Should I upgrade to an GTX 970 or wait for AMD's 300 series?

Pearlyus

I have the 550 TI for a quite a while now and I think it's time for a upgrade.

Should I get the GTX 970 or wait for AMD's 300 series?

My Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ baseclock | GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 550 Ti Golden Sample | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-D3H | RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | SSD: Kingston 120GB SSD | HDD: Seagate 1 TB HDD | Case: NZXT H440 | PSU: bequiet! Pure Power L8 530W | Display: BenQ GW2760HS | Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 3 | Keyboard: Cherry Keyboard | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Personally, I would wait and see what AMD has to offer.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

We won't know what to recommend until the 300 series from AMD comes out, so you could either nab a 970 now or play the waiting game :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Well AFAIK the 390X will be coming out in the first half of 2015, so if you're able to wait such a large amount of time, without knowledge as of when the R9 380X/390 is being released, and a super broad amount of time for the 390X. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I'd wait. I bought my 780 back when it was $650 MSRP, then BAM - a few months later, the 290X comes out and the 780 drops $150 in price. Probably a good idea to wait until both sides have all their cards on the table.

We don't know when the 300 series will come out. It could be an entire year as far as we know. (I doubt it will be, but it could)

If it was me, and I had been gaming on a 560ti for this long, I'd want to upgrade. Personally I'd just buy someones old 770 for cheap.

//ccap

I am also waiting for upgrade with my 560 Ti, prices aren't settled for 7xx and R2xx series, so GTX 9xx prices are quite high here

Finally got PS4 Pro

I prefer Nvidia cards, but AMD might have something better.

That's why I'm still struggling. ;-;

My Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ baseclock | GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 550 Ti Golden Sample | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-D3H | RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | SSD: Kingston 120GB SSD | HDD: Seagate 1 TB HDD | Case: NZXT H440 | PSU: bequiet! Pure Power L8 530W | Display: BenQ GW2760HS | Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 3 | Keyboard: Cherry Keyboard | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

>Waiting for a new release less than a week after a new GPU launches

>Waiting for a new release less than a week after a new GPU launches

Basically what I was about to say :P

This is just the way hardware releases work, there will always be some new and potentially superior technology waiting a few months down the line. All we have for AMD's next lineup is rumours, just like we did with Maxwell this time last month. You can wait if you really want to, but with the universally-stellar reviews for the 970 so far, somehow I don't think you'll be disappointed.

wait for the 960, it might be super cheap and perform admirably. iirc it should (in theory) perform at stock 780 speeds with a 100ish watt power draw.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I bought the gtx 970 and I'm very happy with it  :)

It all depends on if you have the money and/or if you want to wait to see what AMD has to offer.

I would get the 970 now if I were you but that's just my buying habits talking  :P

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

I was really sure about getting the GTX 970. Right now I have the HD7950 and I'm done decreasing shadow quality and AA levels on games like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3.

But when I heard R9 300 series would be the first to sport TSMC's new 20nm chips it kinda made me wonder.

I don't know what to do :/

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Intel Core i5 3570K | 2x Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600MHz | AMD Radeon HD7950 | Crucial M4 128GB / 2x 3TB Raid1 Seagate / 1TB Samsung | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair AX650 | Coolermaster HAF-XM | Logitech Z506 | Logitech G430 | Genius GX Imperator Pro | Coolermaster Storm Inferno | Samsung BX2350

I'd go for it now. 

You can always wait for the next thing to come out. But gaming is about having fun! So just grab the 970 and have more fun for the next half a year instead of waiting. 

Playing the waiting game within a fortnight of a launch is just silly.....

wait for prices on 7xx cards to die out in a few weeks and pick up one cheap (if price is a key factor) - note that as I understand they are no longer making/stocking them so don't wait too long or you will miss out (or you could get a cheap second hand card)

alternatively; over waiting for the amd 3xx series - wait for the 9xx big chip i.e 980Ti (or whatever they decide to call it) - I guestimate this to be as far away as the 3xx series, and I would expect the 3xx series to be a 380/390 launch followed by a 390x later on.

I would hope that the 980ti would both serve as a "good enough for single card 4k" option or a "blows the price on the 970/980's" enough to make them much more appealing

AMD's drivers hurt my feelings too much - I have crossfire r9 290's and wish they were 780's

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.