VRAM becoming more important?

cooperb21

Seems all new popular games on pc are needing you to have at least 6g's of vram to use ultra textures. This is very annoying since most of high end cards only come with 4g's.

You even have new 700$ card like gtx 980 that wont be able play these new games maxed out since they have only 4g model right now kinda bs. 

Thats system memory not vram. most games only need 2gb/3gb of vram for ultra textures.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Seems all new popular games on pc are needing you to have at least 6g's of vram to use ultra textures. This is very annoying since most of high end cards only come with 4g's.

You even have new 700$ card like gtx 980 that wont be able play these new games maxed out since they have only 4g model right now kinda bs. 

Your rant really makes no sense... I believe you may be miss understanding RAM. The RAM your talking about will most likely be system memory, not video memory. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

That's RAM... As in system memory... as in not VRAM...

That was just Watch Dogs. Just crappy game.

4gb with gtx970 is enough.

Your rant really makes no sense... I believe you may be miss understanding RAM. The RAM your talking about will most likely be system memory, not video memory. 

Can you show me a game that actually says you need 6GB's of VRAM to use ultra textures?

:rolleyes: Irrelevant topic making no sense

Thats system memory not vram. most games only need 2gb/3gb of vram for ultra textures.

http://www.gamefront.com/shadow-of-mordors-pc-ultra-settings-require-6gb-vram/

Posted on September 26, 2014, Stew Shearer Shadow of Mordor’s PC Ultra Settings Require 6GB VRAM

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

This also depends largely on resolution. For Ultra settings at 1080p, 2-3 GB is enough and memory bandwidth is as important on newer games (though my heavily heavily heavily modded Skyrim still manages to be the most taxing game I play lol).

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

VRAM is always becoming more important

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Can you show me a game that actually says you need 6GB's of VRAM to use ultra textures?

New lord of rings game wont let you play on ultra unless you have 6g card. 

Posted on September 26, 2014, Stew Shearer Shadow of Mordor’s PC Ultra Settings Require 6GB VRAM

"ultra -- 6GB or greater"

"assumed 1080p"

SCcgvjK.gif

what, are they loading the whole game onto the video card instead of the RAM now?

Error: 410

There you go boys you need 6g's varm also new upcoming evil within is same way it requires it to enable ultra textures. 

ShadowOfMordor-2014-09-25-20-55-27-91.pn

New lord of rings game wont let you play on ultra unless you have 6g card. 

Thats one game on a not so good engine. Probably huge 4k textures.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

There you go boys you need 6g's varm also new upcoming evil within is same way it requires it to enable ultra textures. 

ShadowOfMordor-2014-09-25-20-55-27-91.pn

They over estimate it for obvious reasons, they know that no one will have 6gb vram so that will be their excuse for why the game is not perfectly optimized. unless your running 4k or surround gaming you don't need it. 

-snip-

You know what that means don't you?

It means that the game is being made by some lazy ass developers that have ported the game from one of the consoles and they haven't bothered to optimise it at all.

Don't mind what the media says, just look at benchmarks and see how the GTX 770 still maxes out everything on 1080p.

You know what that means don't you?

It means that the game is being made by some lazy ass developers that have ported the game from one of the consoles and they haven't bothered to optimise it at all.

You do know what this means right?

With ps4 and xbox one having shared memory with ram and ram on gpu this means we will see this more and more with new games.

4g's is gonna be out of date very soon this is just start trust me. 

Looking at that screenshot, to get the ultra textures to even work you need to download a special ultra texture pack. looks like its just a publicity stunt to me, with a downloadable pack of uncompressed textures. no one's forcing you to use the ultra texture setting, and I doubt the game looks much different at high or medium.

Looking at that screenshot, to get the ultra textures to even work you need to download a special ultra texture pack. looks like its just a publicity stunt to me, with a downloadable pack of uncompressed textures. no one's forcing you to use the ultra texture setting, and I doubt the game looks much different at high or medium.

Maybe but its already this way with few of best games coming this year. The lord of rings games some people already saying its goty. 

You do know what this means right?

With ps4 and xbox one having shared memory with ram and ram on gpu this means we will see this more and more with new games.

4g's is gonna be out of date very soon this is just start trust me. 

That means nothing to us. Ps4 and xbox one even only have 5-6gb's max which in most games is taken up by AA. 4gb's is more then enough for a maxed out game on a GOOD Engine.

Computing enthusiast. 

it's because the current gen consoles PS4 has 8gb of GDDR5 shared between the CPU and GPU, so games ported to PC are requiring less DDR3 and more GDDR5.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

That means nothing to us. Ps4 and xbox one even only have 5-6gb's max. 4gb's is more then enough for a maxed out game on a GOOD Engine.

It means alot if you plan on buying any game in future they will all require 6g of vram especially new fallout game if bethesda is already making 6g required for evil within 

it's because the current gen consoles have 8gb of GDDR5 shared between the CPU and GPU, so games ported to PC are requiring less DDR3 and more GDDR5.

Especially since ps4 is going be lead platform for most games now