words, 'hey, it's my money, so....'

The problem is the people who think they can hear a difference, but in fact cannot. Which is probably like 99% of people who would buy such a thing for sound quality. That last 1% get a free pass. The 99% are under a delusion, that part would not be subjected to opinion and is not subjective.

Still ridiculous considering the alternatives which already exist and can perform the same functions (IE a laptop). The player doesn't even look super-high end...  Somebody wants to spend that much money because the form factor of a netbook or ultrabook doesn't appeal to them but they enough lossy files to fill up like 64gigs on a cell phone (which would be what, 3200 tracks? If they have this sort of problem, fine get the AK240 I guess? If money is no object and you can't go DIY. That is such a unique position to be in. The draw instead would be ohhh, the double dac feature, the balanced connections, etc etc which I believe is their top selling point. (Their own website hints that the device is supposed to be for ultra-audiopeelz who can hear the difference with a 24bit flac track...) Had they removed the buzzwords and said "Here is a $2000 audio player with lots of memory", I would have much less problems with it. Because that's to the point, void of buzzwords, and really honest. The thought of audophiles buying it cuz' of balanced connections, that annoys me.

What is the point of multichannel audio in a portable player? 

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I am partial to Cowon, they've been making high quality audion players just about as long as everyone else.  I had there iaudio U2 and so far nothing portable that I have listened to has come close the the sound quality I got out of it.   

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-iAUDIO-Video-Audio-Player/dp/B00DE14T9U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412114352&sr=8-3&keywords=cowon

I wish they'd release some newer stuff though. Doesn't seem to be anything mid-tier from them in production.

Fiio X1, X3, X5 are all great alternatives depending on your budget.

You have some seriously high standards... I can get 1000 tracks under 2gigs easily. Recharge after two 9 hour shifts at work while I'm sleeping.

man i have less than that free on my 120GB iPod.

Er... I'm not understanding your wording here. You have less than what?

Less than 2GB.

snip

Like I said, point of views. This is just an imaginary scene, but if you're looking through our point of view, youngster, bit of gadget nerd, don't mind extra learning, don't mind extra cabling, etc, of course a laptop with same price would be so much better, and can do so much more stuffs.

Now imagine if it were an old (not too old, maybe 50 and plus some) rich man, who grew up without much knowledge in computer technology/tech. A laptop would be too much work and learning, whilst the AK is intuitive, just power on, plug 1 audio cable, touch-touch, done. 

After playing with it for a while, that's what I realized. Their target demographic users are not people like us, but high classed, high ranked, and maybe not much computer/tech literate, that'd rather spend lots of extra money for a bit of less hassles. So yeah, unless insanely rich, I can't really imagine a youngster carrying AK240 on the streets. 

The only scenario why a youngster would be using it (that I can think of) is the 'bonafide' factor. Imagine hanging out/lobbying with big shots that make 7 or 8 figures/year, and he/she whip out a Sansa player. Won't look good....at all....

A real case of that, there's a high class lawyer in my country. He's well known for using all the top class stuffs, Bentley car, designer suits, big brand shoes, Montblanc pen, Piaget watch, big gemstone ring, etc. In an interview, he said, he doesn't really like those luxurious stuffs (he likes money, that's for sure), but he wears them to show his class.

And the multi channel in a portable audio player, I'm guessing it's for if you have a few homes (villas, resorts, logs, etc), each with their own AV receiver and full sound systems. That way when you're travelling between them, you can bring all those multi channel audio with you, plug 1 cable, touch-touch, done. 

Remember, I said, it's also not a thing for me, but I understand it's a thing for a specific target demographic out there. 

I use a sansa clip + with rockbox firmware and it absolutely beats my htc mini2 and blackberry q5

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Any portable music devices that can play flac files that also have a decent amount of space? Currently using about 70-80GB. And not phones, I don't like using up all the space and battery on my phone for music.

Edit: Never mind, the FiiO X's look nice.

Edit2: Actually yes mind, are there any alternatives? Maybe cheaper? Or more internal memory? Or that also play videofiles? Don't have to be fancy videofiles, just so I have the possibility.

I live to read.

Any portable music devices that can play flac files that also have a decent amount of space? Currently using about 70-80GB. And not phones, I don't like using up all the space and battery on my phone for music.

Take a look at Fiio X series.

Like I said, point of views. This is just an imaginary scene, but if you're looking through our point of view, youngster, bit of gadget nerd, don't mind extra learning, don't mind extra cabling, etc, of course a laptop with same price would be so much better, and can do so much more stuffs.

Now imagine if it were an old (not too old, maybe 50 and plus some) rich man, who grew up without much knowledge in computer technology/tech. A laptop would be too much work and learning, whilst the AK is intuitive, just power on, plug 1 audio cable, touch-touch, done. 

After playing with it for a while, that's what I realized. Their target demographic users are not people like us, but high classed, high ranked, and maybe not much computer/tech literate, that'd rather spend lots of extra money for a bit of less hassles. So yeah, unless insanely rich, I can't really imagine a youngster carrying AK240 on the streets. 

The only scenario why a youngster would be using it (that I can think of) is the 'bonafide' factor. Imagine hanging out/lobbying with big shots that make 7 or 8 figures/year, and he/she whip out a Sansa player. Won't look good....at all....

A real case of that, there's a high class lawyer in my country. He's well known for using all the top class stuffs, Bentley car, designer suits, big brand shoes, Montblanc pen, Piaget watch, big gemstone ring, etc. In an interview, he said, he doesn't really like those luxurious stuffs (he likes money, that's for sure), but he wears them to show his class.

And the multi channel in a portable audio player, I'm guessing it's for if you have a few homes (villas, resorts, logs, etc), each with their own AV receiver and full sound systems. That way when you're travelling between them, you can bring all those multi channel audio with you, plug 1 cable, touch-touch, done. 

Remember, I said, it's also not a thing for me, but I understand it's a thing for a specific target demographic out there. 

That sounds like pretentious BS coming out of rich people when we're talking about getting expensive stuff to show your class.

And also:

I usually like to see the product making the price, not the price trying to make the product. I had the same kind of problem with all the beta versions of A&K's DAPs. I don't mind a luxe tag, luxe price, but I do ask for measurements and results to back up the marketing noises. else luxe is all it is.

It's one thing to make something super expensive for the sake of profits, it's another to advertise it as audibly better when it is not. That's a flat out lie. A&K aren't extra-guilty of this, there are worse offenders. Anybody that buys the DAP for sound quality are delusional and I actively dislike them. Anybody that buys them to show off their class are too pretentious and it annoys me. Anybody else are ok I guess.

Edit: Never mind, the FiiO X's look nice.

Edit2: Actually yes mind, are there any alternatives? Maybe cheaper? Or more internal memory? Or that also play videofiles? Don't have to be fancy videofiles, just so I have the possibility.

Why do you need the ability to play FLAC files on a portable device?

That sounds like pretentious BS coming out of rich people when we're talking about getting expensive stuff to show your class.

And also:

It's one thing to make something super expensive for the sake of profits, it's another to advertise it as audibly better when it is not. That's a flat out lie. A&K aren't extra-guilty of this, there are worse offenders. Anybody that buys the DAP for sound quality are delusional and I actively dislike them. Anybody that buys them to show off their class are too pretentious. Anybody else are ok I guess.

About showing class, most people don't like it (maybe except overly arrogant ones), but sometimes it's needed for the circumstances, especially in lobbying big shots. I don't like it either, but it's the reality in real life, unfortunately. One of those 'I don't like it, but I have to do it...'

About sound quality, I'm guessing they're talking about DSD files. I'm guessing it won't sound any different compared to other DSD players out there. The unique thing is, it's the first native DSD player, I think. 

What makes you think that most people don't like to show off what they've got? Some people would do ridiculous things just to get attention, even if it's negative attention. And fuck lobbying big shots man, corruption is all they do, day in, day out. I can't use an iPhone because it's too mainstream for music? It's an item that is grossly overpriced, so we respond in kind. You might as well say, the $10000 cables might be worth it to a millionaire who thinks the cable looks nice! No, that's not who the cable was marketed to, for that price you can build your own cable or hire a guy to build a cable that looks that good and does what it does better.

Phrases like these piss me off:

The AK240 is a high resolution portable audio player from Astell and Kern.  Enhancing nearly every internal and external element of their previous players the AK240 is capable of remarkable sonic performance.  Full support of 24 Bit / 192 kHz high resolution audio files and native DSD audio support.   This flagship player has Astell and Kern reaching closer than ever to their goal of delivering the music as the artist intended it to be heard.   Equipped with two Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital to analog converter chips setup with an added exclusive XMOS chip that allows for Native DSD support.  This gives the AK240 an expanded soundstage and gives it the ability to deliver even the finest musical detail. 

Sponsored review:

“The sound was good. O.K. — really, really good. When I listened to a selection of Pink Floyd using Grado SR325 headphones, the music was clear and detailed, and the bass was nearly perfect. It was so distortion- and artifact-free that I found myself cranking it up far past my normal listening volume.”

- Roy Furchgott, Personal Tech / Gadgetwise

Audibly transparent gear is all that matters, and that is relatively cheap to produce. I'm so sick of audiophiles inventing new problems with audio to 'fix' them and then to charge more. It was ALREADY audibly transparent before they decided to add more 'upgrades'. Don't need to chuck balanced cables into the mix, we gonna double the noise floor now so we can eliminate the noise picked up from a 5ft long cord? Or are they running a studio here where the cord is over 50M long? No, it's a feature undoubtedly marketed to placebofiles, not people with mansions and problems transporting surround sound files.

And woe be to the people on the other end of the spectrum, who can't afford anything but still think FLAC is "probably better" than MP3.

Fine, if some multimullionare has a long list of criteria for their DAP and the A&K240 checks all the boxes, good on them. For every single audiophile that gets sucked in for an "expanded soundstage", they are getting boned but they are so blind, they'll like it. 

I'm so over this topic man. I'm moving on.

Because I like FLAC files, and a lot of my music is in FLAC because that's the only filetype there was to get, and I got tired really fast of converting ALL my music. I would have thought that was rather obvious though.

And it's really less a need and more a want.

And the FiiO X series looks really nice, so I might buy that next time once I can decide I don't need video and I actually have the money to buy a new player.

I live to read.

Because I like FLAC files, and a lot of my music is in FLAC because that's the only filetype there was to get, and I got tired really fast of converting ALL my music. I would have thought that was rather obvious though.

It's not really that obvious. Converting takes 30 seconds in software and the rest is just letting the PC do all the work. Plus, many people think they can hear a difference between FLAC and some lossy files.