Dealing with Temperature Fluctuations (not PC temp)

joncppl

So with autumn steadily approaching, my fear is not typical Vancouver rain or moderately cold temperatures, it is walking into buildings with the heating cranked to something ridiculous.

I am a student at UBC, which is an open campus university. In between lectures, I have to walk a distance outdoors to get to my next class. I'm fairly warm blooded, and I will wear shorts and T-shirt right up until late October, and find myself quite comfortable outdoors. 

The problem is going indoors. Not only does the faculty insist on using central heating set to something like 25*C, a room tightly packed with 100 or so people who were just briskly walking, makes for a stuffy, uncomfortable nightmare. My ideal temperature is about 15-17*C, and I find these temperatures absolutely unbearable and it is difficult to focus. Usually I'm in shorts and T-shirt and as it gets to late autumn and winter (even worse), I will have to strip off my (wet) jacket and sweater.

Does anyone have any tips on how to be comfortable when constantly switching from hot to cold environments?

Does anyone have any tips on how to be comfortable when constantly switching from hot to cold environments?

Theres really nothing you can do. Just gotta suck it up and deal with it. 

The only thing you really can do is get to class a bit early, and acclimate, but thats more beneficial if you're uncomfortable walking between classes and only get comfortable once you get where you're going. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So with autumn steadily approaching, my fear is not typical Vancouver rain or moderately cold temperatures, it is walking into buildings with the heating cranked to something ridiculous.

I am a student at UBC, which is an open campus university. In between lectures, I have to walk a distance outdoors to get to my next class. I'm fairly warm blooded, and I will wear shorts and T-shirt right up until late October, and find myself quite comfortable outdoors. 

The problem is going indoors. Not only does the faculty insist on using central heating set to something like 25*C, a room tightly packed with 100 or so people who were just briskly walking, makes for a stuffy, uncomfortable nightmare. My ideal temperature is about 15-17*C, and I find these temperatures absolutely unbearable and it is difficult to focus. Usually I'm in shorts and T-shirt and as it gets to late autumn and winter (even worse), I will have to strip off my (wet) jacket and sweater.

Dude I feel ya!!! I live about 30m South of you... shorts up to November-ish and I keep all the Windows slightly open at night, I usually have a gallon of water on me for the gym at the college, I drink like 1-2 gallons a day but in tight ass lecture rooms I turn into a 24 valve diesel, I'll go through a gallon in 30 min easy. 

Theres really nothing you can do. Just gotta suck it up and deal with it. 

I guess so. I think I'm in general pretty sensitive to temperature.

The only thing you really can do is get to class a bit early

I can do that with my first class, after that I have to speed walk/run to get to the next class on time, which only makes matters worse.

I can do that with my first class, after that I have to speed walk/run to get to the next class on time, which only makes matters worse.

I know the feeling :/ 

Luckily for me I'm a CS major, and apparently CS majors like things cold since the main CS building on campus is by far the coldest of them all. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'll go through a gallon in 30 min easy. 

That made me think that I may slightly dehydrated. I'll try upping how much water I drink. Maybe that will help, thanks.

Get a heat dissipation unit built into a backpack, then run some thermal conductors inside you shirt. That way you transfer the heat away from your body.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I know the feeling :/ 

Luckily for me I'm a CS major, and apparently CS majors like things cold since the main CS building on campus is by far the coldest of them all. 

Same at my campus. I used to have some classes at the relatively new CS buildings(2005), but now I'm in all the old physics (build in the 40s/60s) and math (20s) buildings.

Get a heat dissipation unit built into a backpack, then run some thermal conductors inside you shirt. That way you transfer the heat away from your body.

I should affix all of my CPU coolers to myself and carry around a battery to power the fans. 

Try online classes? I know that's one of the best thing about mine, I don't have to travel to an uncomfortable little place filled with jackasses...

I too am extremely warm blooded. I wear shorts and t shirts through most of december here in the US.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I should affix all of my CPU coolers to myself and carry around a battery to power the fans. 

4 noctuas in a backpack unit should suffice. All you need is to run some really thin water pipes through out your shirt and have all the water circulating in them get pumped to a quad 140mm radiator.

EDIT: I think the average human has a TDP of 60w or so...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

4 noctuas in a backpack unit should suffice. All you need is to run some really thin water pipes through out your shirt and have all the water circulating in them get pumped to a quad 140mm radiator.

EDIT: I think the average human has a TDP of 60w or so...

Y'know...you're just way overthinking this.... 

Just show up in one of these: 

Apollo_11_Space_Suit_Hi-Fi_Replica.jpg

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Y'know...you're just way overthinking this.... 

Just show up in one of these: SNIP

Well, I thought the idea was to get a solution for less that millions of dollars. A basic WC loop will suffice if you ask me.

Spoiler

And here I thought I was the only one who was facing these problems. But yes, as a fellow warm-blooded fellow, I can relate. Drinking lots of water and sitting next to a window that is able to open can usually help. (Unless it's raining, then the humidity just makes it worse).