Is this SSD a good purchase?

Hello, everyone!

I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about PC parts (for the most part), though I know there is still much I don't know. However, while browsing some deals on various parts I found this offer on Newegg Flash. In case the link goes bad, I'll put the information here as well:

The SSD in particular is a 90GB refurbished Corsair Force Series 3 (model number CSSD-F90GB3/RF2) which is currently being sold for $34.99 USD.

Now, I love the performance of solid state drives (I have a small one for Windows to boot from), however I don't have tons of money to spend. There is technically nothing wrong with my storage system right now as my 2TB HDD should last me for quite a while, though I know it's performance as it fills up will diminish significantly. Since I create a lot of content, when I saw this I got excited because, for such a small price, I could at least keep some programs on a SSD so even when my HDD fills up, my workflow won't slow down (as much).

But then comes the catch: it is a refurbished drive with only a 30 day warranty. Is it worth paying $35 for? Is there a high chance of me wasting that money completely if it fails in 31+ days (how likely is it that it would fail before I could get good use out of it)? I am basically asking if anyone know a reason why, for $35, this would be a bad purchase.

Also, I apologize in advance if this is not the place or way to post this kind of question. I only just recently joined the forums and know there are many helpful users on here so I figured it was worth a shot to get a few more opinions on this possible purchase.  ;)

Hi there!

I would personally buy a brand new one, i kinda hate second hand stuff :P

Also, 90gb is veeerrrrry small, 120 is okay-ish so you can atleast dump some more programs/games on it. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yeah, I suggest you get a 120GB just so you can have programs and a few games on it  (like Tro said above).

If this is your first time with an SSD I highly suggest you get a 240GB Crucial m500

I have one in my laptop to replace my HDD and its awesome.

JAGESHERMAST

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

Or at least a 120GB 90 is way too small

JAGESHERMAST

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

120GB minimum

never buy a used/refurbished SSD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you don't know what was done to the drive. Don't do it. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

If this is your first time with an SSD I highly suggest you get a 240GB Crucial m500

I have one in my laptop to replace my HDD and its awesome.

JAGESHERMAST

This is not my first time with a solid state, I have one as my primary drive.

you don't know what was done to the drive. Don't do it. 

That's a good point.

Hi there!

With new 120gb ssds starting at about 70$, you're better off getting one of those. Hell, I've seen kingston's v300 ssds go lower than 60 (I know they don't perform as advertised, but still, for that price they're not so bad an they're better than the refurbed one)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

First of all, thank you for all the responses so far. I'm glad that people have taken the time to reply to my question.

Second, I would like to make it clear that the only reason I ask this is because of how dirt cheap it is. I know there are many better options, but what I want to know is if this is a bad option considering the $35 price tag.

EDIT:

I also want to make it clear that this is not intended to be a primary drive! I already have 2 others!

Hi there!

But what are you going to use it for? It's small and, being an older drive, the performance is no where near what the newer, more modern drives are. I know... $35. Ok for an experiment I guess but not something I'd rely on.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Seeing how these drives had issues when they first came out (lots of DOA, recall was also made if im not mistaken),  sandforce itself (lots of potential issues here) and very slow async nand (good for only 200MB/s read and maybe 70MB/S write) i think you're throwing your 35 bucks away. Just save up a little and get a decent 120-240gb. Crucial has really great value drives nowdays..

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian