Is Mechanical Keyboard worth buying for Programmer?

Ryou-kun

If you're making money by typing I see it as an investment, and one worth making. It makes me enjoy using my computer more which is a good motivation for when you're too tired to keep working.

Let us know your budget and I too recommend getting sampler if you've never tried the switches before.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Define "affordable". Most mechanical keyboard are between $70 and $100. Some are below $70 and many are above $100, but that's generally what I'd call the "reasonable" price range for mechanical keyboards. 

I still recommend the one I listed.

Let say which one is the best bang for the buck yet it is good.

Guys, remember what's important here. What matters most is that we get into stupid fights about Backspace vs. Delete and Operating systems.

:mellow:

Back on topic... do you have a price range for a keyboard? Would you like a numpad? Try taking this little quiz to see what might suit you best, and tell us what you pick, and we may be able to recommend things!

Cherry MX 3.0 Mechanical Keyboard (Red Cherry MX)

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=655

That is what I got.

Hmm, the design doesn't look too appealing to me. I mean the keys looks a bit cramp together, and may annoy me whenever I type.

I have a wide shoulder or whatever you called. Having a small keyboard/cramp keyboard, it is going to annoy the crap out of me.

Let say which one is the best bang for the buck yet it is good.

Then for me that'd be the Monoprice Blue Switch mechanical keyboard. It's $54 and Blue switches. That's all you get, but it's the cheapest way to get a mechanical keyboard and it's pretty high quality for what it is imo.

Obviously that doesn't stick to your requirements of red backlighting and whatnot, but you should realize that getting a specific backlighting with a specific switch type is hard because they like to make them match. i.e. red switches get red backlighting, browns get white, blacks get white, and blues get blue. Usually. There are exceptions, but they are rare. 

So getting red backlighting with Brown or Blue switches might be hard while also trying to keep it reasonable. 

Based on PCPartPicker, the cheapest Keyboard with either Brown or Blue switches that also has red backlighting is $100. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Then for me that'd be the Monoprice Blue Switch mechanical keyboard. It's $54 and Blue switches. That's all you get, but it's the cheapest way to get a mechanical keyboard and it's pretty high quality for what it is imo.

Obviously that doesn't stick to your requirements of red backlighting and whatnot, but you should realize that getting a specific backlighting with a specific switch type is hard because they like to make them match. i.e. red switches get red backlighting, browns get white, blacks get white, and blues get blue. Usually. There are exceptions, but they are rare. 

So getting red backlighting with Brown or Blue switches might be hard while also trying to keep it reasonable. 

Based on PCPartPicker, the cheapest Keyboard with either Brown or Blue switches that also has red backlighting is $100. 

Is it true that Red Switches are bad at typing, and they are better off for gaming?

I am just curious.

Is it true that Red Switches are bad at typing, and they are better off for gaming?

I am just curious.

Depends how you type. 

I own three keyboards. One Blue switch, one Red, and one Brown. Overall, my favorite is the Brown by a lot. Blues are second, and Reds are third specifically because I type a lot.

When I'm reading while thinking of something to type, I rest my fingers on the keyboard. This causes me to press keys accidentally on a Red Switch keyboard while on Brown or Blue, this doesn't happen. It also means that when I "near miss" a key while typing, such as barely hitting it while nudging another key beside it, I actuate both keys and typo, which also doesn't happen with the other switches.

So yeah. I wouldn't get a Red switch keyboard for anything involving extensive typing such as for a programmer. I also found that it actually hurt my gaming because the same near miss thing would cause me to mess up when, say, throwing a frag in BF4, I would accidentally activate my flash light which would give away my position. Little stuff like that gets really annoying when it happens every other match. 

That's my experience with Red switches, but it's a personal thing. Regardless, I would recommend against them for anything really.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It kinda is, just not certificated because that costs quite a lot of money.

No it's really not...and again with you chiming in on subjects you don't understand. PLEASE! Just PLEASE stop.

It also doesn't cost a lot of money. If it meets a list of standardized features, it's UNIX compliant. Linux does not. OS X does.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Blues are good for typing and will improve your typing.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I do enjoy my mechanical keyboard vs a traditional membrance keyboard for typing. I've personally noticed a difference between my typing speeds when I've tried to go back to my membrane keyboard. I would recommend mine (Coolermaster Quickfire TK), but it  lacks a full dedicated NumPad, which may be a make/break for you.

The only thing I would say I don't like about it is that my switches (blues), although great for typing, are loud and I can't bring this to school to supplement my laptops keyboard if I need to.

No it's really not...and again with you chiming in on subjects you don't understand. PLEASE! Just PLEASE stop.

It also doesn't cost a lot of money. If it meets a list of standardized features, it's UNIX compliant. Linux does not. OS X does.

Calling Linux not UNIX...what's wrong with you man.It's UNIX-like,but not certified.

"

UNIX is a registered trade mark of The Open Group. The trade mark has had an eventful history, and it's not completely clear that it's not genericized due to the widespread usage of “Unix” refering to Unix-like systems (see below). Currently the Open Group grants use of the trade mark to any system that passes a Single UNIX certification. See also Why is there a * When There is Mention of Unix Throughout the Internet?.

Unix is an operating system that was born in 1969 at Bell Labs. Various companies sold, and still sell, code derived from this original system, for example AIX, HP-UX, Solaris. See also Evolution of Operating systems from Unix.

There are many systems that are Unix-like, in that they offer similar interfaces to programmers, users and administrators. The oldest production system is the Berkeley Software Distribution, which gradually evolved from Unix-based (i.e. containing code derived from the original implementation) to Unix-like (i.e. having a similar interface). There are many BSD-based or BSD-derived operating systems: FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X, etc. Other examples include OSF/1 (now discontinued, it was a commercial Unix-like non-Unix-based system), Minix (originally a toy Unix-like operating system used as a teaching tool, now a production embedded Unix-like system), and most famously Linux.

Strictly speaking, Linux is an operating system kernel that is designed like Unix's kernel.

Linux is most commonly used as a name of Unix-like operating systems that use Linux as their kernel. As many of the tools outside the kernel are part of the GNU project, such systems are often known as GNU/Linux. All major Linux distributions consist of GNU/Linux and other software.

There are Linux-based Unix-like systems that don't use many GNU tools, especially in the embedded world, but I don't think any of them does away with GNU development tools, in particular GCC.

There are operating systems that have Linux as their kernel but are not Unix-like. The most well-known is Android, which doesn't have a Unix-like user experience (though you can install a Unix-like command line) or administrator experience or (mostly) programmer experience (“native” Android programs use an API that is completely different from Unix).

To get a certification you need to pay, and it's actually really expensive, this is what BSD like and GNU/Linux operating system vendors like don't apply to it.

So there is even not a reason to check whatever or not GNU/Linux is compliant.

Most of all the GNU/LInux distribution follows the Linux Standard Base, that is free of charge and recognized by almost all the Linux vendors.

<Linus (and people involved in the development of other parts of Linux distributions) follow the pragmatic guideline to make it as close to POSIX as is worthwhile. There are parts of POSIX (like the (in)famous STREAMS) that are ill-conceived, impossible to implement efficiently, or just codification of historic relics that should be replaced by something better>

Threfore, does it makes harder to obtain a certification?

<sure. POSIX mandates some interface, which Linux just won't ever have. Case closed.> "

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

If you care about your typing experience and typing faster and more comfortably.  Then probably yes, but it might not be more comfortable and faster and it won't make you any better as a programmer.  

If you are aware it won't directly affect your programming skills then go ahead.  Just make sure your getting it for the right reasons. 

Yes, anymore questions.

I guess no more.

Too bad I can't get either blue or brown switches with red lit keyboard to match my PC setup.

I mean it does look badass but oh well. I can work with a blue lit keyboard.

Minus the few people who are out of nowhere arguing about the OS.

Oh yeah, I remember something that I heard.

Wasn't there a mechanical keyboard that allows you to customize the backlit any colors you want; was it a Corsair RGB?

How much does they cost?

I guess no more.

Too bad I can't get either blue or brown switches with red lit keyboard to match my PC setup.

I mean it does look badass but oh well. I can work with a blue lit keyboard.

Minus the few people who are out of nowhere arguing about the OS.

Oh yeah, I remember something that I heard.

Wasn't there a mechanical keyboard that allows you to customize the backlit any colors you want; was it a Corsair RGB?

How much does they cost?

just get a stright black board with no leds, matches everything. Yo ucould also look into white backligting if you need backlighting.

Corsair K65, K70, K95 RGB, Razer Blackwidow Chroma, and the enw logitech one. I think testaroso has a board too.

It's a keyboard.

It won't magically make you better.

If you have the money for it,then why not.

A mech might give him a higher wpm and motiovate him to type more. I know i randomly typed when i got my keyboard,

-snip-

This is really funny because I wrote a 700 word essay on this precise subject. UNIX certification is not expensive, I've looked into the costs myself on several occasions. The reason why Linux is not certified is because Linux as a project is constantly evolving and it would be useless. It's not a bad thing, and I never denied that it would might be difficult to get certification, however the post I made was addressing the assertion you made that Linux was SUS compliant, which it isn't.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

just get a stright black board with no leds, matches everything. Yo ucould also look into white backligting if you need backlighting.

Corsair K65, K70, K95 RGB, Razer Blackwidow Chroma, and the enw logitech one. I think testaroso has a board too.

Where are the other new mechanical keyboards that I should wait?

Where are the other new mechanical keyboards that I should wait?

other new ones? and what are you waiting for?

other new ones? and what are you waiting for?

I have no idea. What are the other mechanical keyboard I should wait for?

I have no idea. What are the other mechanical keyboard I should wait for?

None, at least on the retail front and the custom front works at a snails pace.

None, at least on the retail front and the custom front works at a snails pace.

I meant the one that are coming out soon.

I meant the one that are coming out soon.

Which I already answered none. This is partially because most keyboard stuff has been exhausted for the most part, as in your unlikely to see anything new anytime soon.

Which I already answered non. This is partially because most keyboard stuff has been exhausted for the most part, as in your unlikely to see anything new anytime soon.

Ah, I see.

Also by the way, is Macro Keys worth it?

I have a Logitech G700s that has several extra buttons for it. Even though I rarely use it other, I just can't help and think, "What if there is a chance that I would be able to use the macro keys on a keyboard."

Ah, I see.

Also by the way, is Macro Keys worth it?

I have a Logitech G700s that has several extra buttons for it. Even though I rarely use it other, I just can't help and think, "What if there is a chance that I would be able to use the macro keys on a keyboard."

Well if you dont use them on your G700s then probably not. i use all the buttons on my G700s and also use a orbweaver for gaming. I kinda had to make a point to use them but once I did im never going back. other than direct remaps I see little use for gaming though.

Well if you dont use them on your G700sb then probably not. i use all the buttons on my G700s and also use a orbweaver for gaming. I kinda had to make a point to use them but once I did im never going back. other than direct remaps I see little use for gaming though.

I can't denied about the gaming part.

I was thinking to use the keyboard macro keys to have an input programming codes, but oh well I guess. They do lack some features compare to non macro keyboards.

Thanks for the help though.