Researchers at MIT Create Better Liquid Batteries

qmully

Sadoway, the John F. Elliott Professor of Materials Chemistry, says the new formula allows the battery to work at a temperature more than 200 degrees Celsius lower than the previous formulation. In addition to the lower operating temperature, which should simplify the battery’s design and extend its working life, the new formulation will be less expensive to make, he says.

Apparently it uses two molten metals separated by molten salt. They tested that after 10 years of daily charging and discharging the battery can retain 85% of its original capacity.

I think that this is great making the battery more robust and cheaper will help renewable energy resources and electric cars be more economical. It would also be cool if it could be put into phones but we will have to see. Also forgot to add this, they have the same 70% efficiency as the ones in use today and may be even more efficient in future implementations. 

Good to finally see some battery technology improvements. Can't wait to see this used.

Link: http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/liquid-batteries-renewable-energy-0921

Edit: As stingbull said it needs to operate at a temperature around 500 degrees C (I can see how the quote can be misleading) but that is still cooler than the 700 degrees C it needed before. Will be interesting to see where this technology can go.

wait wat...

at least we're seeing more advancements in batteries lately, i swear until a year ago or so they haven't change for a long time.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Wait this was tested for 10 years or they tested it for a month and estimated based on that? Because there are tons of variables that might skew that estimate. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Wait this was tested for 10 years or they tested it for a month and estimated based on that? Because there are tons of variables that might skew that estimate. 

I was wondering that too but the article just says after 10 years of daily charging and discharging. I would assume over a short period of time.

I think you guys are missing something. "operating temperatures of 450 to 500 C" is not a max temp feature. They are not saying your battery can heat up to 500 degrees and it is fine. Your battery MUST be 500 C to work.

So no, you won't be seeing this at home anytime soon.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

"the battery can operate at temperatures of 450 to 500 C."

Down from 700C, so...we're gettin somewhere.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Wow now I can drive around with a 500C battery. Hope heating it to 500C wont take up most of my battery itself.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Wat. I feel like you would be wasting energy just by having the battery at running temperature. I see no practical use for a battery technology that likely uses more energy than it can store

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

This shit and similar need investment because battery technology is seriously lagging.

Not for modern day smartphones, but places where electricity isn't a certainty, where mobile technology is the only way to access the net.

Nice to see some useful research, hope it works out well.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.