The Buccaneer - A 300$ 3D printer

Ziommm

Here's a nice Kickstarter project that just, well, kicked in. They already reached their main goal, and almost hit the stretch goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pirate3d/the-buccaneer-the-3d-printer-that-everyone-can-use

835d217f3645cc4aeb3f72e113c94a31_large.j

The nice part is that it's meant to be for everyone, and every part is build around that logic. It's easy to setup, calibrate, and of course, use. 

The software, available on PC and mobile devices (connected locally via wifi + a cloud architecture) allows the end-user to download, but also create object through a simple web interface. You can aslo use traditional .STL files.

b23ee523347c30db5210e4d8b14299e9_large.j

It's built around open-source techs, such as Raspberry Pi.

06eeb0d1b4f03319c4bf12a7a94f8a18_large.j

The fact that it works with Pi makes me hope it will be easy to tinker and use other softwares such as Slic3R to interact with it. but at that price point I'm afraid it will be closed in some way.

It's not the first 3D printer meant for the lambda user, but it's definitely the cheapest, and maybe the prettiest too.

What's your opinion ?

Very cool, introducing the $300 unlimited pistol creator! Create guns from the comfort of your sofa on your ipad :D , its very good though, good from new companies and designers. Could be especially useful to young creators..

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

I am disturbed by the lack of windows os support =/. It shows it being connected to a ios, android, osx device, yet no signs of windows os support. It doesn't even support usb

"We do not like USB as the connection is often buggy, and the need to install USB drivers (and code a driver for every platform) makes life difficult for a lot of people."

I'm not trying to bash them or anything, I very much support the idea of a affordable prebuilt 3d printer for the average joes.

I am disturbed by the lack of windows os support =/. It shows it being connected to a ios, android, osx device, yet no signs of windows os support. It doesn't even support usb

"We do not like USB as the connection is often buggy, and the need to install USB drivers (and code a driver for every platform) makes life difficult for a lot of people."

I'm not trying to bash them or anything, I very much support the idea of a affordable prebuilt 3d printer for the average joes.

You can use it on both windows, macs and Linux. We just use Macs in our photos for simplicity's sake.

Last updated: Sunday Jun 2, 7:53am EDT

^ from their FAQ at the bottom of the page.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

*Note that the printers can operate offline without going through the Pirate Cloud*

While I probably still won't be buying one due to not really needing a 3D printer, this is a pretty big deal for me. At the very least, I'd spend $300 on this before spending at least as much (probably more) on an Xbone.

If it does come out with decent resolution, I would probably buy one. Imagine all the small projects I can do with this ... and as well as I can tell people I have a 3D printer =D