Need an AM3 CPU

Speedbird
Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

You can get Athlon X4 640s quite cheap. Or if you'd like L3 cache a Phenom X2 555 and try your luck at unlocking the core(s).

Hi

I recently built a cheap AMD Sempron 145 system out of spare parts, to use when I don't have my main rig available. However, it looks like I'll be using for quite a long time now. Now, I do want to game on it, but nothing really serious. So, IF I find out that I can't run TF2 properly, what CPU should I get? The board is AM3+, but it's 760G, so I wouldn't really go for FX here.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

FX-6300 can run just fine on 760 if I recall correctly.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

what is your gpu

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

You can get Athlon X4 640s quite cheap. Or if you'd like L3 cache a Phenom X2 555 and try your luck at unlocking the core(s).

Dual core is enough for me, actually. Thanks!

FX-6300 can run just fine on 760 if I recall correctly.

760 can run a 6300. My grandpa has a 6300 on a 760g mobo.

TDP is a little high on that one. You sure it won't throttle?

Alright, does your Sempron 145 unlock to a dual core?

Haven't tried it yet, I can do it on Sunday.

It can run a 6300

I saw that you said a dual-core would be fine, so go with a Phenom X2 or an Athlon X2

Edited by Admiaczking

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

GT630

ok then you should be fine for the gpu since i can run tf2 on the lowest setting with intel hd graphics 2000 you will benifit more from a cpu upgrade so maybe get a fx 4xxx series cpu 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

TDP is a little high on that one. You sure it won't throttle?

It doesn't on his. I have it Oc'ed to 4.2 ghz on a corsair h70.

The 4.2ghz 6 core is a decent cpu.

It doesn't on his. I have it Oc'ed to 4.2 ghz on a corsair h70.

The 4.2ghz 6 core is a decent cpu.

It is more expensive than the other ones that people have posted. Does Piledriver have better performance than K10?

FX-6300 or FX-8320.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Found a Phenom X2 555 on eBay, will order one if I need one. Thanks.

Found a Phenom X2 555 on eBay, will order one if I need one. Thanks.

:) they can unlock to quads too. :) how much is the 555? make sure it's c3, they're better.

more unlikely to unlock too as C3 yields were much better than C2 which means less were faulty and more were locked for sales :P

:) they can unlock to quads too. :) how much is the 555?

About 40 euros IIRC, plus shipping.