Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 660

I bought the above graphics card a couple weeks ago for a new build. Its a fantastic card, capable of playing Metro: Last Light and Planetside 2 on high settings with more than acceptable framerates. I put it under 100% load through folding@home and the temps never exceeded 55 derees C at stock settings. 

There is only one problem I have, a high pitched whine is audible when the card is under load and the fans are at 50% (as measured in msi afterburner). The whine is very quiet but it definitely noticeable in a quiet room. I wanted to run folding@home 24/7 once I was back in a dorm room since I'm not paying for electricity there but the whine will probably stop that. 

So as much as this is a review I would also like to know if anyone knows of fixes for this problem. I'm keeping the card, the benefits are too good considering the sale I got it on but fixing this would be awesome :D

is it coil whining or the fans?

if it's the fans try a different setting 2-3% more or less could give a different sound.

if it's coil whining you can't really do something against it.

Can't you mitigate coil whine by adjusting voltage? Lower fan speed causes the noise to become quieter so I'm guessing it is the fans

I used to have the same card. I never had the coil whine problem you are talking about. Are you sure it is not your PSU? Otherwise you could try emailing Gigabyte customer support and submitting an RMA. The last card I had with significant coil whine was a gtx 460 so it should be unacceptable by now to just live with it.

CPU-[i5 3570k-4.6ghz at 1.33v]  GPU-[4gb Zotac GTX 680 1126 core 6800 mem]   MOBO-[Gigabyte Z77 UD4H]   PSU-[Corsair TX 650]   RAM-[2x8gb DDR3 1333 GSkill Ripjaws X]   Case-[Corsair 550D (2xNoctua NF-F12, 1xNoctua NF-A14 intake, 1xNoctua NF-A14 exhaust)]   CPU Cooler-[Noctua NH D14]   Boot Drive-[Crucial m4 256GB SSD]   Game Drive-[500GB Western Digital Caviar Black]   Storage Drive-[2.5" 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Black]   Sound Card-[Asus Xonar DG]   Optical Drive-[Lite-On IHAS-124]  Monitor-[Dell U2312HM] Keyboard-[CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-Brown Switches] Mouse-[Logitech G400] Speakers-[Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX]

This is the reason I don't buy gigabyte cards...

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

This is the reason I don't buy gigabyte cards...

Mine is so quiet. I don't see what people are complaining about. I guess it varies

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Built a system with that exact card, and it didn't have that problem. My own Windforce 7870 doesn't have that issue, either. Maybe you should contact Gigabyte.

I have a 680 windforce card, it's the most quiet card I've ever owned.  I'm sure you could get an RMA on it if it's that bad.  Only bad thing about the windforce cooler in my opinion is the plastic is pretty flimsy.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."