Does anyone else's Seagate Barracuda HDD make weird noises?

I have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda, and when I watch/stream TV or movies online, my hard drive occasionally makes a strange noise. I don't really know how to describe the noise, but I was just wondering if anyone else had an issue. By the way, it only happens when I'm watching videos online. Super weird.

Can you take a video and share it with us?

Because he had a hard drive.

They're known to do this. Mainly why WD Blacks are more frequently recommended.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

WD black drives are some of the loudest drives in the market...

They make a lot of searching noise.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My 4 don't though my WD blue does.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Hitachi > Western Digital > Seagate

Hitachi mainly do enterprise drives, and their desktop counterparts are of higher quality than other manufacturers.

@OP Is your drive LED light flickering on your case? It indicates that your hard drive is accessing your drive to read/write.

On a side note - you tried toggling off hardware acceleration on your browser/media player?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

You sure it's the drive?

Yeah, I've taken off my side panel to make sure it was the drive making the noise.

Hitachi > Western Digital > Seagate

Hitachi mainly do enterprise drives, and their desktop counterparts are of higher quality than other manufacturers.

@OP Is your drive LED light flickering on your case? It indicates that your hard drive is accessing your drive to read/write.

On a side note - you tried toggling off hardware acceleration on your browser/media player?

Yeah, the LED does flicker. How do I toggle that hardware acceleration on Chrome?

no...WD blacks are very loud drives. Infact people are often discouraged from buying them because of the noise.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

no...WD blacks are very loud drives. Infact people are often discouraged from buying them because of the noise.

I guess I fucked up on this one. I read that somewhere. My bad.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Can you take a video and share it with us?

I can't because I'm quite busy at the moment, but the best I can describe it is a combination of a scratch and a beep noise. It almost sounds like some kind of mechanical squeaking noise. Again, I can't really describe it that well.

I can't because I'm quite busy at the moment, but the best I can describe it is a combination of a scratch and a beep noise. It almost sounds like some kind of mechanical squeaking noise. Again, I can't really describe it that well.

A video would be the best way for us to tell if it's the HHD or not.

Because he had a hard drive.

I guess I fucked up on this one. I read that somewhere. My bad.

It used to be true about 5 years ago that WD Blacks had a significantly lower rate of head crashing and general than most other options, but that hasn't been true for a while. Maybe you were reading old crap relating to that.

A video would be the best way for us to tell if it's the HHD or not.

I know it's the HDD because the Hard Drive LED flashes when it makes the noise. I just want to know how to fix it or stop it from happening. I don't know why my hard drive would be active when I'm watching a video online.

It used to be true about 5 years ago that WD Blacks had a significantly lower rate of head crashing and general than most other options, but that hasn't been true for a while. Maybe you were reading old crap relating to that.

I have been doing this kind of thing for a loooooong time.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

.... I don't know why my hard drive would be active when I'm watching a video online.

If this is your only storage device, it's likely writing to the flash player buffer when this is happening. You could try moving the buffer location to another medium to confirm the drive is making the noise.

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

System Name: Rocinante = "workhorse"                                                                                                                                           

Is it like this? http://youtu.be/HP73edpQwgc?t=1m40s