Display keeps going weird (pic included).

Camul

TbiMbOI.jpg

Every now and again my main display will just turn into this mess. It doesn't freeze or anything, if I was watching a video on the second monitor I'd still be able to see it.

I can't think of anything that might be causing it, since it just seems to happen at random. The temps on my card and cpu are fine (GPU temps are about 44-50C and CPU cores are about 30C avg), I'm never doing anything resource intensive when it happenes because I usually just browse the internet and watch videos all day.

A couple of times it's caused my system to BSOD, a couple of times it has completley recovered, but most of the time I have to hit the reset button. I've tried updating catalyist, but it didn't solve the problem. Does anyone know what this problem is, or whay may be causing it? Thanks. :)

Graphics card is XFX HD7970 Black Edition. I will post any other information if you need it.

I would suggest to check your connections and maybe try a different connection on your Graphics card. Also check your cables just to be sure. 

Mine does that too occasionally. I had OCed my graphics card, and now have turned it back down a bit, so fingers crossed that fixes it. For me, it seems to occur when using YouTube, although not necessarily full screen. I use firefox, and have opted into the HTML5 beta, although not all videos are available in HTML5 yet. I'll post back if, after turning the clock down, it still occurs, but try that to begin with.

HTTP/2 203

I would suggest to check your connections and maybe try a different connection on your Graphics card. Also check your cables just to be sure. 

Thanks. I'll try it in my other PCI-E slot afterwards.

Mine does that too occasionally. I had OCed my graphics card, and now have turned it back down a bit, so fingers crossed that fixes it. For me, it seems to occur when using YouTube, although not necessarily full screen. I use firefox, and have opted into the HTML5 beta, although not all videos are available in HTML5 yet. I'll post back if, after turning the clock down, it still occurs, but try that to begin with.

This sounds exactly like my situation. I'll try lowing the clock speeds on my card and see if it fixes out my issue. I'll post back if I manage to sort out the problem too.

Have you overclocked your GPU/CPU? If so do not overclock it. Return it to Factory Settings/Default Setting/Stock Settings

My screen has done that a couple times. On OC'd cards, well, on my OC'd card, it happened when the memory was clocked too high. 

I am whatever I am. 

Here are the possibilities:

-> As mentioned, your GPU is overclocked too high. If you didnt' not overclock your graphic card, BUT you got a graphic card that has been overclocked, RMA it, as it's faulty.

-> The DVI cable is busted, try a different cable. You can wiggle the cable and looking at the screen to a the same and see if it's repeatable as you shake/move the wire. If not, then that is not the problem.

-> Graphic card is failing. A component inside the graphic card is failing. You need to get an RMA on the card to get a replacement. Contact the manufacturer of the card,

-> Monitor internal circuit is failing. If it problem appears when you plug something else on the monitor, or another computer, than the monitor is failing, and needs to be RMA.

Is it possible that this could be a software issue? Since my last post it has a few times on Windows 8, but I've not had the problem when I'm using Ubuntu.

Is it possible that this could be a software issue? Since my last post it has a few times on Windows 8, but I've not had the problem when I'm using Ubuntu.

Possibly drivers, and I think it's a problem with flash too (only seems to happen on youtube). try opting into the html5 trial for youtube (if that's where you're getting problems), but it doesn't actually change anything for the majority of monetized videos. Other than that, not much else to suggest. I've found it SOMETIMES goes away when I end flash player with task manager (2 screens ftw).

HTTP/2 203

The problem has just come back for me and I have found that pressing "back" (thank god for mouse buttons!) for the browser appears to kinda fix it (obviously it's not a permanent fix). It must be a flash/firefox/AMD driver issue (haven't tried it on any other browser yet).

^This kinda works sometimes, but it happened again and this time it was worse, with me being forced to use the reset switch on my pc. I have now opened a support ticket with sapphire, who are the OEM for my card.

Edited by colonel_mortis

HTTP/2 203

The problem has just come back for me and I have found that pressing "back" (thank god for mouse buttons!) for the browser appears to kinda fix it (obviously it's not a permanent fix). It must be a flash/firefox/AMD driver issue (haven't tried it on any other browser yet).

^This kinda works sometimes, but it happened again and this time it was worse, with me being forced to use the reset switch on my pc. I have now opened a support ticket with sapphire, who are the OEM for my card.

Thanks. I didn't manage to get any of the tricks that you mentioned to work. It does seem to only be happening when I have flash running, and like you I haven't tried any other browser.

When you get a reply from Sapphire could you post it here please?  Or are you going to return your card? 

The bog standard response I received was:

Please check below steps,
1. Clear your motherboard CMOS first and update your motherboard chipset driver and BIOS to the latest version. Please note this.
2. Make sure the Windows OS you are using was up to date with all patches released from Microsoft.
3. Remove all you previous card drivers (Nvidia or ATI drivers)
4.  Install v13.6 beta driver
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-6WINBetaDriver.aspx

However, since restoring to stock speeds, I have had no issues. It was intermittent before though, so it might not mean anything.

HTTP/2 203

The bog standard response I received was:

However, since restoring to stock speeds, I have had no issues. It was intermittent before though, so it might not mean anything.

Thanks. I've done all of those things anyway. I've tried lowing my speeds from the manufacturer's OC to stock speeds, and even lower, but it still happens for me.

Looks like when i pull my DVI connect out of my monitor a bit. All i can suggest is to check the connections or try another cable unless the same thing happens when you plug the card into another monitor.

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's

Thanks. I've done all of those things anyway. I've tried lowing my speeds from the manufacturer's OC to stock speeds, and even lower, but it still happens for me.

Just to check, did you restart it? Not restarting seems to have been part of the problem I think, but I obviously don't know. Other than that, I'm not sure. What's your voltage at? Stock? If not, restore it back to stock as that may help too.

HTTP/2 203

When this started to happen to me my GPU died after a couple days. It was at stock clock speed and nothing was wrong with the temp.