Air cooling vs Water cooling

Minty649

Hi, i am looking to invest in better cooling for my cpu (FX 8350) and i cant decide whether or not to go for a really good air cooler or a watercooler. I do want to overclock my cpu, but nothing too extreme, maybe around 4.6ghz or something. i have a budget of around £120-150. So my question is, what should i go for??

I have seen this, but i am not sure if i need it.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC...

Thanks

Specs:

mobo: Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
GPU: R9 280x
CPU: FX 8350
PSU: XFX pro series 750w
HDD: WD 1TB
CPU cooler: Cooler Master hyper evo 212
Case: Zalman Z11(changing if i get a watercooler)
RAM: crucial tactical tracer 2x4gb, 1600

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Tip: do not waste your time with 120mm AIOs

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

NH-D15 for air

kraken x61 for AiO

or H105 if you can only support 2x120mm radiators

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

NH-D15 for air

kraken x61 for AiO

i am sceptical about water cooling as i have never done it before, but will it give me better temps, will an air cooler hold up with a overclock??

NH-D15 for air

kraken x61 for AiO

I had an H220 with pump issues and decided to get an entirely different unit instead; I went with the H105 for $109 and the overall experience is much better.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

i am sceptical about water cooling as i have never done it before, but will it give me better temps, will an air cooler hold up with a overclock??

Yes

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

don't get that, the pumps are crappy and the reservoirs tend to crack. They are also hard to dampen when you mount them in the drive bays. If you want to go custom loop, you're going to want to do it the right way and yes, that involves spending more. For now I'd suggest sticking with an AIO like the  H105 or a good air cooler like the NH-D15 or maybe Dark Rock Pro 3.

don't get that, the pumps are crappy and the reservoirs tend to crack. They are also hard to dampen when you mount them in the drive bays. If you want to go custom loop, you're going to want to do it the right way and yes, that involves spending more. For now I'd suggest sticking with an AIO like the  H105 or a good air cooler like the NH-D15 or maybe Dark Rock Pro 3.

yeah,im leaning more to air cooling like the noctua tbh