"Maxwell is an Overclocking Monster" K|NGP|N and TiN crack 2GHz+

MEC-777

*overclocking my way to the moon*

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Recently an AMD fanboy on these forums was claiming the 900 series wasn't that impressive, one reason being the limited overclocking potential due to aggressive factory overclocks leaving no headroom for more. Maybe I can find the post and call them on it.

I only just saw the article last night. If someone else already posted it, I couldn't find it. Also it's not THAT old - only a few days. If you've seen this news already and consider it "old", then maybe don't bother reading it and just move along? That's what I do.

Personal incompetence is not a valid excuse.

4 days is pretty old, the original post also got tons of views and replies.

I'm not just going to "ignore it" because the news section is just getting filled with damn reposts of old news, all the time, you may be 4 days late, some people have been weeks or even months late...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Yea, you're right. Just the condenser part of the refrigeration loop would expel all the heat pretty easily. Water condensation would be a problem though. For sure.

condensation a problem? well if your trying to go as as far as LN2 cool your pc, why not submerge all the cold parts in mineral oil? no more condensation. Though you would need to make a seal around where the tubes exit the oil so no condensation enter the oil.

It's obviously binned to hell.

I don't think there's any other way they could get those OCs.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Personal incompetence is not a valid excuse.

4 days is pretty old, the original post also got tons of views and replies.

I'm not just going to "ignore it" because the news section is just getting filled with damn reposts of old news, all the time, you may be 4 days late, some people have been weeks or even months late...

Wow, someone take a dump in your corn flakes this morning? <_<  

I saw the article was a few days old, so I did a search to see if someone already posted it here and couldn't find anything. I thought people would find it interesting (which some did), so I posted it. I don't spend every waking minute on the internet, nor on my phone, looking for and reading every single article from every single website the moment they're posted. I have a life outside of the internet and technology, as do many of us on this forum. So sue me. 

You know what I do? I skim through the news section and if nothing looks interesting, I move on. There are more important things in life than to bother complaining about reposts in the news section of an internet forum and you complaining about it isn't going to make it stop. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

condensation a problem? well if your trying to go as as far as LN2 cool your pc, why not submerge all the cold parts in mineral oil? no more condensation. Though you would need to make a seal around where the tubes exit the oil so no condensation enter the oil.

Not bad !!

I might try that someday.

Spoiler

Not bad !!

I might try that someday.

Or something i thought of, is to custom make a vacuum case (reminds me of vacuum tubes). the loop would have to be ridiculously beefy to be under pressure AND be in a vacuum, but if all the components were in a vacuum than there would be no water to condense on them.

on another note: is LN2 conductive?

Yay, overclocking like crazy GPUs!

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Or something i thought of, is to custom make a vacuum case (reminds me of vacuum tubes). the loop would have to be ridiculously beefy to be under pressure AND be in a vacuum, but if all the components were in a vacuum than there would be no water to condense on them.

on another note: is LN2 conductive?

Well first of all, there's no perfect vacuum so even if the case was airthight and beefy, there still would be air in the case, just at a lower pressure than ambient. So, there still would be condensation, just at a lower rate.

Secondly, if you only sucked the pressure out of the case in order to reach that vacuum without admitting air in, there wouldn't be any air changes so temperature insise would rise and rise which wouldn't be the best idea for components even if some are water (or ln2) cooled. So you would need to admit air in sonewhat and suck it out with a powerfull vacuum pump which means noise, dust sucked inside and a lesser vacuum meaning more condensation.

I don't think a vacuum case is a solution. I like your mineral oil + ln2 idea better.

Spoiler

Well first of all, there's no perfect vacuum so even if the case was airthight and beefy, there still would be air in the case, just at a lower pressure than ambient. So, there still would be condensation, just at a lower rate.

Secondly, if you only sucked the pressure out of the case in order to reach that vacuum without admitting air in, there wouldn't be any air changes so temperature insise would rise and rise which wouldn't be the best idea for components even if some are water (or ln2) cooled. So you would need to admit air in sonewhat and suck it out with a powerfull vacuum pump which means noise, dust sucked inside and a lesser vacuum meaning more condensation.

I don't think a vacuum case is a solution. I like your mineral oil + ln2 idea better.

Also have fun not having the case get crushed by the 10000+ pounds of atmospheric pressure that would usually subside with the presence of air. With a lack of air the 10000 pounds would squish your PC like a pancake.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

yeah, the Mineral oil + LN2 is more feasible, BUT if the vacuum one was done correctly (any component that outputs heat would need to be cooled because as you said, less air means less heat transfer. on the note of the perfect vacuum however, it doesn't need to be a perfect vacuum, just enough so that the boiling point of water is below the air temp at that point no water can condense. other chemicals might, however, so to combat that the chamber would need to be filled with an inert gas.

WAIT. new idea, better than both. 

fill the chamber with an inert gas, (that won't condense at the LN2 temps, helium comes to mind) and preasurize the chamber a bit. the strain on the pressurized LN2 loop would be reduced some and al

Also have fun not having the case get crushed by the 10000+ pounds of atmospheric pressure that would usually subside with the presence of air. With a lack of air the 10000 pounds would squish your PC like a pancake.

I wasn't thinking of using a run of the mill PC case. it would need to be a modified vacuum chamber.

l the non LN2 cooled components would be cooled through the "air"

and obviously, this would be for someone who WANTS to do it, as it would almost definitely need regular maintenance.

-snip

yea that would be smart, if you got a way to keep the ln2 at it would probably be around 1000's of psi. if you could isolate the tubing enough you might not even have to worry about condensation. although even pumping the ln2 would be tricky. the one thing i can think of is have a cylinder over the cpu. if you just keep it highly compressed, you can keep it in its liquid form you also wont have to worry about it breaking any orings. also you dont have to worry about a pump, or any tubing. i dont know if it would work its just a idea i had.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival