Best motherboard for FX-8320/50 sub $130

Decrypt
Go to solution Solved by Sintezza,

Doesn't matter anyway as I will most likely be going with a 990FX specifically this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

i would highly recommend that by the way.

990FX chipsetboards offer indeed allot more pci-e lanes which can be handy for dual gpu setups and what not.

However, its a bit depending if you ever think about sli or crossfire, then it depends on which cards you look at.

Because the FX8350 will bottleneck highend cards in cf/sli

What do you guys think would be the best motherboard for the FX-8320/8350 that would be around $130 or less?  

The current mobo I am looking at is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790 the main reason I am looking at this mobo is there is SLI and both x16 slots are running at x16.

If you were wondering this would be paired with the GTX 970

Thanks 

EDIT: It was pointed out the mobo linked actually runs with one x16 and one at x8.

I have decided to go with a 990FX chipset most likely this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Thanks all for the help.

Yeah that board is fine, otherwise there's the GA-970A-UD3P and the GA-990FXA-UD3 rev3.0

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Got this one in my B-52 build, it's $120 with MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131874&cm_re=m5a99x_evo_r2.0-_-13-131-874-_-Product

BTW you don't need(2) x16 slots for SLI.

Thanks for the replies all

I assumed that for SLI you would want two slots running at x16 compared to main running at x16 and the second at x4 or something. Correct me if I am wrong though as I have never done an SLI build and have not yet researched much about it.

Thanks for the replies all

I assumed that for SLI you would want two slots running at x16 compared to main running at the main at x16 and the second at x4 or something. Correct me if I am wrong though as I have never done an SLI build and have not yet researched much about it.

running sli at x16 and x4 speed is not that great of an idea, you might not see a big performance increase over one gpu running at x16

It depends?

Are you overclocking or not?

Are you running sli in the future?

Sli in the future and I would prob overclock a little.

running sli at x16 and x4 speed is not that great of an idea, you might not see a big performance increase over one gpu running at x16

This is what I thought I should say If I was too Sli at all I would want the most benefit of course and I assume that you would want another rail running at  x16  for that.

Sli in the future and I would prob overclock a little.

then get a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, or Asus M5A99FX Pro or Evo R2.0

This is what I thought I should say If I was too Sli at all I would want the most benefit of course and I assume that you would want another rail running at  x16  for that.

anything above x8 speed for sli is fine, the 990FX motherboards will probably run sli at x16 and x8 speed(i think, i may be wrong)

sli doesnt even work on 4x

I didn't think so but a mobo like the GA-970A-UD3P has two x16 rails one running at x16 the other at x4 and I thought that was odd for something that supports crossfire.

There is no noticeable difference between 8x and 16x lanes running at PCIe 2.0 speeds, and 4x, 8x and 16x lanes running at PCIe 3.0 speeds.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

anything above x8 speed for sli is fine, the 990FX motherboards will probably run sli at x16 and x8 speed(i think, i may be wrong)

That makes more sense and as a final question is there a benefit to running with two at x16 or is it normal to run x16 an x8. 

Sorry for my lack of SLI knowledge.  :)

That makes more sense and as a final question is there a benefit to running with two at x16 or is it normal to run x16 an x8. 

Sorry for my lack of SLI knowledge.  :)

some performance increase because of higher bandwidth rate between the motherboard and graphics card.

i found a old page on benchmarks on pcie speeds

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling-analysis,1572-8.html

@Decrypt Are you sure that board has (2) x16 slots?

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/970_GAMING.html#hero-overview

Bult_ar_org.gifSlots

• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots
- PCI_E2 supports up to PCIe 2.0 x16 speed
- PCI_E4 supports up to PCIe 2.0 x8 speed
• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots
• 2 x PCI slots

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

I didn't think so but a mobo like the GA-970A-UD3P has two x16 rails one running at x16 the other at x4 and I thought that was odd for something that supports crossfire.

970 chipsetboards dont support SLi. only crossfire.

970 boards have 20 pci-e 2.0 lanes configered as x16 /x4. you can only crossfire on those boards at 4x

990X chipset boards, have 20 pci-e lanes configures as X16 /X8 /X4. you can run crossfire or sli on 8x.

990FX chipsetboard have 40 pci-e lanes configured as X16 / X4 /X16 /X4 you can run crossfire or sli on 16x

Actually,All 990FX boards will run in x16 and x16. It is one of the features i think.

Actually,All 990FX boards will run in x16 and x16. It is one of the features i think.

Oh well then i was wrong, @Decrypt, the 990fx boards will run a x16 and x16 speed.

@Decrypt Are you sure that board has (2) x16 slots?

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/970_GAMING.html#hero-overview

Bult_ar_org.gifSlots

• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots

- PCI_E2 supports up to PCIe 2.0 x16 speed

- PCI_E4 supports up to PCIe 2.0 x8 speed

• 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots

• 2 x PCI slots

I was not I was trusting Newegg to say if they were and it had just said 2 X16 while everything else had shown 2x16(1 x16, 1x8) for example. Thanks for pointing this out.