VRAM becoming more important?

cooperb21

snip! good read BTW

While all this is very well said and true, there is one thing you have to take into consideration: it's that you can not really compare console specs and PC specs, games are otpimised to a much higher degree to run better on each individual console platform, while the port on PC is often trown togheter really quickly. A good example of this would be some of the last gen AAA console exclusive...they are very well optimised, check for example at the specs of a PS3 and then play ''The Last Of Us'', it's quite impressive even for a long time enthousiat PC player.

Oh and is your 770 a 2gb card? lol :P

...and also, the GTX 780 3GB is also out of place i'm capping out my RAM in too many titles for my likings already i can see the 3gb becoming a problem soon enough...to the point where i no longer even consider putting this card in SLI.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

While all this is very well said and true, there is one thing you have to take into consideration: it's that you can not really compare console specs and PC specs, games are otpimised to a much higher degree to run better on each individual console platform, while the port on PC is often trown togheter really quickly. A good example of this would be some of the last gen AAA console exclusive...they are very well optimised, check for example at the specs of a PS3 and then play ''The Last Of Us'', it's quite impressive even for a long time enthousiat PC player.

Oh and is your 770 a 2gb card? lol :P

...and also, the GTX 780 3GB is also out of place i'm capping out my RAM in too many titles for my likings already i can see the 3gb becoming a problem soon enough...to the point where i no longer even consider putting this card in SLI.

Yeah. Addressed optimization in another thread. Has to do more with CPU than GPU. Oh and yup I have the 2 gig version. Screwed the pooch on that lol :).

I did get if for $278 or something before tax open box at Microcenter though not long after Black Friday. No biggy. Gonna sell the 770 to a bud for 150 or something and grab a GTX 970. He needs a upgrade and I play WoW with him anyways. :)

If I would have paid like 350-400 for it I would be really bummed. Not bummed at all that the 770 is 2GB of VRAM to be honest. It really isn't a 1440p and up card anyways, and I like downsampling old games like Mass Effect and Nvidia DSR makes that a bit easier. Wanted to get off 1080p for awhile now, I was just waiting for this to release. If R9 290 was better value/features would have grabbed it. 970's seem to be a great deal though and has some features that actually impact me.

Usually hate buying release cards, but the 970 is pretty painless compared to other purchases I have made.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

You even have new 700$ card like gtx 980 

gtx 980 is $549 - $590 not $700 why did you say this plus i highly doubt it will need 6 gigs if it does its a bad port 

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

gtx 980 is $549 - $590 not $700 why did you say this plus i highly doubt it will need 6 gigs if it does its a bad port 

The price depends on where you live.

Vram will always scale with the performance of the GPU or at leased it should GTX 680/770 being the exception to the rule. There's no point in adding massive amounts of Vram when it's not getting used.