Picking a Dorm Security Camera

Couldn't find a category to put this in, so if it belongs somewhere else just drop it in.

In my boarding school over the past few weeks there has been some serious thefts in dorms, where a person, who seems to have a dorm master key, would simply open doors and take whatever of value is around. 

As modification of dorm doors and locks is prohibited, and as i have no experience with Security cameras, i'd thought id ask here. 

Anyone know of a security camera, hidden or ceiling mounted if possible, that could both record to an external harddrive and be checked on throughout the day by phone or laptop? 

Campus wifi is free and fast, so anything a little hindering would be fine. A motion sensor would also be a nice feature, but i have a few gig heavy harddrive lying around I could use, so storage space isn't really an issue. 

Thanks for all your help

Dont hide the camera if your trying to scare intruders away. Put it in plain sight. 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I got a 50e Ip cam, cinnected via wifi, set it up to take pictures on motion detection and connected it to my ftp server (which you can get for free). Works like a charm and it can even be set up to send pics to your email. If you record locally on a HDD you risk it being discovered and taken along with the camera and proof so you are out of luck that way. Best 50e spent ever! :D

Dont hide the camera if your trying to scare intruders away. Put it in plain sight. 

he would take it....

he would take it....

but you would have a photo of the guy in the cloud so you can go find him with your gun and take his/her stuff while you get yours back.

but you would have a photo of the guy in the cloud so you can go find him with your gun and take his/her stuff while you get yours back.

That's the dumbest thing to do, have you no sense?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

That's the dumbest thing to do, have you no sense?

Even if it was just a dummy camera, It would scare of 99% of criminals who would steal from a dorm.

People wouldn't want to get caught so they would leave quickly, And Also they wouldn't be wearing masks to hide their identities since It would be very suspicious in a dorm.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Even if it was just a dummy camera, It would scare of 99% of criminals who would steal from a dorm.

People wouldn't want to get caught so they would leave quickly, And Also they wouldn't be wearing masks to hide their identities since It would be very suspicious in a dorm.

No I'm talking about how mad dudy said he would go to the robber's place with a gun.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

No I'm talking about how mad dudy said he would go to the robber's place with a gun.

Nope, that's actually the best thing to do. Even better if they live in da hood with dogs, loud music 24/7 and have been in jail.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Nope, that's actually the best thing to do. Even better if they live in da hood with dogs, loud music 24/7 and have been in jail.

In that situation, you are as much a threat to the robber's life as he is to your's. If you stay away, you have the best chance of safety. If you decide to go guns blazing you will probably be killed or arrested. Your choice.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

In that situation, you are as much a threat to the robber's life as he is to your's. If you stay away, you have the best chance of safety. If you decide to go guns blazing you will probably be killed or arrested. Your choice.

Dude I have one word for ya: Y O L O.

#SarcasmON #incaseyoudidntgetit<3

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Dude I have one word for ya: Y O L O.

#SarcasmON #incaseyoudidntgetit<3

With new people to the forum like you I can never tell...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler