What should my upgrade path be?

hezzajm

My rig atm is fine but is slow to start but I'd like to be able to upgrade to either a new monitor 144hz or 1440p but I don't know what I should buy first.

get an ssd first. also you will need a new gpu if you want to take full advantage of 1440p or 144hz at decent settings

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

If you have windows, the 1440p would be a pain in the arse if its on less than a 12 inch screen. Scaling is awful. 144Hz is kind of 'gimmicky' to me and I prefer 60hz 1080p IPS monitors :3.

And if your computer is slowing down, rather buy an SSD or more ram, a monitor wont make it faster.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Firstly, What are your specs?

I would say to buy an sdd first to make they system more snappier,

then buy the monitor with high refresh rate for games, and you will also need a new gpu to reach the target framerates on the new monitor

SSD first, then the monitor

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I have a 60 hz ips monitor lol

What games do you play?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Intel i5 4440 gtx 760 corsair 200r 1tb HDD

Here's how it goes....

SSD

Motherboard and CPU

GPU

1440p monitor.

Why motherboard and CPU? Because you should get an i5 4690k or the i7 4770k. Why GPU after that? Because 1440p for a few games on a GTX 760 on high settings is absurd.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I have similar specs, so get an SSD, your processor is fine tbh.

Compatible with Windows 95

Agreeing with replies above, with this spec, you'd be best off getting an SSD (and put your OS on that)

Afterward, how much RAM do you have? For gaming, 8GB is the current sweet spot, not much more (heavily modded games excluded, watch usage for that)

Both your CPU/Motherboard and GPU are fine, my suggestion is watching the benchmarks and prioritize your GPU when you get unsatisfying performance.

A 60Hz IPS monitor is enough (for me, in my opinion), but if you want, go for 1440p (this may require you to upgrade your GPU roughly the same time depending on games), anything higher than 60Hz is, in my opinion, not a priority. 

So yes, because your PC is going slow, first SSD, next is RAM, if it's still going slow.... I think you're going to have to check your software, not hardware.

Personal recommendation on upgrading would be GPU > CPU > RAM (skip if you have 8GB, it's enough for gaming) > SSD/HDD > Everything Else. If you're doing any render-like projects (for example, 3D), then priority depends on programs for GPU and CPU, but RAM is recommended to be 12+GB.