How can i exactly tell if a Hdd is dead?

nanowatt

The problem is this.I had a laptop in custody and i did the routine cleaning,windows,repairing....etc and one i was done it was working fine.I prove to the customer that the laptop is fine gave it to him and for 2 days it was fine he used it without any problems.Now he is telling me that is not working so i go and inspect it.The hdd is making some kind of noise and the error is this "A disk read error occurred".How can the hdd be dead when i myself installed the windows and all the shit?He even used it without any problems an the next day it was dead at fist he told me that it will stop working after 20-30 mins or display a white screen.

I will replace the man's Hdd if that is the problem

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Vivard on ultimate boot cd is a good test.

1. is it an older drive?

2. did he move the laptop around a lot while the drive was reading or writing?

1. is it an older drive?

Yea the latop is kida old about the second thing well idk didn't ask

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Maybe that clumsy guy dropped it while turned on. Could cause some invisible damage. 

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Yea the latop is kida old about the second thing well idk didn't ask

Well try the drive in a different computer.

Check the SMART readings

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Depending on how old the computer is a lot of them have built in hardware diagnostics. You can toy around, or just google the specific model and find out real quick. Otherwise do you have your own (PC Doctor, etc) if you are doing these repairs often? Like @ohJey said, check the SMART readings because those are very indicative of a failing drive. It's possible he could have dropped it or shifted it too much, but we never blame the customer in the business unless it's blatantly obvious (speculation will give you no return business.) Cheers!

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

1. is it an older drive?

Moving the laptop doesn't harm it. Most laptops lock down the hdd when it senses sudden movements.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

The problem is this.I had a laptop in custody and i did the routine cleaning,windows,repairing....etc and one i was done it was working fine.I prove to the customer that the laptop is fine gave it to him and for 2 days it was fine he used it without any problems.Now he is telling me that is not working so i go and inspect it.The hdd is making some kind of noise and the error is this "A disk read error occurred".How can the hdd be dead when i myself installed the windows and all the shit?He even used it without any problems an the next day it was dead at fist he told me that it will stop working after 20-30 mins or display a white screen.

I will replace the man's Hdd if that is the problem

I would say he did something to break the HDD like, dropped it or shook the computer around. Or it could have legitimately spontaneously just stopped working...

Depending on how old the computer is a lot of them have built in hardware diagnostics. You can toy around, or just google the specific model and find out real quick. Otherwise do you have your own (PC Doctor, etc) if you are doing these repairs often? Like @ohJey said, check the SMART readings because those are very indicative of a failing drive. It's possible he could have dropped it or shifted it too much, but we never blame the customer in the business unless it's blatantly obvious (speculation will give you no return business.) Cheers!

It's still sad because i gave him the latop in good conditions....is not about the money just the fact