Monitors for gaming

Adashmada

I'm building myself a gaming pc and I was wondering what where the, sortof baseline specs would be best for gaming e.g. Latency, cantrast and LED or LCD.

i5 3570K,Swiftech H220, Fractal Design Define R2 XL, Windforce GTX 760, 1tb Hitachi, 3tb Seagate, 120gb Samsung 840 EVO, XSTAR DP2710, Asus P8Z77 LX, 12gb Corsair Veangance, AX760

First of all are you interested in 3D gaming?

If yes you will be limited to a TN panel.

If no I would suggest suggest that you avoid TN panels.

You have to know what size you want and what resolution because that limits your options.

Also specs are not the only answer, you should visit a local store (if possible) and try to sit in front of the displays, then look for colors, response, ghosting, viewing angles and of course the design of the display as well as if you want glossy or non glossy panel.

If you want to do 3D gaming you are gonna need a 120Hz panel.

LED and LCD are the same thing. LED monitors used LCD pixels but use LED for back lights. Whereas an LCD panel the pixels will produce the back light.

You can use an IPS a PLS a VA or a TN panel. TN panels are the fastest in terms of response time and latency but they have the worst colour reproduction and viewing angles . IPS and PLS are the same in terms of response time colour reproduction and viewing angle and VA are closer to IPS and PLS but cheaper and similar response times.

Good TN panels will claim to have a response time of 2ms, IPS and PLS around the 5ms mark. These are all far of as LCD pixels are the slowest way of displaying a picture.

People say that it is impossible to game on an IPS or PLS panel and the TN is the only way to game properly. I game on an IPS and so do a few other people that I know and from memory so does Linus.

If you want your game to look nice and you have the money to spend you can look into getting a monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 but otherwise, you can go with a 1920x1080; I would also get a LED backlit LCD monitor. You also don't want to get a monitor with a huge response time such as 10+ms. Otherwise than that you can spend more money for a monitor with higher contrast but honestly really can tell to big of a difference between the ratios.

If you want a monitor strictly for gaming then, ya, a 120hz monitor is your best bet, which keeps you locked to a tn panel (not good color reproduction or viewing angles)

If you are want better color, then get a 60 hz monitor (which might exhibit frame tearing if you go higher than 60 fps in your game). Also, led monitors are good as far as color and how the pictures look, so I would recommend that, and I would also recommend, if you go the 60 hz route, to get an ips panel, with excellent color reproduction. 1080p is I think the best resolution and anywhere about 3 milliseconds away from 5 millisecond response times are good.

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

For playing FPSs like Counterstrike or Battlefield 3, I love my Yamakasi Catleap. 1440p 120Hz IPS panel. Looks great and is wicked fast!

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

For playing FPSs like Counterstrike or Battlefield 3' date=' I love my Yamakasi Catleap. 1440p 120Hz IPS panel. Looks great and is wicked fast! [/quote']

You can't get 120Hz ones of those anymore they were only overclockable on the 2b board and those have been discontinued

mate depends on what you want the monitor for...

For playing FPSs like Counterstrike or Battlefield 3' date=' I love my Yamakasi Catleap. 1440p 120Hz IPS panel. Looks great and is wicked fast! [/quote'] You can't get 120Hz ones of those anymore they were only overclockable on the 2b board and those have been discontinued

You can easily OC these to at least 110Hz. Discontinued? I dont think so...

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

For playing FPSs like Counterstrike or Battlefield 3' date=' I love my Yamakasi Catleap. 1440p 120Hz IPS panel. Looks great and is wicked fast! [/quote'] You can't get 120Hz ones of those anymore they were only overclockable on the 2b board and those have been discontinued

They have been discontinued the ones that are on there are old stock because if they wern't discontinued then they wouldn't cost 2-3 times the amount of money as the rest of them

If you are very serious about competitive fps I would recommend going with a 120hz (or if you just really like the extra buttery smoothness / want to 3D game). If you don't care too much about that, IPS is an excellent choice for it's better colours. Genres like rts/rpg don't really benefit from 120hz (at least in my opinion, I prefer the better colour). In terms of input lag, I doubt you'd notice anything on an ips. But I would recommend going to test out some monitors to see what type of monitor you prefer.

If you are very serious about competitive fps I would recommend going with a 120hz (or if you just really like the extra buttery smoothness / want to 3D game). If you don't care too much about that' date=' IPS is an excellent choice for it's better colours. Genres like rts/rpg don't really benefit from 120hz (at least in my opinion, I prefer the better colour). In terms of input lag, I doubt you'd notice anything on an ips. But I would recommend going to test out some monitors to see what type of monitor you prefer. [/quote']

Different monitors will respond in different ways even if they have the same panel type much in the same way the two membrane keyboard can feel different

If you play something like League of Legends more often than not, a 2560x1440 display will benefit MUCH more than a 120Hz display.

120Hz / 3D for FPS games.

Higher resolution for RTS and MOBAs, and even RPGs.

Really, I don't find 120Hz or 3D to be that useful at all in anything other than FPS games.

Ideal specs would be along the lines of 120Hz, 3D, 2560x1600, IPS, 2ms response time.

Unfortunately these don't exist :(

Basically the more you expect out of a monitor, the more you have to pay. What's your budget and what country?

If you play something like League of Legends more often than not' date=' a 2560x1440 display will benefit MUCH more than a 120Hz display. 120Hz / 3D for FPS games. Higher resolution for RTS and MOBAs, and even RPGs. Really, I don't find 120Hz or 3D to be that useful at all in anything other than FPS games. Ideal specs would be along the lines of 120Hz, 3D, 2560x1600, IPS, 2ms response time. Unfortunately these don't exist :( [/quote']

The technology exists to make that monitor but no one will make it because it cost too much money to do. In order to achieve all of that on one monitor you have to throw one hell of a processor in there which cost losts of money along with all of the rest of it you would be looking a $3k plus which isn't commercially viable because not enough people would buy them.

I would seriously get an older CRT.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

If you aren't looking to spend much then the Asus VE278Q is a good choice. It's cheap, 27", 1080p, 2ms response time, if you like bright monitors then this is 300cd/㎡ and pixel pitch is 0.311mm. Got mine for £230 which is a bargain :)

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

BenQ is always the best. Cheap and great quality.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

The Asus VG278HE is a great gaming monitor, it is on the side of a more expensive monitor but it's a great for gaming, it is a 27" Display, 2MS response time, 144HZ, 3D, LED backlight monitor, FullHD 1920 x 1080, has all the connectivity that you ever need and it has height, swivel and tilt adjustments.

-virusal19

BenQ is always the best. Cheap and great quality.

Like Ghost said, BenQ makes good monitors.

I'm using a 60hz TN panel Fujitsu monitor right now, I'm happy with it but it's nothing special, if I had all the moneys I would get a 120Hz monitor.

I'd recommend a BenQ 2420, once you go 120Hz you won't want to go back. Worth the money as it's a longtime investment that can be used for your next build.

From what I've heard that pixel ghosting doesn't make them look like a TN or CRT at 120Hz.

I'm also considering of buying a new monitor. I have now Dell's 20 inch 1600x1200 monitor. I don't know what model it is for sure, but specs and the look refers to Dell UltraSharp 2007FP. (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-4687) So it isn't really made for gaming.

I'm looking for 1920x1080 monitor for around 200€ (=260$, but prices are way cheaper at ncix than in Finland). I will use the screen for gaming but I think picture quality is more important to me than super quick response time. So propably I'm not going to buy a monitor with TN-panel. So have you got any suggestions what would be a resonable cheap monitor with led backlite and fine response time for gaming.

Would Benq GW2450HM be a good buy? (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69380&vpn=GW2450HM&manufacture=BenQ&promoid=1366) It's 199€ in Finland, native contrast ratio is very good and based on a review I read it should have good response time for a VA-panel.